Want some Purdy Koolaid? Listen to this.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
Agree, I am hesitant to read too far into that stat as I feel Butler's big play ability really skews that average upwards and Purdy is the benefactor. I would anticipate that average coming back down to earth this year if I was putting money on it.

Some of Butler's longest plays in his career (what we think about for his 'Big Play Ability') were in games that Purdy was not QB. 2018 vs Oklahoma (Noland), 2017 at Baylor (Noland), 2017 vs Iowa (Park), 2017 Liberty Bowl (Kempt)...

Plays like these did not inflate the QB numbers for Zeb, Kyle, or Jacob like they did for Purdy which shows he wasn't a bailout, but that Purdy was actually that accurate.

Reactions: clone4life82

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Not shocked that some of you fixate on what Hawkeyes think in a thread solely related to a great young Cyclone quarterback.

Just sad that you only see your own team as a reflection of Iowa.
The game is in like 3 weeks, relax. Let people take some pot shots.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Not shocked that some of you fixate on what Hawkeyes think in a thread solely related to a great young Cyclone quarterback.

Just sad that you only see your own team as a reflection of Iowa.
Troll confirmed. I've had my suspicions.

• Funny
Reactions: Aclone

whitehispanicfrog

Oct 23, 2017
Fort Worth
TCU at 16?! Why? Because they were bad last year and they always bounce back. Ok. C'mon man, you're better than that.

Agreed.

While I hope it's a bounce back year, it's going to boil down to QB play for the Horned Frogs. The OC is on the hot seat too. And no injuries of our key players.

One bright spot is our DLine. Our stud DT is returning from a preseason injury from last year that kept him out all season. He was a beast his freshman year.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I'll water the koolaid a little to help your blood sugar levels. ISU was the 75th scoring offense last year.

If Brock and the OL have improved and Manning being back is a net positive we should be a top 30 team against the big xii defenses.

Reactions: The_Architect

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
Some of Butler's longest plays in his career (what we think about for his 'Big Play Ability') were in games that Purdy was not QB. 2018 vs Oklahoma (Noland), 2017 at Baylor (Noland), 2017 vs Iowa (Park), 2017 Liberty Bowl (Kempt)...

Plays like these did not inflate the QB numbers for Zeb, Kyle, or Jacob like they did for Purdy which shows he wasn't a bailout, but that Purdy was actually that accurate.

Butler was third in the ncaa last year in avg YPR with 21.97 and lead the team in receptions and yards, of coarse it scews Purdy’s numbers. It’s not to say Purdy won’t be a great QB or have a great year, I just think that kind of avg says more about butler than purdy.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Butler was third in the ncaa last year in avg YPR with 21.97 and lead the team in receptions and yards, of coarse it scews Purdy’s numbers. It’s not to say Purdy won’t be a great QB or have a great year, I just think that kind of avg says more about butler than purdy.
Yeah, but there's this:

"While Hakeem Butler was an excellent safety valve that allowed Purdy to chuck the ball up sometimes, Cyclones receivers finished the year with a drop rate of 8.7 percent. That's not good, and Butler was the biggest culprit (he had a drop rate of 15.2 percent)."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...n-their-numbers-made-them-appear-in-2018/amp/

Reactions: CyTwins

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
So do most quarterbacks. Purdy threw some absolute dimes last year and people are trying to define him as just throwing jump balls.
He did constantly, in the same breathe saying he got bailed out there was also a lot of drops on some outstanding passes.