Gas Prices and big difference

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Also, I work right by a Phillips terminal in KC and I can't name one brand of gas station that I haven't seen pulling in or out.

It is all the same and it all comes from the same place.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Same here. Saving .10/gal for the whopping $1.50 it will save me isn't as important as my time.

Get off my lawn! The stepping over dollars to pick up dimes on this site will never cease to amaze me.

"The food isn't very good, but the portions are huge."
To be honest it is more the principal. Also it’s been .30 for the last couple months or so. Especially if it isn’t really out of the way it is worth it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Macloney

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Yeah it makes no sense to me. I usually go up to Ankeny on my way back from work and fill up. It really makes a difference. The $0.33 difference right now means about $3.30 in savings when I fill up as I usually get a little more than 10 gallons. When you factor in how far out of the way it is you save a decent amount. That’s 1.5 gallons which could get me like 60 miles on my MPG right now.

I wouldn't even fart for $3.30, but I understand that over the course of a year that could be a couple hundred bucks.

• Useful
Reactions: VeloClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Does anyone know why gas prices are 25 cents more in Ames and Boone area compared to Slater and Madrid for the Super Unleaded? Not gonna lie but that is total ridiculous and price gauging at its finest as !

It's been that way for years for the most part. Ankeny has cheap gas (Fleet Farm) Mason City is usually priced well,but right now they are kind of high. The Dirty Dodge has has well priced gas right now but no idea why E15 was 2.17 yesterday (Mon)

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Would depend on where Google get's their data from. I believe that Waze uses GasBuddy as well. It generally doesn't matter to me what the price is as at least around CR they are fairly stable from station to station. There are a few that are lower and higher always though.

SW Williams Blvd seems to be on the lower end usually, is there other areas in CR that are in that range?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
SW Williams Blvd seems to be on the lower end usually, is there other areas in CR that are in that range?

Honestly I am rarely over there so I don’t know. There is a Kum and Go and Casey’s on Lindale that have a small price war as well as the Marion Wal-Matt gas station and she Casey’s across the street.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Also, I work right by a Phillips terminal in KC and I can't name one brand of gas station that I haven't seen pulling in or out.

It is all the same and it all comes from the same place.

This is true that they come from the same place, that doesn't mean they are the same fuel. Top Tier gasoline fuels have more additives to the gasoline that are blended at the terminal. I've worked at the DSM terminal quite a bit, and have seen how it is blended.

• Informative
Reactions: Macloney

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
Same here. Saving .10/gal for the whopping $1.50 it will save me isn't as important as my time.

Get off my lawn! The stepping over dollars to pick up dimes on this site will never cease to amaze me.

"The food isn't very good, but the portions are huge."

To be honest it is more the principal. Also it’s been .30 for the last couple months or so. Especially if it isn’t really out of the way it is worth it.
As a guy who is willing to spend way too much money on ISU, but hates paying 25 cents on a late book at the library, $2 delivery charges from restaurants, and an extra dime for a gallon of gas ... I'm going to have to agree with Urbandale2013 and Big Worm on this.

b3623e555f631689d7bb4d80bac9a44e.jpg

That being said, gas is $2.14 in Ankeny and $2.47 in Ames right now at most gas stations.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap?z=4

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
WDM Kum&Go: $2.51
Ankeny Caseys: $2.19

wtf???

gotta pay for those new stores somehow........grrr...
That's nothing - I can understand not wanting to drive 10 miles through the city to a cheaper gas station. Here on the west coast, I see that big of a price difference on gas stations across the street from each other. Of on opposite corners of a single intersection. And the dumb thing is both will have the same number of people filling up at a given time.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I heard once (totally unverified) that there is a surcharge that kicks in once you get a certain number of miles away from the DSM terminal. Madrid is just within that range, Boone, Ames, etc. are not.

Again, could be total hogwash, but is another theory.