All Iowa Football Team---Post Bowl Edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
No, the staff is super high on Merriweather. The Miami and Rutgers games will be big for him to get some game experience before the schedule toughens up. Despite the troll post you made in a different thread, Merriweather hasn’t had a rough camp. He’ll make some mistakes early on, but I have faith in Phil to get those cleaned up as the season wears on.
I have been told that having easier early games does nothing to prepare teams for tougher games and not having them really isn't a disadvantage.

At least that is what I have been told.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
No, the staff is super high on Merriweather. The Miami and Rutgers games will be big for him to get some game experience before the schedule toughens up. Despite the troll post you made in a different thread, Merriweather hasn’t had a rough camp. He’ll make some mistakes early on, but I have faith in Phil to get those cleaned up as the season wears on.

You sure are clueless

On defense, some uncertainty at free safety

Sophomore Kaevon Merriweather worked his way to the top of the depth chart at free safety with a magnificent set of spring practices. But defensive coordinator Phil Parker said Tuesday that he hasn’t backed that up with as strong of a summer.

That means sophomore Jack Koerner, a walk-on from West Des Moines Dowling Catholic, is suddenly being viewed as a potential starter. Parker is going to let the possibilities play out one more week.

“He needs some growing,” Parker said of Merriweather. “I’m concerned with it.

"You know how some guys get sometimes … they’ve got to keep pushing themselves to keep getting better.”

Parker compared Koerner to recently graduated safety Jake Gervase, who also arrived as a walk-on.

“I like the way he competes, the way he thinks about things and how he goes about his business,” Parker said of Koerner. “He’s going to put the time and effort into it. It means something to him. Any time you have a little chip on your shoulder, that helps you.”

Free safety is the most important position battle on the Iowa defense. Whoever wins it will line up alongside junior Geno Stone.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
The staff is super high on him. Lol

"You know how some guys get sometimes … they’ve got to keep pushing themselves to keep getting better.”

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
The staff is super high on him. Lol

They are super high on him, and Koerner was also “pushing” Merriweather for the starting spot in the spring, too. There’s a ton of talent in the secondary- if Merriweather ends up not being able to get it done, they’ll find someone else who can.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
They are super high on him, and Koerner was also “pushing” Merriweather for the starting spot in the spring, too. There’s a ton of talent in the secondary- if Merriweather ends up not being able to get it done, they’ll find someone else who can.

So you're not going to apologize to me for calling me a troll when I said I heard he had a bad camp?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So an Iowa coach saying that a player has some growing to do = him having an awful summer? Sure thing, troll.

I was told he had a horrible camp but yes a coach is going say that to the media. I mean the fact he's concerned about it is telling enough for anyone with common sense

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Rutgers? C'mon man.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I actually think Riley Moss could play a competent FS for Iowa. Seemed like a decent athlete but wasn’t great positionally in man coverage. Seems like a good fit at safety.