Marathon Runners Thread

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
thats how i felt. would basically run for 5 min walk for 2 the last 6.2 miles.

i'm proud of myself for finishing but have never hurt more in a race than those last 10k.

Congrats on finishing! That last 10k is brutal. I think my splits were close to yours... Looking good at 20, then implosion for the last part.

Have a cold one, and it may help to walk up stairs backwards.

Reactions: Messi

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Congrats on finishing! That last 10k is brutal. I think my splits were close to yours... Looking good at 20, then implosion for the last part.

Thanks! Definitely had a few cold ones last night.

Going to take few weeks off and then start training for Des Moines Marathon. Hoping i can have a better finish there as I’ll have a marathon unde belt, cooler conditions and I’ll know the course better

D

Deleted member 8507

thats how i felt. would basically run for 5 min walk for 2 the last 6.2 miles.

i'm proud of myself for finishing but have never hurt more in a race than those last 10k.
CONGRATS on the finish! When you stop to consider it, probably less than 2% of the population ever runs a marathon and 3:15 is probably in the top 50% of marathon times so you are in the top 1% of all people for running distance.

D

Deleted member 8507

Upstairs aren't as bad as downstairs. I definitely recommend walking downstairs backwards. Still hurts like a mother but less than walking down forward, and two days after is the worst.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Had my first marathon this weekend and really blew up at 20 miles. Came thru 20 at 2:15 and it took me 60 min to run my last 10k

Need more mileage and time on my feet in my next training cycle.
You are not the first to hit the wall. Still a good run. Congrats

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
41 days until Des Moines Marathon.

Anyone else running?

I’ve been happy with the training block I’ve gotten in since July 1st
  • 50 total runs
  • 345 miles
  • Lot more structure and “workouts” that have meaning. Splurged for a $75 training plan and have tried to follow that as close as possible.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

Anyone else running?

• 50 total runs
  • 345 miles
  • Lot more structure and “workouts” that have meaning. Splurged for a $75 training plan and have tried to follow that as close as possible.
I'm running Chicago the weekend before so gonna wait until Wed or Thur before IMT to decide. Probably will.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston

Anyone else running?

• 50 total runs
  • 345 miles
Just coming off a running injury but think Im going to run it. Have 6 weeks to get into good enough shape. Wont be getting a PR but will be fun as always.

Reactions: Messi and 1100011CS

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My 11 year old has taken up running and asked me to coach him. He has stuck with it for over a month and is running his first of three races in the next three weeks tonight with his neighbor friend. Just middle school age one milers to start with but he is ready to run a 5K at a slower pace as well. I told him I would run 5Ks, 10Ks, half marathons and marathons with him as he is ready. Will be fun for me too since I have never raced anything longer than a 10K.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
My 11 year old has taken up running and asked me to coach him. He has stuck with it for over a month and is running his first of three races in the next three weeks tonight with his neighbor friend. Just middle school age one milers to start with but he is ready to run a 5K at a slower pace as well. I told him I would run 5Ks, 10Ks, half marathons and marathons with him as he is ready. Will be fun for me too since I have never raced anything longer than a 10K.

If your son is 12 by November 23rd you guys should do the Living History Farms Cross Country race. It’s a 10k but you go through creeks and mud and fields.

At one point it was the largest cross country race in the United States. I like it because it’s a good mix of “off road” cross country without any of the wall climbing or boulder rolling stuff you see in those cross fit / spartan race things.

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Your going to die;).

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Running Chicago as well! Will be my first one. Was debating on the Des Moines one, but not sure I want to run back to back weeks like that.
Running the KC Marathon on Oct 19. I've heard it's insanely hilly, ugh. Good luck to all!
Ran it last Fall as part of the I35 challenge. It's only slightly hillier than Des Moines but DM has all the hills at the beginning where KC has them throughout.

Reactions: SC Cy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If your son is 12 by November 23rd you guys should do the Living History Farms Cross Country race. It’s a 10k but you go through creeks and mud and fields.

At one point it was the largest cross country race in the United States. I like it because it’s a good mix of “off road” cross country without any of the wall climbing or boulder rolling stuff you see in those cross fit / spartan race things.
He won't be 12 and he isn't ready for a 10K, especially cross country 10K. Hopefully we will race a 5K or three before snow flies.

Reactions: Messi and NWICY

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
He won't be 12 and he isn't ready for a 10K, especially cross country 10K. Hopefully we will race a 5K or three before snow flies.
Doesn't matter this year but FYI, LHF run involves a lot of standing and waiting for people so you really don't run the whole 10k unless you bolt out the front at the start. My son has ran it every year since he was 12 (he's 17 now) except one year when he was sick.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron