INSTANT REACTION: Iowa State 29, UNI 26 (3OT)

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I posted this in another thread, but I had a GREAT time today! I sat through some horrid seasons at the end of the Walden Era and moved to California in 1995 (1/3 of the way through the first McCarney season) - with just a few visits back to Ames - the last of which was 2012 vs. West Virginia. I saw UNI beat ISU not once but twice in 1992 and 1994. The 1992 game was a 27-10 butt kicking and 1994 was 28-14! It was a treat for me to see a ranked Iowa State team open on National TV in a jam packed beautifully upgraded JTS today! I'm so happy to be back in Iowa permanently now after living out of state for 24 years, and I look forward to many more fantastic game days at JTS! Let's Go State! 1-0! Glass is FULL! :cool:

Last edited:

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
You liked the three tight end look?

Heck yes. Shrink the amount of the field the other team has to defend. That is the ticket....

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
I posted this in another thread, but I had a GREAT time today! I sat through some horrid seasons at the end of the Walden Era and moved to California in 1995 1/3 of the way through the first McCarney season - with just a few visits back to Ames - the last of which was 2012 vs. West Virginia. I saw UNI beat ISU not once but twice in 1992 and 1994. The 1992 game was a 27-10 butt kicking and 1994 was 28-14! It was a treat for me to see a ranked Iowa State team open on National TV in a jam packed beautifully upgraded JTS today! I'm so happy to be back in Iowa permanently now after living out of state for 24 years, and I look forward to many more fantastic game days at JTS! Let's Go State! 1-0! Glass is FULL! :cool:
Settle down grandpa

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
We’ve seen one bad spread offense after another at ISU going back at least to Rhoad’s first year, and now after back to back 8 win seasons you’re mad that there’s a 3 TE package when we have 3 TE’s on the roster that are high caliber? “Less area to defend”? Tell the entire NFL they need to switch to the spread or air raid

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
3 TE look was great. Need more of it.

Need more boring, vanilla, ball control offense....that’s how we win here.

I'm getting the feeling people don't know you can do a lot out of a 3 TE set...and it SUCKS for a D if they can't stop what they know is coming.

If some think a track meet is how ISU is going to win they need to look at the years they tried that.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'm getting the feeling people don't know you can do a lot out of a 3 TE set...and it SUCKS for a D if they can't stop what they know is coming.

If some think a track meet is how ISU is going to win they need to look at the years they tried that.
People, as in the Iowa State staff?

The benefit of being able to do a lot out of 3 TE set is that the defense doesn’t know what’s coming. That’s being multiple. Very few teams do well when the defense knows what’s coming. We’re years away from having that type of personnel, if ever given the lack of line development.

No one is calling for a track meet, although we can avoid 3 OTs with UNI in a track meet. I get it, you’ve got to resort to false dilemmas.

A lot of things will work against UNI. The fact we struggled to score despite running the ball well, going 30/41 on passes with just two sacks and three hurries, moderate penalties, and only 1 turnover suggests it was a team with superior talent but directionless in play-calling.

Last edited:

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I posted this in another thread, but I had a GREAT time today! I sat through some horrid seasons at the end of the Walden Era and moved to California in 1995 1/3 of the way through the first McCarney season - with just a few visits back to Ames - the last of which was 2012 vs. West Virginia. I saw UNI beat ISU not once but twice in 1992 and 1994. The 1992 game was a 27-10 butt kicking and 1994 was 28-14! It was a treat for me to see a ranked Iowa State team open on National TV in a jam packed beautifully upgraded JTS today! I'm so happy to be back in Iowa permanently now after living out of state for 24 years, and I look forward to many more fantastic game days at JTS! Let's Go State! 1-0! Glass is FULL! :cool:

Welcome back. Really enjoy your posts and your general positivity! The world needs more of it, including myself.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Our offensive line just isn’t good enough for us to be “vanilla and boring”. But we did have 400 yards of total offense in regulation - but 13 points is unacceptable against a FCS defense.

Defense gave up 6 points in regulation. Definitely legit.

Clean up mistakes, shore up the line (easier said than done), and open up the playbook and we’ll be fine.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

Look at the years we tried that...started with Jim Criner to expand the field and that got us an NCAA penalities.....It just goes to prove that its players not schemes that win games.....

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Head scratching play calls in the red zone & short yardage situations. Manning & Campbell really need to sit down and have a come to Jesus talk- we outgained them 463 to 262. FFS line up under center and smash that mother****er. Lead block with Soehner or use all three tight ends as a distraction and run behind Knipfel. Don't overthink it and run a weird TE flat route. :confused:

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
I disagree with one thing. Losing today wouldn't have been the greatest nut shot in ISU history.

That will always be the loss in the NCAA tournament as a 2 seed to the team that shall not be named.
IDK - the "blarge" left me peeing blood for weeks.

• Winner
Reactions: CloneFan4

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
After our line play yesterday i think we do need the 3 tight end look. Have all 3 of them block while our 1 or 2 wrs run routes.