***WBB: 2020 Recruiting Thread***

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
That would make for a rare (for us) full house of 15 scholarships assuming no one transfers.

mred's most awesome chart:
https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/wbb-recruiting.220927/page-16#post-6639986

Will be interesting divvying up playing time this season. We may have 11 or 12 players that look to be good enough to play Big 12 hoops and be worthy of PT but we can't play that many. Already four freshman, counting the redshirts, looking for PT with three starters returning.

BTW, not meaning to feed the playing time is an issue with Clark next year even with 4 or 5 new players coming in. She'll probably start anywhere she goes. Five star PG's don't sit or need to develop like a five star post going to a blue blood program.

If Caitlin DID come to ISU it would likely be worth the price of admission to watch her, Lexi Donarski and Emily Ryan battle it out in practice.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
If Caitlin DID come to ISU it would likely be worth the price of admission to watch her, Lexi Donarski and Emily Ryan battle it out in practice.
Scary good fun that'd be to watch. All we need is a breakout player at post to make us formidable, if talent elsewhere holds to expectations.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: acoustimac

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Obviously much happens that I'm unaware of, but it doesn't really seem BF is pulling out all the stops, nor does it appear club teammates (or the other commits) are lobbying hard for ISU. This is pure speculation, but I wonder if there is a "chemistry" issue?

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Obviously much happens that I'm unaware of, but it doesn't really seem BF is pulling out all the stops, nor does it appear club teammates (or the other commits) are lobbying hard for ISU. This is pure speculation, but I wonder if there is a "chemistry" issue?

This is what most of us who support the team are aware of. Unless you are part of the staff or a parent of one of the players WE don't know what is going on behind the scenes. From what I have seen from our current players I believe they would all welcome (and want) her to the team.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014

I'd say it is pretty hard to know what coaches are doing, and this is pure speculation. Either the girls really mesh and became friends through recruiting or playing AAU together, or they don't.

The coaches have put a lot of effort into CC. Lately CC saw BF when he flew to Asia to support Ashley. How many other coaches were there? Muffet wasn't, because she was sitting in front of me at a Chicago Sky game.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'd say it is pretty hard to know what coaches are doing, and this is pure speculation. Either the girls really mesh and became friends through recruiting or playing AAU together, or they don't.

The coaches have put a lot of effort into CC. Lately CC saw BF when he flew to Asia to support Ashley. How many other coaches were there? Muffet wasn't, because she was sitting in front of me at a Chicago Sky game.

Did you tell her how you felt about Sheppard not having to sit out after transferring? ;)

I do think that folks speculating we aren't going all in to try and get Clark are being laughably ridiculous. If she picks ND or Iowa they can play the infamous Hawk fan card of "We didn't want her anyway", LOL.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Did you tell her how you felt about Sheppard not having to sit out after transferring? ;)

I do think that folks speculating we aren't going all in to try and get Clark are being laughably ridiculous. If she picks ND or Iowa they can play the infamous Hawk fan card of "We didn't want her anyway", LOL.

She comes to a lot of Sky games, when Notre Dame players play. Actually she and Bruno (Depaul) coach sit and talk together a lot. I think he might be an investor, he is at almost every game and sits in the owners section. Although I dont like her, she is very approachable by the younger players.

When the Nike AAU tournament was in Chicago, the sky game was a who's who of college coaches.

If Clark wants to go to the "mom" camp, so be it. I very seriously doubt Bludder outworked BF in CC recruitment. She was at a ton of ISU events.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City

I can assure you that's not where I'm coming from - simply put, I am very happy with the group of young talent (in place and committed) we presently have and wouldn't want anything to upset that apple cart...

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Are there any winning women coaches of acceptable character? Muffett is cheater. Mulkey is a pyscho. Coale is hot mess. Bludder is conniving matriarch. Thank goodness we have Gino the Saint to send offerings to. Can't say a bad word about that guy.

Sometimes I wonder. :rolleyes:

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: NWICY and ISU71

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
I'm 99% sure that her and her family were all sitting a few rows in front of me at the UNI game all in ISU gear. I know her brother is on the team but it can't hurt right ;)

Reactions: NWICY and Cypwr

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Are there any winning women coaches of acceptable character? Muffett is cheater. Mulkey is a pyscho. Coale is hot mess. Bludder is conniving matriarch. Thank goodness we have Gino the Saint to send offerings to. Can't say a bad word about that guy.

Sometimes I wonder. :rolleyes:

What’s wrong with Coale being a "hot mess?"

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71 and NWICY

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm 99% sure that her and her family were all sitting a few rows in front of me at the UNI game all in ISU gear. I know her brother is on the team but it can't hurt right ;)
My brother-law-in law is as into Iowa State circles of anyone I know. He too is saying don't believe we are out of the picture. So what to think?

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Alasia Hays, 2020 PG, #45 on ESPN, committed to Notre Dame this week, that gives Notre Dame 2 PG in their 2020 class. Don't know if that would affect Caitlin's decision or not.

• Informative
Reactions: StClone

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Alasia Hays, 2020 PG, #45 on ESPN, committed to Notre Dame this week, that gives Notre Dame 2 PG in their 2020 class. Don't know if that would affect Caitlin's decision or not.

At the very least, it takes away one disadvantage we had compared to Notre Dame -- now both schools have two top-100 2020 PGs already (Notre Dame's are #25 and #44 on ESPN Hoopgurlz). Just hoping it doesn't push her to Iowa. :)

With Clark, we'd have three PGs in the class, but the rest of the 20-21 roster would only have Rae Johnson (solid PG, but 20-21 is her last season) and Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw (essentially a converted SG) with PG experience. Considering we'd likely be playing a 4 guard offense with possibly two PG at once, there are plenty of minutes for everyone.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
CC's Dowling HS Stats from Iowa HS Girls AA website:

2016-2017 (Fresh) - Dowling 19-5, 10-0 in Conference (State Qualifier)
Shot 128 of 299 from field (42.8%) and 38 of 115 from 3 (33%), averaging 15.3 / Game;
Had 113 Assists (4.71 / Game) and 71 Turnovers;

2017-2018 (Soph) - Dowling 20-4, 10-0 in Conference
Shot 221 of 491 from field (45%) and 71 of 196 from 3 (36.2%), averaging 27.1 / Game;
Had 92 Assists (4.0 / Game) and 95 Turnovers;

2018-2019 (Junior) - Dowling 17-8, 5-5 in Conference (State Qualifier)
Shot 271 of 662 from field (40.9%) and 90 of 271 from 3 (33.2%), averaging 32.5 / Game;
Had 84 Assists (3.5 / Game) and 91 Turnovers;

No state titles thus far at arguably the most advantaged program in the state. Do these numbers mean anything? Open for discussion...

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
No state titles thus far at arguably the most advantaged program in the state. Do these numbers mean anything? Open for discussion...

Given her obvious talent (proven time and time again with Team USA and AAU along with high school), these are what the numbers mean to me:
  • Last season, she made 271 of her team's 581 FG (46.6%). She assisted on 84 of the remaining 310, meaning she scored on or assisted 61.1% of her team's FG. She had the ball in her hands a LOT and handled a ton of the scoring, so a mediocre a/to ratio shouldn't be too concerning.
  • Only one other player on the team had more than 4.4 ppg: Grace Gaber, who got most of her 8.6 ppg beyond the arc. I'm guessing Clark was basically the only real threat to drive.
  • Since there wasn't a lot of offensive ability among her teammates, I'm sure Clark received a ton of defensive attention.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron