How did Iowa State become a "Busch Light" fan following?

What's your favorite beer?

• Total voters

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
When I went to ISU (95-99), we drank Beast Light (aka Milwaukee's Best Light) at school as it was something like $5 for case.

My stepdad always had Busch and Busch light in the fridge when I went home, and that is how I became a big drinker of it.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Natty Ice was the big thing when I was in school in 2002-2006ish

We lived on Natty Ice & Keystone Ice 2005-2009. We'd go to their 'light' counterparts when we felt like being responsible.

Not only are they 6 more beers than a bud/busch, but they're cheaper too.

Nowadays I'll keep a stock of Busch Light on hand for tailgates/other binge occasions, but typically pick up a new 6 pack of craft beer once a month or so.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Busch Light became my cheap beer of choice after college. I take it to the lake in the summer and to tailgates. But at ISU from 2011-15, it was always Keystone, or if I wanted to do something stupid, a sixer of Steel Reserve tall boys
I occasionally bring this in honor of Steele Jantz

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Natty Ice was the big thing when I was in school in 2002-2006ish

I'm the same era-ish, and that was just because you could always find it for $5.99/case on fire sale at the Keg Shop.

I had no brand loyalty in college. Whatever was on sale at the Keg Shop is what I drank. Beast Ice, Red Dog, Ice House, Bud Ice Light (yes, that's a real thing), Old Mil, Twisted Tea, Schmitt's, whatever.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Same with SE Iowa

Same with NE Iowa. Dubuque county its just called Buschwater.

True story: co-worker went out to nice dinner at nice restaurant with her husband, a fairly Basic Iowa Boy. She ordered glass of wine, he asked for beer choices and of course all craft/IPA/import - he no likey. He said "wish I could just get a Busch Light" thus embarrassing his wife. She says "well, they'd probably have to bring it in a brown paper bag".

Waitress comes back with a tall boy Busch Light in a brown paper bag. Wife was absolutely mortified (eventually she laughed), husband was smiling ear to ear.

Excellent work by the waitress.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
When I went to ISU (95-99), we drank Beast Light (aka Milwaukee's Best Light) at school as it was something like $5 for case..

Beast Lite was our beer of choice from 90-94 as well. SOOOOO cheap.

Don't let it freeze in your dorm fridge though...

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
When I was at ISU everything was bud light. It wasn't much more expensive than busch light, and at least my drinking group, we always had a few extra bucks to avoid keystone or natty light. Thank god for donating plasma. :D

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and Macloney

KCCLONE712

Jun 29, 2011
We lived on Natty Ice & Keystone Ice 2005-2009. We'd go to their 'light' counterparts when we felt like being responsible.

Nowadays I'll keep a stock of Busch Light on hand for tailgates/other binge occasions, but typically pick up a new 6 pack of craft beer once a month or so.

Once a month my a@@

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I've never had a 'Busch Latte' since I am a stout/craft beer/euro-trash-wannabe-snob, but as I understand it it is less that "all the students prefer it" (as you note it has "competition"...race to the bottom? ahem...from Natural Ice/Light, etc), but I think statewide and therefore tailgaters-at-large is where it is the top choice, followed of course by the viral stories of ISU fans drinking the bars dry of their limited supplies in Memphis, San Antonio, etc.

This map from this article was one of the early notes about it...but then again it is based on "tweets" so maybe @ChrisMWilliams memed it into reality :

https://www.vox.com/2014/5/7/5687138/americas-taste-in-beer-in-five-maps
upload_2019-9-12_17-6-49.png
upload_2019-9-12_17-7-56.png

Last edited:

OldEagle

Dec 15, 2017
Way back, Old Mill Light or Reg. $1.00 6 pack bottles @ old HyVee across from Helser. Keg war going on - $8 pony kegs. !975-79. Weekends were kind of blury.......

Reactions: jmeeksISU

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

I remember Keystone ice. 7 bucks for a 12 pack, with the alcohol content basically 24 regular Stones. Back in college it was Keystone Ice/Regular, Busch Light, a little Natty Ice here and there.

I haven't touched a Keystone since college.

• Agree
Reactions: wclarson

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm the same era-ish, and that was just because you could always find it for $5.99/case on fire sale at the Keg Shop.

I had no brand loyalty in college. Whatever was on sale at the Keg Shop is what I drank. Beast Ice, Red Dog, Ice House, Bud Ice Light (yes, that's a real thing), Old Mil, Twisted Tea, Schmitt's, whatever.

Did you "beware the penguins"?

hnxdfs4kyq221.jpg

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
When I was there it was whatever we could get cheeeeeep. HyVee Regal Beer for less than $5 a case. Keystone something for like $35 a keg. Busch Light was probably the good stuff for those special occasions. But otherwise who cares when you are shotgunning it.
I do miss the $5 glass nights at the bars, that you could fill all night long with whatever you wanted. Man, could I get my moneys worth.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
First time I got **** bag D-runk was on Busch. Not the light ****. Busch heavy.

It's been all downhill since.

But unless you're a 13 years old and drinking at a wedding there's no reason for not upgrading to a better beer.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Its cult status seemed to pick up a couple of years ago. It was then quickly adopted by the smalltown folks that really want to show you just how much they like cheap light beer. It's a weird cultural showcase that Iowans in general have latched on to.

For the record, Busch Light is fine, especially if tailgating or on a boat.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyched