Fly in Canadian fishing

Hill4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 25, 2009
Minneapolis
It is not a fly in resort, but I would strongly suggest Knotty Pines Lodge in Ear Falls, Ontario. It is a boat in lodge on the English river with awesome fishing. Tons of walleye / northern / muskey / small mouth. There are 7 lakes to fish along the river with plenty of variety. The camp is fairly small and run by the owner who really takes care of his guests. It is roughly a 4-5 hour drive from the US board at International Falls, MN. The owner meets you at the launch and has a large boat to carry all the gear you bring, so no weight limits like a fly in. Camp is clean and in good working condition. The wife and I bring our own boat, as she likes to fish in more comfort, but the camp boats work well for the rest of the crew.

• Informative
Reactions: jay moe and NWICY

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Appreciate any Canadian fly in recommendatons.

I've used several outfitters. A lot depends on what kind of trip you want. Do you want a fly-in lodge type experience or the remote outpost camp? In general, the more remote/north you go, the more world class the fishing. Are you after enormous pike, walleye, lake trout, or even brook trout? It's pretty hard to get up far enough north for grayling without a big increase in expense. How nice and updated does the cabin need to be? Is multi lake exploration important to you? Are you ok with a few other cabins on the lake or do you want the lake all to yourselves? What's your budget? Your normal remote fly-in trip costs about $1500 per person/week for the cabin and float plane ride, plus travel expenses and food. If you do the full on lodge type trip add another $1,000 or more. Personally, I'd prefer the remote fly-in cabin experience, but others want the luxury of guides and prepared meals that's part of the lodge experience.

If you want an introduction to fly-in fishing with some excellent walleye fishing, some big pike, and depending on the lake a chance at a lake trout, then my recommendation would be Mattice Lake Outfitters. They are out of Armstrong Station, Ontario north of Thunder Bay.

I haven't gone on a lodge trip for about 20 years so I don't have a good recommendation for that kind of trip.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
My dad and his crew go with Ignace Outposts. Just checked their website, they've got a photo of him showing off a Northern. They've been going with that place ever since I can remember. Probably 30 years.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I went with my dad to this place and would highly recommend. The camp is the only thing on the lake except for an A frame cabin straight across the lake. Pack light and only bring the essentials due to weight limits. Once you cross the border the drive up to Red Lake is brutal and can be really slow so make sure you give yourself plenty of extra time so you don't miss your flight window.

http://www.bullmoosecamp.com/

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I am headed on a trip leaving this weekend. Will be back in time for the Football game.

We have been going for a few years with Halley's Camps. They have multiple outposts to choose from. Fly out north of Kenora using river air.

They recently built new cabins and have flushing toilets and hot and cold showers with solar power and generator backup.

http://www.halleyscamps.com/fly-in-outposts/

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I went with my dad to this place and would highly recommend. The camp is the only thing on the lake except for an A frame cabin straight across the lake. Pack light and only bring the essentials due to weight limits. Once you cross the border the drive up to Red Lake is brutal and can be really slow so make sure you give yourself plenty of extra time so you don't miss your flight window.

When I was a teenager, my dad and I drove to Red Lake and flew to an outpost from there, and yeah, it was quite the haul. Also, the plane we flew out on sounded like a glorified lawn mower that had a rusted out muffler. It was first light, overcast and rainy, and our pilot was wearing sunglasses and looked like he just rolled out of the bar lol. But we made it there and back again, so that's what counts!

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
When I was a teenager, my dad and I drove to Red Lake and flew to an outpost from there, and yeah, it was quite the haul. Also, the plane we flew out on sounded like a glorified lawn mower that had a rusted out muffler. It was first light, overcast and rainy, and our pilot was wearing sunglasses and looked like he just rolled out of the bar lol. But we made it there and back again, so that's what counts!

That just adds to the experience! Couple that with a 55 gallon drum of gasoline buckled in right next to you and you're in for a real treat!

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclonepride

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

That was supposed to stay between us...

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
For quite a number of years I have flown with Northern Wilderness (northernwilderness.net) out of Fort Francis, Ontario, Canada (just across the border from International Falls, MN). As was mentioned, there are different kinds of fly-in fishing. Northern Wilderness is almost exclusively an outfitter who will fly you to their cabin at a remote lake, drop you off and expect you to fend for yourself for much of the week, then come back and pick you up. We always asked to purchase another day for a full week. Their reservation schedule is almost always booked a year out from a specific date, so if you want to go August 1 a year from now, then you are already too late unless your willing to play pot-luck on a certain lake (some lakes are more popular than others, but all are good fishing). Their prices are on the website. They also have a facebook page. They have been doing this for over 40 years. The cabins I've visited are usually quite well equipped but are completely off-grid. Water is pumped from the lake and is fairly clean. Solar panels provide electric power. Propane stoves and refrigerators. The toilet is old school pit toilets, so be prepared for the stench. There are usually fish filleting stations near the dock (bring your own knife and cutting board). Though the bears and gulls (and eagles) don't care where you leave the fish guts, you will be much safer if you haul the guts elsewhere and keep leftovers out of bear reach. We always brought mousetraps with us. There was usually peanut butter in the cabin (leftover from other campers) to bait those traps with. The areas around the cabins are usually less populated with flying insects, but bring the DeepWoods version of your repellant (but keep it off your hands, as the fish can smell that stuff).

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Not a fly-in, but f you are fine with driving a long way. I would recommend wakusko falls lodge on snow lake in northern Manitoba, it's just over 1,000 miles one way from northern iowa. Some of the best walleye fishing anywhere.
Many years ago I caught a 34 inch walleye out of snow lake. We were trolling crank baits. My line got crossed with my brothers after turning around so we traded poles. Not 10 seconds go by and I hook the fish. I offered the pole back but he didnt want it.
A few years later my cousin caught a 36 inch walleye on the same lake. The walleyes that big are fairly rare but many walleye are caught over 28 inches.
They have access to many lakes off the beaten path. Some down an abandoned rail bed. At one of these lakes our boat that had my self my dad and my uncle in it, caught over a dozen northern over 40 inches. I hooked a massive northern dont know exactly how big it was, but had to be at least 50 inches, saw it briefly on the surface. it straightened the snap on my out before I got it to the boat and got away, the lake is called krug lake, we've gone to that lake a few more times but it is nothing like that first day we went. Some of the lakes are only accessible by 4 wheeler through a swamp. I think they may have changed their rules at these lakes and require a guide now so it may take some of the adventure away. But still probably a good time.

Reactions: SCyclone

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

Here is the place to go. It is a little pricey, at least it seems that way to me, but it is well worth the money. The cabins are all clean, have a bathroom, electricity and heat. Boats are older aluminum, but do not leak, have 15 HP electric start motors. The lodge owner has been there for 25 years, and takes great pride in his place. Been going there for 20 years and the fishing is alway good, especially for walleye. Northerns are there, but not a lot of huge ones. The lake system has a river in and out of it, so there are lots of options for fishing. Just a great place to go fishing.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
I am headed on a trip leaving this weekend. Will be back in time for the Football game.

We have been going for a few years with Halley's Camps. They have multiple outposts to choose from. Fly out north of Kenora using river air.

They recently built new cabins and have flushing toilets and hot and cold showers with solar power and generator backup.

http://www.halleyscamps.com/fly-in-outposts/

I second Halley's! My dad has been going there for about 35 years, sometimes twice a year. I have been there five times and it's an annual thing now. The lakes are considered Trophy Fishing designation, meaning you can eat what you want for shore lunch, but rest is catch and release. Because they've been doing that for 20 years or so now, the number and size of fish caught is outstanding. Pretty regular to see at least one person in our group catch 27"+ walleye, 18"+ smallmouth, or 38"+ northern, and tons of 18-25" walleye (what we mainly fish for).

Iowa Connections is a group that goes each year around first week of August, organized by my dad. Usually 15-25 or so of us. Have the only fishing derby (two day, competing for walleyes) w Halleys. Lots of fun.

Typhoon

Sep 30, 2010
I've used several outfitters. A lot depends on what kind of trip you want. Do you want a fly-in lodge type experience or the remote outpost camp? In general, the more remote/north you go, the more world class the fishing. Are you after enormous pike, walleye, lake trout, or even brook trout? It's pretty hard to get up far enough north for grayling without a big increase in expense. How nice and updated does the cabin need to be? Is multi lake exploration important to you? Are you ok with a few other cabins on the lake or do you want the lake all to yourselves? What's your budget? Your normal remote fly-in trip costs about $1500 per person/week for the cabin and float plane ride, plus travel expenses and food. If you do the full on lodge type trip add another $1,000 or more. Personally, I'd prefer the remote fly-in cabin experience, but others want the luxury of guides and prepared meals that's part of the lodge experience.

If you want an introduction to fly-in fishing with some excellent walleye fishing, some big pike, and depending on the lake a chance at a lake trout, then my recommendation would be Mattice Lake Outfitters. They are out of Armstrong Station, Ontario north of Thunder Bay.

I haven't gone on a lodge trip for about 20 years so I don't have a good recommendation for that kind of trip.
Looking more for the remote outpost camp. Have to have northern and walleyes, smallmouth and lake trout a plus but not essential.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Looking more for the remote outpost camp. Have to have northern and walleyes, smallmouth and lake trout a plus but not essential.
You should head to the halleys camps website and give their outposts a gander. I think you will like what you see.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I have used Rusty Meyers from fort Francis and souix lookout. Have gone to lake Wabakimi, have also used thunder hook fly ins out of Armstrong. Recently I have been just driving up and bringing my own boat to Lac suel and rainy lake.

You should have some great fishing no matter what you choose.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron