How did Iowa State become a "Busch Light" fan following?

What's your favorite beer?

• Total voters

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Old-timer here. Light beer is a waste of brewing.

My sentimental favorite is Grain Belt. College time binge brew was Old Milwaukee.
tenor.gif

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
HS = High Life & Natty Lite/Ice & Bud Ice

College = Keystone & Rolling Rock & Leinenkugels & Olympia & coots banquet

Immediate post college = Busch light & coors light

I have money post college phase = Sierra Nevada pale ale, anchor steam, coors light, Busch light

Now = IPA (prefer DSM IPA), pseudo Sue, seventh son brewery beers (CBus brewery), coors light, Busch light

I’ve also always loved champagne:

College: Cook’s or Andre
Immediate post college: martini and Rossi

I have money post college phase: Chandon

Now: back to martini and Rossi because I pound bottles like I’m in the VIP lounge at a rap show

Reactions: Cypwr

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Grew up in Cedar Falls and it was the staple there. Occasionally you could get 2 30-packs for less than $20 in the early 2000’s at Music Station on 1st Street.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I was in Ames from '94-'99 and I don't recall drinking Busch Light. Lots of Keystone and Natty.

I do like Busch heavy; I think it's an excellent pool/lake beer. Not as harsh as Budweiser, not as watery as light beers. It's a little hard to find in AZ though - 30 packs are it, and most places don't carry it. I don't drink as much as I used to so going through a 30 pack takes me awhile.

I'd prefer a craft beer but if domestic is the only option, Coors Banquet is what I go with down here.

Reactions: dirtyninety

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I prefer Coors Light, but Busch Light is a close second. Pretty good taste for a light beer and excellent for tailgating. Bud Light can burn in hell though, straight garbage.
same I'm a Coors fan but Busch is good to, hell all the light beers work for me honestly I could care less as long as it's cold.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
The ineffectiveness of light beer combined with the shittiness of ice beer. Amazing.

LOL....I just don't get this Light/Lite beer thing....It's water! I literally have to drink 7 or so to remove the anguish of watching our 3rd down and 8, 5 yard pass routes. What is the Vape of Iowa State? Just curious. Juul???

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
PBR is the only cheap beer worth drinking. Get the hell outta here with that Busch light ****.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Grew up in Cedar Falls and it was the staple there. Occasionally you could get 2 30-packs for less than $20 in the early 2000’s at Music Station on 1st Street.

Music station is great. Always cheap deals if you are willing to buy 2-3 30s at a time.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
It became an Iowa cult following thing a few years ago. A badge of honor for being rural, folksy, and cheap.

Always been the staple in rural Iowa and picked up steam a few years ago on Twitter.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
When you’re in high school and have a hook up, you always buy 2-3 30’s at a time lol. Gotta make sure to stay stocked up.

My uncle had a beer fridge in the equipment shed at his house. His kids were little when I was in high school. A friend and I used the fridge for a couple of years as our stockpile place before he caught on. When he finally asked me about it, I fessed up and he laughed and said "I always wondered why there was usually more beer in my fridge than I remembered buying." He didn't drink much so I don't think he paid much attention.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
There were no light beers when I was in college. Miller Lite was around regionally but not in Iowa and not nationally till later. I had only heard of it because a diabetic friend of my mother obtained some and thought it would be okay for her to drink this new "diet" beer. We college boys drank a lot a Budweiser and PBR. Hell, I think PBR was the ONLY beer you could get at That Place on Main Street. It was always a big deal when classmates came back from break with regional beers. NY roomie brought back Rolling Rock one quarter and we stupidly thought it was good. :rolleyes: And Coors, not sold in Iowa, was big treat. Weird times.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron