Who starts at running back against UNI?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Who starts at running back against UNI?

• Kene

Votes: 87 28.8%
  • Lang

Votes: 29 9.6%
  • Hall

Votes: 38 12.6%
  • Croney

Votes: 142 47.0%
  • Brock

Votes: 6 2.0%

• Total voters

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
While I fall somewhere in between you and the national media, it still needs to be stated - YPC for the rest of the team wasn't good compared to what DM did. That's a fact.

I'm hoping Hall supplants the RB position a few games in and takes over. The others can get spot carries as situational backs. The OL definitely needs to make bigger strides this season or the running game may look bleak. The fact that Purdy can run should help open up some lanes though.
I’d equate that more to short bursts for the other guys. They showed IMO they could do it. They just didn’t get a lot of opportunities to do it consistently. All three combined had a third as many attempts as Montgomery.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
This is why the worries about replacing Montgomery are overstated in the national media. He was great but we have the depth to sustain without him. We have 3 backs who have done well in the past in their brief opportunities and we have two highly touted freshmen.
Montgomery was amazing but I feel having him almost hampered us in a way. He is an amazing back, my favorite player to ever come through, but talent that could be used in many ways sat behind him simply because he had to be on the field. Now our has to be on the field guy is Purdy, and when your QB is your best player, sky is the limits.

Reactions: Doc

CySanka3

Jan 15, 2014
Chicago
I know the hype is with Hall, but I'd love if Brock can step up too just for the double Brock action and commentary:

"Brock Purdy with the hand off to Jirehl Brock, Brock with the lateral to Purdy its a flea flicker! Brock Purdy drops back scrambles, Jirehl Brock flares to the middle, Purdy with the toss to Brock, Brock makes the catch, the 20, the 10, TD! Brock to Brock touch downs for Brock and Co."

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Unpopular opinion here. I have never been impressed with what I have seen from Croney. He is serviceable as a backup but I haven't seen anything to warrant starter type carries. Kene gets the start.

My problem with Croney is the 2.4 or whatever ypc. Not that Kene had great numbers, but Croney seemed to get tackled for a loss a lot.

• Agree
Reactions: Carlisle Clone

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Croney got very few touches in the second half of last season. I think Kene will be out there with the 1st team at the start of the UNI game, but I think Breece will have the most touches this year, followed by Kene, then Lang and then Croney. I think Brock will get some touches as well but will end up redshirting.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Remember last fall camp when it was a 2 man race for middle linebacker? Then suddenly it became a 3 man race with a true freshman and that true freshman actually won the job and played a fantastic right from the start?

It could happen at running back this year

Easier for a freshman to break through at RB than MLB as well.

I just have a hunch that Lang has something to unleash. I think the good news is, out of 5 backs of this caliber, one if them is likely to do something big.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I think it will be Johnny Lang. It looked like Kene struggled with pass protection at times last year.
I guess I can see that. And Lang did get the start when Montgomery was out. Kene had some nice plays, but he probably isn't a 3 down back. Not sure that Lang is either, but it doesn't matter. We have five RB's that all have potential to have big games.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Lang will start, he is the most well rounded and fast. I think Breece is gonna be a very special back once he gets his feet wet though.

• Disagree
Reactions: LincolnWay187

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Croney got very few touches in the second half of last season. I think Kene will be out there with the 1st team at the start of the UNI game, but I think Breece will have the most touches this year, followed by Kene, then Lang and then Croney. I think Brock will get some touches as well but will end up redshirting.

If we can push around UNI (we hopefully can), and open holes Kene will have a huge game with his speed but he needs that initial hole much like Mike Warren

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think the most well rounded back by the end of the year is going to be Breece Hall. But, first game I would assume that Croney or Kene would get the start. I also don't think just because one of them takes the first snap, it makes them the starter. Kene has a different skill set than Croney and even Lang, so I presume we'll play each one of them to their specific strengths. Brock will get his shots too and if he shows promise, I would not be surprised if we burned his redshirt. Him coming late to Ames put him a step behind everyone else and it might take a little bit of time before he figures things out, but I don't think anyone would disagree him and Hall are the types of backs that CMC is looking for.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I know the hype is with Hall, but I'd love if Brock can step up too just for the double Brock action and commentary:

"Brock Purdy with the hand off to Jirehl Brock, Brock with the lateral to Purdy its a flea flicker! Brock Purdy drops back scrambles, Jirehl Brock flares to the middle, Purdy with the toss to Brock, Brock makes the catch, the 20, the 10, TD! Brock to Brock touch downs for Brock and Co."

We're going to win Brock-to-Brock conference titles.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I like them all but Kene lacks some toughness to be a featured back, Lang is a decent 3rd down back but not a featured back, and Croney just lacks something intangible.

I think they each are a good backup or change of pace guy but lack the starter feel long term. I’m hopeful Hall can be that crucial featured guy.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Starter won’t be one of the Freshmen against UNI. I actually think we will be hesitant to burn Jirehl Brock’s Redshirt. He can play in 4 games and still RS. Also not here in Spring. Doubt if he plays against UNI. Eventually Breece Hall is the starter eventually.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone