Ames Game Day To Do List

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
Think Packer/Bears games. Hunting gear suppliers usually have thermal gear, I have long thermal underwear, down parkas, heated socks and gloves available, but not always needed. As was mentioned layer clothes, most tailgate setups have propane heaters to take edge off, so layering helps with that, plus less beer and more whiskey available in the tents usually for warming purposes (good antifreeze) :rolleyes:

LonghornDon81

Aug 14, 2019
This is all great. I’m thinking the wife and I will bring chairs and just sit in the bathrooms. Are there tv’s in there?

So, if it’s truly that cold, what are the drinks of choice for tailgating??? Anything 100+ proof?!!? I thought of bringing beer, but that almost seems silly. I will bring whiskey and maybe some peppermint schnapps for the wife. And flasks for each of course.

You guys already make us feel welcome, and look forward to maybe sharing a drink and bite to eat in November.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
the wife and I plan on trying Hickory Park, but will do so for an Ames tradition rather than expecting it to overtake the Texas bbq joints.

How concerned should we be about the weather in mid November, and it likely being a night game? Please be kind in your replies knowing this is coming from a Texan.
Bring every coat you own

• Funny
Reactions: Shyzkoff and NWICY

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
the wife and I plan on trying Hickory Park, but will do so for an Ames tradition rather than expecting it to overtake the Texas bbq joints.

How concerned should we be about the weather in mid November, and it likely being a night game? Please be kind in your replies knowing this is coming from a Texan.

You have equal odds of 10 degrees or 60 degrees. It really is a coin flip,

• Agree
Reactions: DarkStar and NWICY

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Make sure to dress appropriately and drink the harder stuff and eat your ass off. Some tailgates have heated tents, we typically do in G7 tallest flag tailgate. Go to Cornbred bbq excellent grub that reminds me very much of Texas style. Great Plains pizza, wallaby’s, to name a few and go to Alluvial brewery out in the north side of town in the country. It’s my happy place and excellent beer

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Make friends with an Iowan and borrow a snowmobile suit.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

If you must go just get a burger and ice cream, you'd be severely disappointed in the meat. I love Texas BBQ, especially moist brisket, but you can't get anything close to Texas brisko around here besides Cornfed, and they just opened. In Iowa's defense though we do have great bbq, it's just more KC style.

Franklins FTW.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
This is all great. I’m thinking the wife and I will bring chairs and just sit in the bathrooms. Are there tv’s in there?

So, if it’s truly that cold, what are the drinks of choice for tailgating??? Anything 100+ proof?!!? I thought of bringing beer, but that almost seems silly. I will bring whiskey and maybe some peppermint schnapps for the wife. And flasks for each of course.

You guys already make us feel welcome, and look forward to maybe sharing a drink and bite to eat in November.
100 proof is excellent idea for antifreeze; tailgate areas are so equipped. You might need to allow some time to stop at Theisens (have hunting and chore gear) for some thermal "bibbers" if we're in a deep freeze cycle. (The polar vortex). The're close to Hickory Park in Ames. Or you could buy the Snowmobile stuff "on line" for the future as Cyclone fans believe you are going to want to visit Ames every other year.:)

PS Stop by A2, we run a Kurig with hot cocoa or coffee to mix 50/50 with appropriate antifreeze in such situations.i And we have propane heaters! No TVs in bathrooms that I can recall, but SUKUP endzone club has them, as well as alcohol sales, and climate control (can view the field from endzone perspective, has seatiing outdoors, but can reside inside for game. Soldout usually but maybe Stubhub?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Think Packer/Bears games. Hunting gear suppliers usually have thermal gear, I have long thermal underwear, down parkas, heated socks and gloves available, but not always needed. As was mentioned layer clothes, most tailgate setups have propane heaters to take edge off, so layering helps with that, plus less beer and more whiskey available in the tents usually for warming purposes (good antifreeze) :rolleyes:

Yeah, you'll know more about the forecast when it's game week, but it's always a good idea to bring layers. Double up the socks, wear long underwear, buy some disposable hand warmers. As long as you bundle up, it's usually not too bad. But it could very well be 60 degrees too. I'm guessing it's going to be a night game, so be prepared for the temperature to drop like a rock when the sun goes down.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Just reserved a room for Friday and Saturday at the Gateway 11/15-11/17 when Bevo and the Boys come to town.

I am really looking forward to the weather and tailgating. I will bring some Texas beer and hand out for acceptance into a Cyclone tailgate!

Be prepared to bring a lot of beer if you plan to hand out at our tailgates!
(We are in A3, just sayin')

Reactions: LonghornDon81

Pokit N

Aug 8, 2019
Hey Hey Hey!

The Fam Damily and I are headed out Friday night! I have to say...I'm a little less excited to watch this game than I was back in August...:(

I still have faith though! I'll bring some Chi-Town beers and we plan on setting up in the Vet Med Lot or something a few hours before the game. I'll be in a black minivan playing cornhole w/ a sweet set of OSU/Pistol Pete boards...

Come by for a beer, just remember I have a 9 yr old and 5 yr old girls with me so try not to be a total drunkin idiot (this last sentence was for myself as much as anyone) ;)

Let's go pokes!!!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Hey Hey Hey!

The Fam Damily and I are headed out Friday night! I have to say...I'm a little less excited to watch this game than I was back in August...:(

I still have faith though! I'll bring some Chi-Town beers and we plan on setting up in the Vet Med Lot or something a few hours before the game. I'll be in a black minivan playing cornhole w/ a sweet set of OSU/Pistol Pete boards...

Come by for a beer, just remember I have a 9 yr old and 5 yr old girls with me so try not to be a total drunkin idiot (this last sentence was for myself as much as anyone) ;)

Let's go pokes!!!
Don't forget your rain gear and plan for the game to end under the lights.

• Funny
Reactions: CtownCyclone