Want some Purdy Koolaid? Listen to this.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Agree, I am hesitant to read too far into that stat as I feel Butler's big play ability really skews that average upwards and Purdy is the benefactor. I would anticipate that average coming back down to earth this year if I was putting money on it.
Clearly Butler's big plays and the threat he posed had a major positive impact. His astronomical drop rate (over 18%) offset that to some degree.

I think the narrative that Butler "bailed out" Purdy a lot is pretty clueless. There were a lot more catchable balls that were dropped than bad throws that ended as great catches. In addition to drops there were a couple balls that were on the money to Akers that bounced off of him and ended as picks. There were great catches that were also great throws (the TD to Butler vs. OSU). The second TD vs. KU and the amazing catch in the Alamo Bowl were plays that Hakeem made that were amazing on balls that were not great.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Clearly Butler's big plays and the threat he posed had a major positive impact. His astronomical drop rate (over 18%) offset that to some degree.

I think the narrative that Butler "bailed out" Purdy a lot is pretty clueless. There were a lot more catchable balls that were dropped than bad throws that ended as great catches. In addition to drops there were a couple balls that were on the money to Akers that bounced off of him and ended as picks. There were great catches that were also great throws (the TD to Butler vs. OSU). The second TD vs. KU and the amazing catch in the Alamo Bowl were plays that Hakeem made that were amazing on balls that were not great.
Where did you get that number? I thought the number was 15 and some change. Can you link your source?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Where did you get that number? I thought the number was 15 and some change. Can you link your source?
You're right, I've seen PFF quoted in articles at both 16.7% and 15.5%. Maybe one includes the bowl and one doesn't.

18% stuck in my head which is wrong. It appears to be a bit lower. Still really bad, but lower.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Since this is kinda the Brock Purdy is very, very good thread I figured I should drop one more reason to love him. The best part of this stat is that unless some ungodly regression happens it should stay about the same even though we lost a few of our top WRs

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron