NW Gate for Iowa Game

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyFan123

Jan 20, 2015
How long did it take to get through the NW gate for the UNI game? Seats are in Section 12 and trying to plan quickest way to get there from B5.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
EL-O-EL...

It took us 25+ minutes to get through, so I’m sure this one will be worse. Probably would move faster if they moved the bag check out and people didn’t stand still hovering around the trash cans to finish their beers...keep ‘em in the tailgate folks.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I have every intention of going around to the south gates this time. NW gate was a JOKE, it was almost as bad as "The Great Ticket Tearoff Barcode Disaster" of a few years ago...

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
EL-O-EL...

It took us 25+ minutes to get through, so I’m sure this one will be worse. Probably would move faster if they moved the bag check out and people didn’t stand still hovering around the trash cans to finish their beers...keep ‘em in the tailgate folks.

It shouldn't be worse, at least in theory. I would assume they took note of the wait times and will do something to speed things up. And for all the extra people showing up for GameDay and tailgating, the in-stadium crowd won't be any bigger than UNI.

EDIT:
It's also worth remembering that if they close the grass parking lots due to rain, game-entry "traffic patterns" will probably change too. I have no idea how that would play out, but as one example...if they move G7 to VetMed as they have in past years, all that traffic probably enters through the south now.

Last edited:

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
To be honest I think people just need to go in a bit earlier. I think we actually got in quicker since they seemed to have spaced out the bag checks and the tickets. If 20,000 people want to go through that gate at the same time of course your going to have issues.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
To be honest I think people just need to go in a bit earlier. I think we actually got in quicker since they seemed to have spaced out the bag checks and the tickets. If 20,000 people want to go through that gate at the same time of course your going to have issues.

We went through it about 40 minutes before kickoff for UNI and it only took maybe 5 minutes. Definitely not more than 10.

• Agree
Reactions: derpyherky

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Are you referring to Gate 4 as the NW Gate?

We were walking from Vet Med. Thought about going in the Sukup Gate, but decided to walk around to Gate 4. Basically walked right through.
This was probably 20 minutes before kick off. Got to our seats about 10 minutes before the team entrance.

Reactions: jay moe

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
We've found, both UNI and years past, that if the band is already in, we have a wait at the NW gate. Have followed the band, as they part the crowd and we slip in right behind them, but that takes timing and actually paying attention to the band...

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Was there a half hour before game time. Line moved hideously slow until about 5 minutes before game time. Scanner people sucked till they finally found a quicker gear. Concession lines sucked. Everything understaffed and it seemed like poor planning in anticipating food demand and notoriously slow wait staff that was working. Waited in concession line for half an hour and moved 3 feet . Finally gave up. Lots heads up rear ends. Lot of money left on the table.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We've found, both UNI and years past, that if the band is already in, we have a wait at the NW gate. Have followed the band, as they part the crowd and we slip in right behind them, but that takes timing and actually paying attention to the band...

It appeared at the UNI game that the band went in the south side like they used to but then went all the way around the west concourse to get down to the field at the NW side.