Jobs < 36 hrs. Per Week w/ Full Benefits?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Out a 1 on Friday's sounds like a dream

My current job is essentially Mon-Thurs. Friday consists of admin from home, but admin usually only takes about an hour to do, and there might be the occasional quick conference call. Just have to be available via Skype, but 99% I get about 1 Skype message a month on Fridays. Last Friday I played Madden for like 7 hours.

• Winner
Reactions: khardbored

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I know this might be wishful thinking, and totally OK if it is. But, Cyclone Fanatic is the best resource on the internet for general info, so why not ask!?!

I'm looking for a job change. Wonder if there are any companies out there in the Des Moines area that will hire you to a post that's 36 hours per week or less, but with decent pay (say $40K+ annual) and standard medical benefits? Not a commission-based job, I need stability.

My logic is that I'd like to invest a little time in a side business, but can't afford to stop working. Also, I carry the health insurance for my family which is very important to us. I am willing to take a little bit of a pay cut (right now I make on the + side of $50 K)

Just looking for options. I have 15 ish years of general experience in office work, insurance, customer service, etc., so I have something to offer. But I don't have a special trade like dental skills, etc.

(Hoping there are at least a couple serious answers among the sarcastic ones!)
My wife has worked 36 hours a week for 30 years full benefits. Raising our kids was a easier on us than most families with two wage earners. Her retirement has suffered but hey, money isn't everything. Just live within your means and save what you can.

skibumspe

Oct 8, 2006
South Korea
Not a DSM option but if the timing is right (OP or others), there's an unbelievable world out there providing great opportunities given the right circumstances & qualifications.

My last university gig in Korea included:
  • Unbelievable (socialized) medical - ~$50/month deducted from salary;
  • Retirement + severance (regardless of years w/school) - amount varied;
  • Free furnished housing or allowance - free=only utilities, allowance=$350-600/month;
  • 12-15 teaching hours/week - 3 or 4 days;
  • Summer/Winter options but not required - generous pay beyond regular salary;
  • Extra hours/pay available during the semester but not required;
  • ~$45,000 (no extra classes) - expenses (utilities, phone, transport) under $100.
  • FOUR MONTHS PAID VACATION!!
South Korea also has:
  • Absolutely amazing, inexpensive, & convenient public transportation (some schools offer transportation or an allowance for this, too);
  • Lovely people, great food, good outdoor activities (hiking, skiing, water, etc.);
  • Inexpensive flights across Asia/SE Asia & phenomenal customer service;
  • Educators are valued as an integral part of economic & social development.

Vietnam for two years (crazy money but stupid long hours) & now Cambodia making less money but enjoying a very different experience.

Planning to head back to SK in the next couple years to complete my Doctorate in Ed....for less than $10k while also working 'full-time'!

I understand it isn't a viable option for everyone but definitely worth looking into. I have friends & family living across the globe working (short & long term) in various fields.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My wife works at DST (now SS&C) here in KC and she works with several part-time (32-34 hours) people that get benefits. They range from programming to client support. I'd be a little surprised if there aren't some financial companies in Des Moines that offer similar options.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
I knew someone who was a programmer but worked on the side selling cars at CarMax. He ended up quiting the programming job and going full-time at CM.