Should Iowa State add Nebraska to OOC?

lets-talk

Jun 13, 2018
ISU and NE both currently target a common foe leading to two separate rivalries both bitter and both involving Iowa. Both these rivalrieshave captured regional attention and are growing further in importance. There is no question that this exposure has recruiting implications as well.

However, imo the schedule benefits Iowa more so than isu allowing the Hawkeyes extra oomph in swaying recruits in iowa-nebraska neighborhood and in the general Midwest as well. It would be smart for isu to play both Iowa and ne (alternating years) to equalize this exposure and interest to recruits. Granted this isn't done with a snap of the fingers but a discussion on the merits of asking for a series with nebraska is worthwhile imo.

So should isu try to persuade ne for a ooc series? Would it be preferable to having to play Iowa every year?

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
ISU and NE both currently target a common foe leading to two separate rivalries both bitter and both involving Iowa. Both these rivalrieshave captured regional attention and are growing further in importance. There is no question that this exposure has recruiting implications as well.

However, imo the schedule benefits Iowa more so than isu allowing the Hawkeyes extra oomph in swaying recruits in iowa-nebraska neighborhood and in the general Midwest as well. It would be smart for isu to play both Iowa and ne (alternating years) to equalize this exposure and interest to recruits. Granted this isn't done with a snap of the fingers but a discussion on the merits of asking for a series with nebraska is worthwhile imo.

So should isu try to persuade ne for a ooc series? Would it be preferable to having to play Iowa every year?

You started a similarly stupid trolling thread already this week, didn't you?

Short answer: No

Full answer: No, this is stupid

Color commentary - Our rivalry with Iowa is not growing in importance. 95% of the blather for this game is emotion. ISU/Texas, ISU/OU, ISU/TCU - those games are growing in importance.

I'll bet my next clone cone that CMC doesn't wake up every morning worrying about the IA/NE football recruiting corridor. If he could only recruit 10 states, IA and NE would not be in the list.

But nice attempt to try to tie Hoks into the national story that is the rise of ISU football.

lets-talk

Jun 13, 2018
No.

There is literally zero incentive to do this when ISU already plays 10 Power 5 games each year.
No additional P5 games would get scheduled. Literally replace Iowa with NE in alternate years. Would that scenario work better than the current one? THat is what this thread is meant to discuss.

• Dislike
  • Funny
Reactions: Rural and aauummm

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Yes, I would love for ISU to play Nebraska in an OOC series. My goodness, imagine if Saturday was Nebraska @ Iowa State instead of UNI! Much, much better, and I don't buy the "It would be too tough" stuff.

P.S. (After the dislike :). I am talking about playing Nebraska AND Iowa in the same year, not one or the other. Doesn't have to be Neb. either. I'd rather ISU play a series with any other P5 program than play FCS teams.

Last edited:

lets-talk

Jun 13, 2018
You started a similarly stupid trolling thread already this week, didn't you?

Short answer: No

Full answer: No, this is stupid

Color commentary - Our rivalry with Iowa is not growing in importance. 95% of the blather for this game is emotion. ISU/Texas, ISU/OU, ISU/TCU - those games are growing in importance.

I'll bet my next clone cone that CMC doesn't wake up every morning worrying about the IA/NE football recruiting corridor. If he could only recruit 10 states, IA and NE would not be in the list.

But nice attempt to try to tie Hoks into the national story that is the rise of ISU football.
Wjat is the relevance of your diatribe with respect to replacing Iowa with NE in alternating years? Gather your wits. I'm just looking for a discussion while we wait for football to begin.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
giphy.gif

Reactions: Lemmiwinks

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Wjat is the relevance of your diatribe with respect to replacing Iowa with NE in alternating years? Gather your wits. I'm just looking for a discussion while we wait for football to begin.

What was the relevance?

I gave you my input - twice

And I contested two of your assumptions to justify it - the rivalry isn't growing in importance and the impact on recruiting on a very small base of potential recruits doesn't matter.

Which of those points does apply to the discussion?

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
I'd be pretty surprised if a college coach wouldn't have their own state in the top 10 most important for recruiting. I'd imagine ISU's last few recruiting classes have at or above 10% in-state kids like many P5 programs. I think the state of Iowa is going to have a pretty good class of P5 talent next year alone.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
Meh. Can I please derail the thread and start a wish list of neighboring states that you would rather start a nonconference schedule with. Thanks. In order:
1)Minnesota
2) Missouri
3) Illinois
4) Wisconsin
5) Northern Illinois
6) Nebraska
7) Marquette

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
1- there's no way the iowa series is getting cancelled. The local media will blow up whichever side tries to do it first, and its considered too much of an event for the casual fans in this state.

2. So the only remaining option is replacing another game. We already play one of the toughest schedules year in and year out with 10 P5 games scheduled. There's little reward to us for scheduling any harder, and lots of risk. So no, no i do

lets-talk

Jun 13, 2018
What was the relevance?

I gave you my input - twice

And I contested two of your assumptions to justify it - the rivalry isn't growing in importance and the impact on recruiting on a very small base of potential recruits doesn't matter.

Which of those points does apply to the discussion?
These are rational points but they were lost in a bunch of namecalling in your previous post.

If as you maintain Iowa-isu is a meaningless contest, CMC should indeed ignore it. But I disagree strongly. Imo, there is a lot of merit in expanding meaningful rivalries in this neighborhood as long as one can field competitive teams.

By your argument Iowa should value their games against psu and mich a lot more. Sure with respect to conference records, they do but they aren't about to leverage wins as much as the intra-state game. The games against isu and ne are very meaningful in signing up a dependable (as in year after year) core of their classes.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I'd be pretty surprised if a college coach wouldn't have their own state in the top 10 most important for recruiting. I'd imagine ISU's last few recruiting classes have at or above 10% in-state kids like many P5 programs. I think the state of Iowa is going to have a pretty good class of P5 talent next year alone.

They don't have in their Top 10 of how to recruit more there. How many kids will be affected by ISU playing kNU instead of Hoks? 1 or 2 a year? Of course a program is going to have different relationship with the local HS base than one in FL, TX, CA. If ISU wants to do something this game to impact recruiting, you replace Iowa with a game that will get attention outside the region - an SEC, ACC or Pac 12 team.

now that I think of it, Hoks and bugeaters are pretty interchangeable in all aspects

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

So we get Iowa at home once every four years? Almost too stupid to comment on.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
These are rational points but they were lost in a bunch of namecalling in your previous post.

If as you maintain Iowa-isu is a meaningless contest, CMC should indeed ignore it. But I disagree strongly. Imo, there is a lot of merit in expanding meaningful rivalries in this neighborhood as long as one can field competitive teams.

By your argument Iowa should value their games against psu and mich a lot more. Sure with respect to conference records, they do but they aren't about to leverage wins as much as the intra-state game. The games against isu and ne are very meaningful in signing up a dependable (as in year after year) core of their classes.

Just ******* stop it

Where did I say ISU/Iowa was meaningless? I said it was not growing in importance which is what you said. And I would hope Iowa would rather beat PSU and UM each year more than beating ISU. Yes. Exactly my point.

And you are still wrong - the Iowa/ISU game is not the main driver or anywhere near the main driver for either programs recruiting and switching that to play NE wouldn't make that slot any more important.

And I wouldn't diatribe if you stopped twisting my words to fit your narrative, you are the one that start the thread with an agenda.