I-35 / US 30 Flyover Progress

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I was telling my wife the other day how funny it is that a flyover gets news coverage. Any other city, its just part of the infrastructure.

Yeah, it seems like texas slaps up a new one weekly. They'd never have room for any other news if they were covering each flyover.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Yeah, it seems like texas slaps up a new one weekly. They'd never have room for any other news if they were covering each flyover.

All the work done in Council Bluffs is much more scope than this bridge and unless Omaha covers it like crazy, never hear about it here.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I'm going to die driving over this thing, I just know it.
Yeah I have visions of the I-35 bridge in the Cities or the double decker collapse in San Fran during the earthquake etc.
Just waiting for the episode of Engineering Disasters on the History Channel about it.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I can't believe they made it 2 lanes and will have the SB traffic merging with the right lane of the NB traffic immediately.

Lane 1 - 30 WB
Lane 2 - 30 WB
Lane 3 - 35 NB
Lane 4 - 35 NB
Lane 5 - 35 SB

#4 and #5 combine right away at the end of the flyover. Then there's about 8-9 seconds at highway speed before #4 becomes the Dayton exit (exit only). Then another 5-6 seconds until #3 goes away, just in time for WB traffic entering from Dayton. That whole space will be a cluster on game days.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Just hoping some early drinking fans don't cause an accident Saturday morning. I guess they can always reopen the current exit.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008

Houston did have a Huey Lewis concert on the roadway when the beltway was opened back in 1990. They had free popcorn and so much of it got trampled into the road they had to delay the opening to clean it up.

• Funny
Reactions: Cypwr

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Houston did have a Huey Lewis concert on the roadway when the beltway was opened back in 1990. They had free popcorn and so much of it got trampled into the road they had to delay the opening to clean it up.

When i said they wouldnt have any other news, i didnt anticipate being corrected with Huey Lewis and the News

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Money says unless it's enforced that traffic will be much faster than that.

ETA: Yellow sign is technically only an advisory if I remember correctly.
Wait is that correct? I thought the yellow speed limit on curves etc. was considered the limit at that location? Is it only a suggestion/advisory speed? Has it changed or am I just not remembering it right?

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Wait is that correct? I thought the yellow speed limit on curves etc. was considered the limit at that location? Is it only a suggestion/advisory speed? Has it changed or am I just not remembering it right?

I may be wrong.

I treat them as advisories ;)

I understand them to be a warning of the DOT considers the "safe" speed, however, they are not regulated. If you get in an accident above the advisory speed that could be factored into the fines/charges.

https://iowadot.gov/traffic/manuals/pdf/speedlimitbrochure.pdf

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I may be wrong.

I treat them as advisories ;)

I understand them to be a warning of the DOT considers the "safe" speed, however, they are not regulated. If you get in an accident above the advisory speed that could be factored into the fines/charges.

https://iowadot.gov/traffic/manuals/pdf/speedlimitbrochure.pdf

Not clicking that link, but I have been under the assumption/convinced myself that thise are mainly advisories for fully loaded semis. My car is less likely to tip over/lose controll so i feel safer going faster than these speeds.