How did Iowa State become a "Busch Light" fan following?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

What's your favorite beer?

• Total voters

hall4cy

Oct 22, 2007
Dallas, TX
I went to Iowa State from 01-05 and no one really drank Busch Light. If you went out east to Iowa City and UNI, you saw people drinking it there. It seemed like Keystone, Natural Light, and Bud Light were the top 3 beers of choice at every tailgate or house party on campus. Natty Light and Keystone were both 30 packs and us poor college kids always bought it for the extra 6 beers at the same price. The first time I ever really heard people drank it much in Ames was when Chris started writing about it being his beer of choice.

Lastly, I will probably get torched for this, but.... BUSCH LIGHT SUCKS!!!! I'd much rather drink a shiner bock, bud or even coors light before you got me dipping into that crap.

Go State!

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
source.gif

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I like Busch Light. It kind of got it's start because it was lower calorie than the other light beers. So Busch light tasted good and it was not calorie loading. Now saying that you drink 12 of anything and it's kind of don't matter. Mich Ultra is the other popular one in central Iowa for the exact same reason

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I like Busch Light. It kind of got it's start because it was lower calorie than the other light beers. So Busch light tasted good and it was not calorie loading. Now saying that you drink 12 of anything and it's kind of don't matter. Mich Ultra is the other popular one in central Iowa for the exact same reason
I've drank a crap load of Busch Light and it's calorie count had absolutely nothing to do with it.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Keystone or Natty Light were the cheap beer choices when I was in college. Not sure how the obsession started, but it kind of makes sense. Cheap light beer that doesn't have much taste, which makes it ideal for consuming lots of them at a tailgate.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I've drank a crap load of Busch Light and it's calorie count had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I work part time serving beer and I am ask a lot what beer has the lowest Calories. Busch light is always the answer. I am not saying everyone drinks it for that reason. I am just saying a lot of people, including women, like the lower calorie and less bloated feeling Busch light has.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Grew up in NW IA and Busch Light has been the flagship beer for as long as I can remember.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I don't drink it. But I pretend to like it, to be ironic. Am I doing this right?

I know people get annoyed with the TBL / ISU love fest, but I think it's endearing.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
My go to is Busch light, Coors light isn't bad either. I do not like Bud light or Queefstone light.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
Busch Light became my cheap beer of choice after college. I take it to the lake in the summer and to tailgates. But at ISU from 2011-15, it was always Keystone, or if I wanted to do something stupid, a sixer of Steel Reserve tall boys