NFL: *** Official Preseason Thread ***

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
The NFL/NFLPA should just say sure, use whatever helmet you want (even a 10+ year old one). But you have to sign all this legal crap that says you get no retirement money, you (and family) waive all claims if you get hurt, etc. Since I'm sure someone would find a way around those, doubt that could actually happen.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27425946/mayfield-giants-pick-jones-blows-my-mind

All he really did was say what most of us think about the Giants drafting Daniel Jones. However - I do kind of wonder how Baker Mayfield is going to deal with the blowback if/when he and the Browns struggle. It's easy to be brash and cocky when everyone loves you. It's not the same after a three INT game or when your team is mired in a multi-game losing streak, and that stuff will happen.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27425946/mayfield-giants-pick-jones-blows-my-mind

All he really did was say what most of us think about the Giants drafting Daniel Jones. However - I do kind of wonder how Baker Mayfield is going to deal with the blowback if/when he and the Browns struggle. It's easy to be brash and cocky when everyone loves you. It's not the same after a three INT game or when your team is mired in a multi-game losing streak, and that stuff will happen.
This. He clearly thrives on being polarizing, and loves to prove people wrong. I can't fault him for that. If that's what motivates him, so be it. But, like you said, I'm curious how that bravado is going to hold up if they start losing. Fans love antics like his when you win, but nothing gets old faster than a cocky loser.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
This. He clearly thrives on being polarizing, and loves to prove people wrong. I can't fault him for that. If that's what motivates him, so be it. But, like you said, I'm curious how that bravado is going to hold up if they start losing. Fans love antics like his when you win, but nothing gets old faster than a cocky loser.

They're still very much in the honeymoon phase in Cleveland. And hey, who knows? Maybe they'll be every bit as good as advertised. But the roster is as volatile as it is talented, and the fanbase has high (unreasonably high, maybe) expectations. It's just a lot, especially for a guy who has never even been a coordinator, let alone a head coach. And the AFC North is no joke. The Steelers are a little worse without AB and Leveon but they'll be fine. And the Ravens aren't going anywhere. And the Bengals are...well, bless their hearts for trying.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Found this hilarious.

1phjujpvenh31.jpg

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Week 3 of the preseason. Traditionally this is the week where they actually try to play more than a series or two so they can get a good feeling of what they've got.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Week 3 of the preseason. Traditionally this is the week where they actually try to play more than a series or two so they can get a good feeling of what they've got.

The Colts and Bears are holding out most of their starters on Saturday. So probably no David Montgomery, and if Brissett gets held out then that gives you a pretty good idea of how the Colts feel about Andrew Luck being ready to go in Week 1.

I think this might become a trend where coaches eschew the dress rehearsal notion and start holding their key guys out of all the preseason games. With OTAs and minicamps and training camps the idea of "knocking the rust off" is something from a bygone era. If these guys aren't good to go by now then a couple series of in-game reps probably isn't going to change that. That's not to say there aren't exceptions, but by and large there just isn't much benefit to exposing key players to injury in an exhibition game.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The Packers-Raiders game tonight is being played on an 80 yd field in Winnipeg. Just stupid.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

I think that old tradition is starting to go by the wayside.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron