Historical opportunity with no downsides

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
It's one game. Win or lose, we still have 10 more. Beating Iowa is great. Beating Iowa and winning two to three games in conference like we have done a few times sucks. Beating Iowa as part of a 10 win season would be awesome. Losing to Iowa and still having a 10 win season would still be nearly as awesome. Win or lose we still won't know much about this team after Saturday. Absolutely cannot wait to get into the meat of the Big XII season. On the excitement scale, my blood pressure will be higher for kickoffs against Baylor, OU, TCU, Texas and KState.

• Agree
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Well when you're unranked and you get the opportunity to take down a top 20 team with Gameday in town, it's huge.

Unranked means absolutely nothing here. We already got Gameday. And whoever wins the game will be in the rankings and the loser will drop out.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Not sure how anyone can disagree with this...seems like a no brainer.
It is a big game. But so is the next one. We happen to win this one and lay an egg next game.....that's throwing water on the fire. Let's face it......beating Iowa doesn't mean what it use to. I know that's hard for some Hawks to hear...but it's true. It's big...but not THE game. You think for a second the 2002 Hawk team or their fans would trade any of their season after the ISU game just to win that? It's a big game for both, but both have bigger fish to fry in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: NWICY and norcalcy

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
It is a big game. But so is the next one. We happen to win this one and lay an egg next game.....that's throwing water on the fire. Let's face it......beating Iowa doesn't mean what it use to. I know that's hard for some Hawks to hear...but it's true. It's big...but not THE game. You think for a second the 2002 Hawk team would trade any of their season after the ISU game just to win that? It's a big game for both, but both have bigger fish to fry in the coming weeks.

I think that every game is important if you want to go undefeated and win a national championship. If that isn't your goal, then you are a 2nd rate program.

I understand that sounds lofty, but nobody off this board cares who played in the Alamo last year. Nobody.

I think KSU played in the Alamo bowl once, but I don't really know and I don't really care.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I think that every game is important if you want to go undefeated and win a national championship. If that isn't your goal, then you are a 2nd rate program.

I understand that sounds lofty, but nobody off this board cares who played in the Alamo last year. Nobody.

I think KSU played in the Alamo bowl once, but I don't really know and I don't really care.
Oh I agree. But I'm not going to flush it just because we do lose a game. And I don't really give a s*** about the thoughts of anyone off this board.

lets-talk

Jun 13, 2018
CMC did not scheme to play conservatively against Iowa. Clearly he utilized the off week well and went for the jugular and it almost paid off. Nobody should complain that he didn't do his part to change the narrative. The b12 remains wide open.

• Agree
Reactions: criticalobserver

cyLKUIF

Jun 3, 2016
CMC did not scheme to play conservatively against Iowa. Clearly he utilized the off week well and went for the jugular and it almost paid off. Nobody should complain that he didn't do his part to change the narrative. The b12 remains wide open.
for third place at best you mean...?

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Or another take:

CMC would like to win this game but the 9 conference games and getting to the Big XII title game is what the season is about.

We will see just a bit more creativity on offense than we saw against UNI. CMC believes, rightly so, that our defense will keep this a one score game and that we need to do just enough on offense to have a shot at the end.

Like the UNI game and every other game on our schedule this year, there are two stats to watch -

1) Do we rush for 150+ yards
2) Do we have the same or fewer turnovers as our opponent

If we achieve both of those in a game with our defense, very likely we win the game.
1) nope. Not even close
2) fail. 2-0

Play book was opened up. Went after a true freshman CB and torched him a couple times. Clones defense stiffened up in the red zone and kept the game tight and gave you a shot to win.

• Agree

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Eh, things got pretty undefined there offensively late. Wasn't conservative but wasn't going for the jugular either.

This was in some points similar to KSU in 2017 with going away from what was successful.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You called the big 12 wide open. Im saying its only wide open for 3rd place. Oklahoma and Texas are on a different level. Third place is a fight between ISU OkSt TCU KSU and possibly Baylor. Tech WVU and Kansas have no shot.

Texas is on a different level than your Hawkeyes? Interesting

• Funny