Is Purdy Hurt?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
What does that have to do with anything, unless you're insinuating that Campbell is the problem? If that's the case be my guest, it's your handle.
It has everything to do with your statement of saying the game wasn’t clean in any sense of the phrase. How clean or unclean of a game it was is a relative statement and to say it wasn’t clean in any sense would imply that other games have been cleaner. Which ones? I don’t think this game was any less clean than most of our games the past two years.

We played a clean game unless you think near perfection is the standard. Just 4 penalties in regulation, two of which still had us in first down, one turnover, good run blocking, 75% completion percentage on 41 attempts, just two sacks allowed and 3 hurries in 41 attempts, a huge 4th down conversion, 3/4 on FG, and great defense.

Last edited:

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
It has everything to do with your statement of saying the game wasn’t clean in any sense of the phrase. How clean or unclean of a game it was is a relative statement and to say it wasn’t clean in any sense would imply that other games have been cleaner. Which ones? I don’t think this game was any less clean than most of our games the past two years.

We played a clean game unless you think near perfection is the standard. Just 4 penalties in regulation, two of which still had us in first down, one turnover, good run blocking, 75% completion percentage on 41 attempts, just two sacks allowed and 3 hurries in 41 attempts, a huge 4th down conversion, 3/4 on FG, and great defense.
Just because we are unable to perform at an elite level in the past has no bearing on the definition of a clean game. Either way this is a foolhardy argument and I'm going to see myself out of it.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
People need to come to terms with the fact that there is really no difference between a high level FCS school and an average FBS school. Everybody has access to high quality training and diet now, not just the blue bloods. FCS schools are more likely to retain and develop talent because it's rare for them to declare for the draft as juniors. At a mature program like UNI, they have a winning tradition and know how to keep it rolling. UNI is probably better than half of the G5 teams, and every G5 team with a new coach.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think our location matters a lot, and we will have to put a lot of work into the running game because we’re a cold weather B12 team.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
People need to come to terms with the fact that there is really no difference between a high level FCS school and an average FBS school. Everybody has access to high quality training and diet now, not just the blue bloods. FCS schools are more likely to retain and develop talent because it's rare for them to declare for the draft as juniors. At a mature program like UNI, they have a winning tradition and know how to keep it rolling. UNI is probably better than half of the G5 teams, and every G5 team with a new coach.
UNI is rated #85 in the nation when combining all FCS and FBS teams together. That puts them above the likes of Kansas, Arkansas, Rutgers, Miami-Ohio, Oregon State, Hawaii, Nevada, South Alabama.

I mentioned those teams above due to Kansas and Rutgers being Iowa State and Iowa opponents, Miami-Ohio was a team Iowa just played, Arkansas is in the SEC, Okie State just beat Oregon State, Hawaii beat Arizona, Nevada beat Purdue, and Nebraska played poorly against South Alabama and won.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
UNI is rated #85 in the nation when combining all FCS and FBS teams together. That puts them above the likes of Kansas, Arkansas, Rutgers, Miami-Ohio, Oregon State, Hawaii, Nevada, South Alabama.

I mentioned those teams above due to Kansas and Rutgers being Iowa State and Iowa opponents, Miami-Ohio was a team Iowa just played, Arkansas is in the SEC, Okie State just beat Oregon State, Hawaii beat Arizona, Nevada beat Purdue, and Nebraska played poorly against South Alabama and won.

Well, that's just wrong.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
We ran for 185 yards which is probably an all time record for Iowa State against UNI. There's been several years we rush in the neighborhood of 50 yards.

And our backs weren't exactly lighting the world on fire. Few broken tackles. If anything that group is a little over hyped not the OL.

WTS, I like our backs. I'd start Lang again, then Hall and Kene. Sorry Croney, you looked good but when you fumble on the goal line.. you go to the bottom of the chart.
Exactly what I was thinking about the yards. In the past, we struggled with running the ball on uni as much as against anyone else.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If UNI were to play Miami (OH) I think UNI wins.
Oh I completely agree. I think you're confused. #85 UNI is ranked above #95 KU, #87 Arkansas, #93 Rutgers, #99 Miami-Ohio, #104 Oregon State, #96 Hawaii, #90 Nevada, and #139 South Alabama.

I think me saying "ranked above" was confusing. They're higher ranked.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Oh I completely agree. I think you're confused. #85 UNI is ranked above #95 KU, #87 Arkansas, #93 Rutgers, #99 Miami-Ohio, #104 Oregon State, #96 Hawaii, #90 Nevada, and #139 South Alabama.

I think me saying "ranked above" was confusing. They're higher ranked.
Oh I completely understood. I’m just putting in my 2 cents with others that I definitely think UNI is better than Miami OH. I basically got laughed at in the rivals forum for saying that. I thought UNI looks like a top 10 FCS team, which would compete in the upper half of the MAC.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Oh I completely understood. I’m just putting in my 2 cents with others that I definitely think UNI is better than Miami OH. I basically got laughed at in the rivals forum for saying that. I thought UNI looks like a top 10 FCS team, which would compete in the upper half of the MAC.
Right now UNI is rated #11 in the coaches poll of the FCS, so I don't think you're wrong at all for thinking that and I would agree with your take as well.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Just because we are unable to perform at an elite level in the past has no bearing on the definition of a clean game. Either way this is a foolhardy argument and I'm going to see myself out of it.
So you’re now going with that we have not had many clean games in the past? Wow, you’re way too down on this program and staff.

• Dumb
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
So you’re now going with that we have not had many clean games in the past? Wow, you’re way too down on this program and staff.
West Virginia, TCU and OU two years ago. I'm not sure why I'm even dignifying you with a response as yours was obvious troll. Unless of course it's supposed to be tongue and cheek. Even then dumb comment.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
West Virginia, TCU and OU two years ago. I'm not sure why I'm even dignifying you with a response as yours was obvious troll. Unless of course it's supposed to be tongue and cheek. Even then dumb comment.
Yes, the biggest win in school history was cleaner. That’s the metric of not being clean in any sense? Stop trolling.

I wouldn’t say TCU was definitively cleaner, but if you think it was a clean game, this isn’t far behind. We had more penalties and the same TOs against WV. Again, if that game is clean, this one is right there as well.

You may find comfort in thinking it wasn’t clean in any sense, thereby justifying a fortuitous fumble away from losing, but we had a normal amount of errors.

• Creative
Reactions: Urbandale2013

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Yes, the biggest win in school history was cleaner. That’s the metric of not being clean in any sense? Stop trolling.

I wouldn’t say TCU was definitively cleaner, but if you think it was a clean game, this isn’t far behind. We had more penalties and the same TOs against WV. Again, if that game is clean, this one is right there as well.

You may find comfort in thinking it wasn’t clean in any sense, thereby justifying a fortuitous fumble away from losing, but we had a normal amount of errors.
I don't even know what your point is supposed to be. Yes I expect our team to perform at an all time level because that's what it takes to win championships.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This thread is a monument to a great axiom...

The most fun you have as a fan is when you go from bad to contender.

Being bad sucks. Being a contender means you have expectations that are rarely met. But going from bad to good, not yet having expectations, being pleasantly surprised, and imagining the infinite possibility of an unwritten future... man, that is the fun part.

The basketball teams Georges' junior year, senior year, and the "Four Horsemen" year the year after were just as good, if not better, than the Kane-Ejim team. We tend to look back on the latter more fondly, however. We did not yet have expectations on us.

Once we had them, even if the program stayed the same/improved, we had less fun. Once you get banners and stars in your eyes, it is really all downhill as a fan experience.

The same process is playing out with the football team.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
This thread is a monument to a great axiom...

The most fun you have as a fan is when you go from bad to contender.

Being bad sucks. Being a contender means you have expectations that are rarely met. But going from bad to good, not yet having expectations, being pleasantly surprised, and imagining the infinite possibility of an unwritten future... man, that is the fun part.

The basketball teams Georges' junior year, senior year, and the "Four Horsemen" year the year after were just as good, if not better, than the Kane-Ejim team. We tend to look back on the latter more fondly, however. We did not yet have expectations on us.

Once we had them, even if the program stayed the same/improved, we had less fun. Once you get banners and stars in your eyes, it is really all downhill as a fan experience.

The same process is playing out with the football team.
Rhoads' one good quote IMO, 'It's never really as good or as bad as you think it is.'