Updated Depth Chart

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
None taken. I’m just giving my opinion.

Rose struggled in coverage at times playing outside. Tough for him to stay with the slot receiver all game. May be different Saturday, as I don't think Iowa will line-up 4 wide as much as UNI did.

• Agree
Reactions: Gunnerclone

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Rose struggled in coverage at times playing outside. Tough for him to stay with the slot receiver all game. May be different Saturday, as I don't think Iowa will line-up 4 wide as much as UNI did.
This is correct. Rose made some plays in the run game outside, and pressured the QB when they brought him. However, I cringed when I saw him lined up against a wr in the slot, or even a rb.

I get they were mostly zone, but why bulk him up just to move him to outside coverage? I'm not sure he has the lateral quickness and athleticism to be covering wrs, and quick rbs. He was beat a few times.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I could see Iowa using some 4 wide after watching the UNI film.

Reactions: Billups06

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I could see Iowa using some 4 wide after watching the UNI film.

I hope they throw A LOT. But doubtful, KF will use his clock killing strategy. I think if we can get a TO (even just one) and not turn it over ourselves we have a great chance of winning. Flip that and I feel like we have no chance.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
How many LBs in the country can cover slot WR one on one? I'll say few if any. If Rose was in man out there, yeah that's not a great option. Without looking, I'll bet it wasn't used much.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
I hope they throw A LOT. But doubtful, KF will use his clock killing strategy. I think if we can get a TO (even just one) and not turn it over ourselves we have a great chance of winning. Flip that and I feel like we have no chance.

I'm of the same mindset; if we can be a plus in the turnover statistic, it greatly enhances this defense (obviously) and its pressure packages. Think about the game last year, outside of our punting, there were only a few plays that decided the game (Long pass that set up Iowa's TD in the 4th Qtr, ISU's inability to score at Iowa's 1 yard line, Zeb Noland sack-fumble). A turnover in ISU's favor would hopefully go a long way.

Ultimately, I think this game rests on our O-line. We never sniffed the red-zone after our first drive last year and struggled rushing/pass protecting. Anything resembling last year's offensive output (transitive property, I know), or our inability to score touchdowns like the UNI game, I think Iowa wins by 7+ again.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
How many LBs in the country can cover slot WR one on one? I'll say few if any. If Rose was in man out there, yeah that's not a great option. Without looking, I'll bet it wasn't used much.
Even when it's zone, he's out there wide enough that quick receivers and rbs can exploit him. Zone coverages at the hash marks is much different than zone coverage between them.

• Friendly
Reactions: Pool13

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

Agree with you and my fear is Purdy tries to force a few and that will be the difference. Untimely INT(s).

• Dislike
Reactions: Aclone

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Iowa will go with plenty of the slow developing 3rd down play action looking for a wide open TE. Boring **** but it works. Our backers are going to have to TE, RB, FB this week

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Vance ran down the elusive UNI QB multiple times. He will be tasked with the Iowa RB's coming out of the backfield on Saturday. Thats were Iowa KILLED Lanning in JTS 2 years ago. Iowa also loves to run slot receivers underneath the safety. Having both Vance and Eisworth's speed in the middle is great

Vance is also no cupcake against the run at 231 lbs.

Last edited:

CaptainClutch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 1, 2014
I think Vance although a different position than willie, will have the same type of role as willie. A lot of blitzing and delayed blitz, QB spy type of things. Had a great game against UNI