Parking for Saturday

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
JP just said they're looking at opening the lots at 5:30 but figuring out the logistics for that.

• Agree
Reactions: ArgentCy

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
What time would one realistically need to be there to get a spot in the grasslots?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Unless the forecast for the rest of the week just completely misfires, I can't see the grass lots being open. You're probably talking 36 hours maximum to dry. I'm no expert but that doesn't seem like enough time.

I'm just brainstorming here and I'm sure the idea wouldn't work...but I wonder if there is some way they could keep the grass lots open for foot traffic and tailgating if they're dry enough to support that. Close some of the roads around the stadium to through traffic, and let people can pull up to their respective lots and drop stuff off, then walk it in and set up.

Obviously that creates a ton of logistical challenges of its own. People will still have to park elsewhere and walk back. It wouldn't work in G7 because there's only one way in/out and it's too far to carry all your stuff. And on and on.

But especially with GameDay coming, if you close all the grass lots I just don't know where you put all those people. Unless you just start arresting and detaining Iowa fans, and I'd be completely fine with that.

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
They'll have the grass lots open and just accept the damage that comes with it.

The consequences of redirecting all those people are FAR worse.
Do you realize how much of a mess that will be and how that will create headaches for the rest of the year with all the ruts and everything else that would create? I dont think they do that 2 games into the season. Maybe if it was week 10 they might.

• Agree
Reactions: RagnarLothbrok

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
Unless the forecast for the rest of the week just completely misfires, I can't see the grass lots being open. You're probably talking 36 hours maximum to dry. I'm no expert but that doesn't seem like enough time.

I'm just brainstorming here and I'm sure the idea wouldn't work...but I wonder if there is some way they could keep the grass lots open for foot traffic and tailgating if they're dry enough to support that. Close some of the roads around the stadium to through traffic, and let people can pull up to their respective lots and drop stuff off, then walk it in and set up.

Obviously that creates a ton of logistical challenges of its own. People will still have to park elsewhere and walk back. It wouldn't work in G7 because there's only one way in/out and it's too far to carry all your stuff. And on and on.

But especially with GameDay coming, if you close all the grass lots I just don't know where you put all those people. Unless you just start arresting and detaining Iowa fans, and I'd be completely fine with that.

I was thinking the exact same thing, close the grass lots for vehicles but leave them open for foot traffic and tailgating. Ames is big enough and has enough public parking that people can walk 10-20 minutes or take an Uber.

RagnarLothbrok

Feb 28, 2015
They'll have the grass lots open and just accept the damage that comes with it.

The consequences of redirecting all those people are FAR worse.
These people parking there aren't donors. Not a chance. This will just be used to market more parking passes and pave more areas for >$500 donors.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Do you realize how much of a mess that will be and how that will create headaches for the rest of the year with all the ruts and everything else that would create? I dont think they do that 2 games into the season. Maybe if it was week 10 they might.

Those lots handle at least 20,000 people for a game like this. Where are you going to put them?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
They need to have CyRide bussing people to the stadium from various points throughout the town. If the grass lots are closed, bussing people is about the only way not to negatively hurt attendance.