Weather Channel for Aug 31

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Currently calling for 71 for a high and dry. It was what, 103 at the OU game last year? In late September?

Wasn't the Iowa game 2 years ago a scorcher?

I could see that game this year being warm, too.

isumet

Feb 25, 2019
610temp.new.gif

You couldn't dream up a better pattern than what's being forecasted. Sfc/Mid-level high pressure system should be parked almost directly overhead during the day Saturday... meaning there shouldn't be more than a cloud or two in the sky.

Heat wouldn't be a concern here... but if overnight lows drop into the low 50s it might be a little cold if you hit the tailgating lots at 5am. Shouldn't be too humid either. Can't ask for much more for August in Iowa!

Hopefully forecast models don't shift around too much in the meantime.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
610temp.new.gif

You couldn't dream up a better pattern than what's being forecasted. Sfc/Mid-level high pressure system should be parked almost directly overhead during the day Saturday... meaning there shouldn't be more than a cloud or two in the sky.

Heat wouldn't be a concern here... but if overnight lows drop into the low 50s it might be a little cold if you hit the tailgating lots at 5am. Shouldn't be too humid either. Can't ask for much more for August in Iowa!

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/fxus06.html

Discussion of the models, but the last paragraph is the key paragraph for the 6-10 day outlook:
FORECAST CONFIDENCE FOR THE 6-10 DAY PERIOD: Above average, 4 out of 5, due to good agreement between models on the predicted 500-hPa height pattern, and among the temperature and precipitation forecast tools.

Reactions: isutrevman

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
610temp.new.gif

Now that is a serious case of a model "blue ball" forecast.

Might have to consider my mid-winter Carrhartt jacket for this one...

isumet

Feb 25, 2019
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/fxus06.html

Discussion of the models, but the last paragraph is the key paragraph for the 6-10 day outlook:
FORECAST CONFIDENCE FOR THE 6-10 DAY PERIOD: Above average, 4 out of 5, due to good agreement between models on the predicted 500-hPa height pattern, and among the temperature and precipitation forecast tools.

Yes, and the models have been pretty insistent on the 500mb pattern since my first post in this thread a few days ago. Unless the ridge axis changes and high pressure ends up shifting out east ahead of schedule, there's really no threat for bad weather, it's more of a question of "will the temperature be 70 or 75?"

Those are the questions us meteorologists enjoy asking :)

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Yes, and the models have been pretty insistent on the 500mb pattern since my first post in this thread a few days ago. Unless the ridge axis changes and high pressure ends up shifting out east ahead of schedule, there's really no threat for bad weather, it's more of a question of "will the temperature be 70 or 75?"

Those are the questions us meteorologists enjoy asking :)

Believe me, I've been keeping an eye on it. I don't know what all the words mean, but I understand higher confidence! As long as it means lower humidity in my neck of the woods, I'm for it (especially since I've got an 8k on 8/31).

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Finally a thread I can actually contribute to! The Weather Channel's forecast is essentially just taking the climate average high temp for that day. The overall look to the long range forecast models suggests that it could be a cooler than average with no obvious rainy pattern. I'm optimistic.

For fun... I have heat/cold statistics going back to 1997, when the Ames airport started collecting weather data. Last year's games featured the 3nd highest heat index (94, vs. OU) and 2nd coldest wind chill (11, vs. Baylor). Let's hope that doesn't happen again!

It was even hot in Mpls for the OU gamewatch. Have it marked in my biking log because I rode that day with the gamewatch as a stop point. At my ride time it was 88 with heat index of 94 dew point of 71 and winds SW 8. Geek boy spreadsheet. :oops: Gamewatch became more of a water stop than beer stop.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
It was even hot in Mpls for the OU gamewatch. Have it marked in my biking log because I rode that day with the gamewatch as a stop point. At my ride time it was 88 with heat index of 94 dew point of 71 and winds SW 8. Geek boy spreadsheet. :oops: Gamewatch became more of a water stop than beer stop.

Dew points in the 70's are not fun. Current dew point here is 72. Ugh.

My wife needs to get a job at a university with a better climate.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
God that OU game was miserable.

We had our 3 year old with us, but we left that game early. I've only left games early 2 or 3 times in my life. Not that crazy cold Kansas game, not when we'd be losing by 50, never.

But screw that heat. That wasn't good for anybody. :mad:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
There were people dropping like fly's at the OU game. Hell, I was even filling water bottles in the mens room with the Hot tap water in a last ditch effort to stay somewhat hydrated.