***Official Montgomery and Butler NFL Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I told my wife in the first quarter that Nagy was the Packers best defensive weapon tonight. Instead of utilizing the tools that were working, it seemed like he kept digging for something to fool the Packers instead of just using what was working. The third and one, when they ran Patterson was mind boggling to me. You have DM on your team, but decide to use your speed guy up the gut? There is a reason Patterson wasn't a go to guy on the Vikings.

Really sucks because I am not a fan of the Packers, especially Rogers at all.

It felt like Nagy was trying things out in a preseason game with his starters.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
He played on special teams at least once.
He was in on all the punt returns...saw the #13 a couple of times helping the returner up after the tackle. Hey, you have to play some to rate the $36,000 he received for the week!!!!

Bears looked like they were playing the first pre-season game of the year on offense...well, because they basically were given the actual lack of playing time by the starters in the pre-season.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
On the replay on the INT, David was wide open at the five yard line to walk into the end zone for a TD in the middle of the field because his QB leads the defense directly where the ball is going and can't break the habit of locking onto only a third of the field.

When teams realize that #10 hasn't progressed as a passer and they can just stack the box in the run game, it's going to effect Montgomery's play as well.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
On the replay on the INT, David was wide open at the five yard line to walk into the end zone for a TD in the middle of the field because his QB leads the defense directly where the ball is going and can't break the habit of locking onto only a third of the field.

When teams realize that #10 hasn't progressed as a passer and they can just stack the box in the run game, it's going to effect Montgomery's play as well.

Yeah, playing with Tunnel-Vision Trubisky isn’t gonna do David any favors.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
That was hard to watch. Defense was lights out.

Trubisky and Nagy blew it. They’re doing the same thing they did with Cutler. Run the ball and get Trubisky throwing on the run, he sucks in the pocket.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The Bears offense is deservedly going to take a beating this week but GB has been just as awful.

And I didn’t realize a McPoyle punts for GB now.

This. Only watched because of the ISU connection. Game was brutal and a good reminder to me why I watch so little NFL, especial this division. Good news for Vike fans though, don't have to be great, or even that good, to win the division. Just avoid totally sucking should be good enough.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Living in the Chicago area for 15 years and not being a Bears fans these types of days are my favorite. A small sampling of any Chicago sports radio today.

Mike Pettine deserves a lot of credit for his defense. Nagy might not be as good as we said he was yesterday, and Mitch is a robo8tic QB who doesn't know what he was doing. Ryan Pace moved up one spot from 3 to 2 to draft Mitch, Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson were picked after him. They could have traded back 5 or 6 spots and still got a very good QB. Matt Nagy had around 8 games of calling plays before last year, people have figured out he won't stick with the run. The game was 10-3. Why is Mitch the robot throwing the ball 45 times? The league has figured him out, and now that Mitch hasn't progressed, that offense is doomed. I can't wait for the ensuing the defense hates the offense reports. The sad thing is, this town hates Jay Cutler, but you give Cutler that offense, they score more than 10 points and win last night. You may have to live with a stupid INT, but they win.

On DMs night, he made a really good catch, if that ball was thrown in front of him, he gets more yards on that, poor throw to a wide-open guy. He certainly showed he can make NFL players miss on that 1st down run before the 2nd quarter. Why you wouldn't try to get him to 20 touches at least a game I don't understand. Nagy has some thinking to do, the QB isn't going to win games for you. The defense and run game can. But putting the ball in the air 45 times isn't going to win games.

Also, GB didn't look great on offense, I do believe they could have gotten more points if required, but the Bears really didn't threaten. Yesterday everyone had the Bears in the Super Bowl. Today, I have the Bears lucky to get a wildcard.

• Informative
Reactions: kentkel

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
This. Only watched because of the ISU connection. Game was brutal and a good reminder to me why I watch so little NFL, especial this division. Good news for Vike fans though, don't have to be great, or even that good, to win the division. Just avoid totally sucking should be good enough.

Both of those defenses will chew up the Vikes offense. The Bears have a great defense, it is all about whether they will commit to the run game and grind out games, or if Nagy has to win pretty. His QB isn't capable of that, but will his ego allow him to do it.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
The Bears game reminded me of our UNI game. Same level of disappointment and WTF. At least we are 1-0 at the end of all of it.

Someday I hope to see the Bears get an actual QB.

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
Could the Chicago QB and Head coach suck anymore than they did last night? I was screaming at the TV to bring in Chase Daniel right after the 2nd half started but they must not have heard me! Too bad!

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I think Nagy is a really a great coach, but he was trying to be too Andy Reid with his play calling without establishing the regular offense enough. It makes sense to say Bears should have run more, but GB's plan was to make the MT play QB, and that's what happened.

• Agree
Reactions: psychlone99

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I think Nagy is a really a great coach, but he was trying to be too Andy Reid with his play calling without establishing the regular offense enough. It makes sense to say Bears should have run more, but GB's plan was to make the MT play QB, and that's what happened.

Problem is MT locks onto and stares down receivers. If you can't run through progressions and check down when appropriate you aren't going to survive long in today's NFL.

In the same vein, it doesn't matter how many weapons you have if your opponent knows every play which one you are going to and which ones it can ignore.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't think either Aaron or Mitch had a mustache last night. Aaron did for his "introduction" thing, but no longer.
Mitch still had his "cookie duster". Aaron no longer had his elongated pron star (or cowboy, depending on your preference) mustache that appeared on his stats pic, but we saw it almost as much as we actually saw his face.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC

I have GamePass and just watched it. He wasn't open at the 5. He was open at the 12 yard line when the first down marker was at the 6. The closest defender to him was 3 yards away. Could he have gotten the first down? Who knows, but it would have probably set up around a 4th and 5 or so instead of an INT.

Interestingly though, the play before he was open at the 13 yard line (1st down at the 6 yard line), but he was slanting between 2 defenders. If Trubisky would have hit him in stride, he could have gotten a 1st down probably and maybe even a TD, or very close to it. He split them pretty nicely.

Last edited: