YouTube TV - NBC question

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
I switched over to YouTube TV a couple of months ago. Discovered while trying to watch an NFL preseason game that should have been on NBC, however yttv wasn't showing it on NBC showing soccer instead.

I have then found out that apparently it's a problem with our local affiliate for NBC not in agreement with YouTube TV. I live in ames, so curious if everyone else in Iowa has this same problem? My main question out of this is trying to figure out how to watch the bears packers game tonight...?

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
Same here but knew it going in. Need an antenna.
Will the nbs sports app work? I downloaded it and logged in with YouTube account. Everything that is currently live let's me stream. Assuming the game will not work though?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Will the nbs sports app work? I downloaded it and logged in with YouTube account. Everything that is currently live let's me stream. Assuming the game will not work though?

The app won’t work for a lot of these kinds of things with my Vue subscription. I couldn’t watch Sunday night football last year. Didn’t let me watch golf this summer either.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
I have this same problem. OTA antennas aren't too expensive, but it is super annoying to have to buy one just for this.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I prefer the antenna and should be easy to hook one up in Ames for KCCI and WHO. Any ole indoor antenna should do the trick.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
WHO-TV is basically one giant middle finger to cord cutters in general: I don't think they have an agreement with any of the streaming services

On top of that, if you stream it over antenna via Plex, for some reason instead of using the 'English' audio stream as the primary, if there's another stream available (audio captioning or spanish), that'll be the primary: super annoying to need to manually switch it over when a show is coming through in spanish, or has weather alert voiceovers/voiceovers on what's happening in the show.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Why would WHO cater to streaming services? Most area cord cutters' antennas receive their signal very well.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
On PS Vue in Columbus, OH. We randomly got the NBC local added to Vue yesterday right before the Bears game.

Now have all 4 major locals (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX)

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
It's a station group (Tribune) thing.

If/when the sale goes through this month, hopefully (maybe?) there will be movement.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Why wouldn't anyone that cut the cord not be using an antenna? It is free and the picture quality is far better than streaming.

Because you don’t really need one. Certain sports through NBC are the only things I can’t watch through PlayStation Vue. I don’t have any issues with picture quality either.

• Agree
Reactions: Rods79

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Because you don’t really need one. Certain sports through NBC are the only things I can’t watch through PlayStation Vue. I don’t have any issues with picture quality either.
But if you hook up a $20 antenna you get the NBC sports you don't with VUE. After $20, it is literally free TV. I installed an outside antenna to get both Lincoln and Omaha stations. Sometimes I get more NFL games than if I just depended on Omaha broadcast.
Why not take advantage of that if you were looking to save money in the first place?
As far as picture quality, even my wife notices a difference between antenna and cable. Steaming is less quality than cable. Streaming football or basketball on my large TV is fine but it just does not compare if I can watch it "over the air".

• Winner
Reactions: iowa_wildcat

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I switched over to YouTube TV a couple of months ago. Discovered while trying to watch an NFL preseason game that should have been on NBC, however yttv wasn't showing it on NBC showing soccer instead.

I have then found out that apparently it's a problem with our local affiliate for NBC not in agreement with YouTube TV. I live in ames, so curious if everyone else in Iowa has this same problem? My main question out of this is trying to figure out how to watch the bears packers game tonight...?

Correct it is ch 13 not allowing their signal to be put on YTTV. I have an antenna for those times.

Help Support Us

Become a patron