I-35 / US 30 Flyover Progress

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
How the FIVE-way stop in Waukee hasn't been mentioned is beyond me. Its next to the high school and two middle schools, and has backups somewhere like 20 cars deep (not an exaggeration either). Can't stand it as I live so close to it that I pretty much have to use it to get to/from home.

I've heard rumors of a project to cut Northview off of that intersection and making it a 4 way stop. Still, even then I think they'll need to add a stop light because surely it will still get very backed up.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Is this a common intersection? This is North of Rochester, MN in a rural area with very little traffic. If I came upon this at night, not being familiar, I would freak. Specifically, when you cross over to the wrong side of the road.

Attachments

• Google Maps.png
    Google Maps.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 120

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Is this a common intersection? This is North of Rochester, MN in a rural area with very little traffic. If I came upon this at night, not being familiar, I would freak. Specifically, when you cross over to the wrong side of the road.
There's one in Waukee at the new(ish) I-80 interchange. It's actually pretty straight forward to navigate.

Tacoclone

Jun 26, 2017
Ames

Diverging Interchange - pretty new type of intersection that originated in Springfield Mo. Eliminates left turns across oncoming traffic. Better traffic flow through over/underpasses. Grand Prairie Pkwy was the first one in the state. A second one is coming to Ankeny at I35 and 1st.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Diverging Interchange - pretty new type of intersection that originated in Springfield Mo. Eliminates left turns across oncoming traffic. Better traffic flow through over/underpasses. Grand Prairie Pkwy was the first one in the state. A second one is coming to Ankeny at I35 and 1st.
Mills Civic and 35? I actually like that interchange a lot with how well the traffic moves.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Just got to Ames and it was good to see some progress has been made in the last year on this project.

Will be interesting to see if they complete it before our daughter (freshman) graduates.

• Funny
Reactions: Acylum and NWICY

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
If I understood the signs correctly on my drive back from Ankeny, the flyover will open next Wednesday.
Just saw them this AM heading to work. Signs say flyover is open Wednesday morning and the old Northbound exit to 30 will be closed as well.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Awesome... not. I live right there and will pass it everyday. The construction ass pain is really ramping up starting today.

Why would the type of interchange matter to you? Construction ass pain has been going on for 2+ years and will probably go for at least 2+ more. What's so painful about today? I know they're closing 1st St. but it's only for the weekend.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There is also a diverging diamond interchange in the planning stage for Hickman and 80/35.

https://divergingdiamond.com/item/i-80i-35-hickman-road/

There are a few of them up here in the Twin Cities. The nice thing about them is there are only two stoplights required with fewer stoplight phases and then everything else is either through traffic or a turn without crossing traffic. They look confusing but it doesn't take long for people to get used to them. The good news is that other than switching over to the left side they are completely intuitive. If you are going to turn on the road that is going to your left, you access it from the left lane. If you are going right, you access through the right lane. None of the cloverleaf right lane to go left confusion.

Studies have shown reduction in traffic accidents by as much as 60% at these types of intersections.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron