Jay Jordan -- Light me up

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Over under TD's for TE this year, is 10 too high in your opinion? As a side note, do you see us lining up in double TE formations and shifting say Allen and Kolar to the flats to try and create mismatches against opposing LB's?
@JJIII
I would take the under on that TD number. Just depends on how the team scores and if they are more or less explosive.

Yes, I think you will two or three on the field very often, but they won’t be in a traditional position as a matter of course. And, yes, I think they will run crossing routes and pivots to the flat, see WVU Kolar TD, but ISU likes to stretch the field with them and get them on safeties where the size mismatch is more pronounced.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
What blows my mind is that each year we've added some "surprise" freshmen to that mix of legit players. Last year it was Rose and Purdy. Who is going to step up this year and add to the legitness (if there even is such a word)?

I prefer ligititude

Reactions: cyclones500

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
What blows my mind is that each year we've added some "surprise" freshmen to that mix of legit players. Last year it was Rose and Purdy. Who is going to step up this year and add to the legitness (if there even is such a word)?
There is not such a word. It is handcrafted for this forum.

There is less opportunity for the true freshman than there has been in the last few years. Obviously Breece Hall qualifies And I think that will happen at some point. The surprise one may be Leonard Glass who is a smallish all-purpose player that I could see making some noise. It may not be prominent, but could be an important enough wrinkle to burn the redshirt.

Reactions: harimad

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I would take the under on that TD number. Just depends on how the team scores and if they are more or less explosive.

Yes, I think you will two or three on the field very often, but they won’t be in a traditional position as a matter of course. And, yes, I think they will run crossing routes and pivots to the flat, see WVU Kolar TD, but ISU likes to stretch the field with them and get them on safeties where the size mismatch is more pronounced.
Do you anticipate a lot of 13 (H as a TE) and 22 formations being that we have such a diverse skill set for both the RB and TE positions? I could see a lot of all 3 TE's with Soehner at the H giving us a crazy versatile offense, that can run heavy, or split you out and do both.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
this thread + the article today:

vGSY-OPVPq0VyUpMZSBDkLAq512aFw1XPCxgU0gj_v0.gif

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

We did give them a little bit of the what for last year which had them really frustrated. But I am looking for a 70-7 beatdown variety.

Reactions: NWICY

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
All joking aside, I think the UNI game is much more important than the Iowa game. That has not always been the case, but I think the script has flipped.

In the past, a win versus Iowa was huge for perception and team chemistry in the Big 12.
I think a win against Iowa is very important, and for a reason no one is considering.

Simple enough. Remember what happened when a loss to us was the only blemish on Iowa’s schedule?

My question. If Brocks stays healthy, can he crack 4,000 yards (including postseason)—or is that a matter of offensive structure?

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
I think a win against Iowa is very important, and for a reason no one is considering.

Simple enough. Remember what happened when a loss to us was the only blemish on Iowa’s schedule?

My question. If Brocks stays healthy, can he crack 4,000 yards (including postseason)—or is that a matter of offensive structure?
The last ISU qb to crack 2,500 is Sam B. My expectation is around 3,500 which would be a step up.

The real yardage key is rushing. The paltry 1600 last year needs to expand to 2,200 or more. That is all about the offensive line progression.

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Do you anticipate a lot of 13 (H as a TE) and 22 formations being that we have such a diverse skill set for both the RB and TE positions? I could see a lot of all 3 TE's with Soehner at the H giving us a crazy versatile offense, that can run heavy, or split you out and do both.
I think you are dead on.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Any updates on the freshman DL guys? I rewatched the WV game the other night, Isaiah Lee filled in for Lima and had a phenomenal game.
The West Virginia game is a good re watch. The adversity that faced the 2018 team was pretty remarkable.

There has not been a lot of d line news largely because it is a settled group. I would expect some comments from Coach at Friday’s availability.

That said, lee and Robertson will be rotation guys and counted on to keep the unit fresh.The buzz from that group is that Lima is another step of good and eye catching.

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
I've come back to this statement two or three times now and wanted to re post for more emphasis. Talk about high praise.
Maybe I should explain.

The safety position was poor in 16 and 17. Then #12 showed up. He has vertical and horizontal range. He is a hitter with LB instincts in run support and coverage skill that focuses attack points at white and Lewis.

He reminds me of Marcus Robertson. Marcus was one of the best and least talked about alums and played 12 solid years in the NFL. Marcus was a better cover man, but Eisworth is better in run support.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Maybe I should explain.

The safety position was poor in 16 and 17. Then #12 showed up. He has vertical and horizontal range. He is a hitter with LB instincts in run support and coverage skill that focuses attack points at white and Lewis.

He reminds me of Marcus Robertson. Marcus was one of the best and least talked about alums and played 12 solid years in the NFL. Marcus was a better cover man, but Eisworth is better in run support.

Jay,
Lets talk about pro prospects.

Who do you think will get drafted next year, year after?
Lima? Johnson?
Does Kolar or enyi leave early after next year?
Where does Eisworth land?

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Jay,
Lets talk about pro prospects.

Who do you think will get drafted next year, year after?
Lima? Johnson?
Does Kolar or enyi leave early after next year?
Where does Eisworth land?
Another great topic and I have pissed away an afternoon of work.

This is my thought on potential NFL talent on the roster. No idea how the NFL will evaluate them, but there are currently 22 players from Toledo competing for roster spots. The league respects Coach Campbell and there will be consistent interest in the coming years. I will probably forget some and over rate some.

First/Second day
Kolar
McDonald
Rose

Third Day
Lima
Eisworth
Downing
Knipfel
Johnson
Enyi
JaQuan
Milton
Allen

Free agent
JGJ
Newell
Jamahl
Deshaunte
Spears

Maybe
Vance —could see a flyer
Kene — as a returner
Leo — will test well and could get a tryout.

That is a lot of dudes. But based on the talent profile and the fact that Harvey, Payne, and Eaton are getting looks and Campos has survived on the practice squad for a year, I think these guys fit.

Lima has great value because he is at a discounted position. Kolar, McDonald play sexy positions, and Rose is just that good.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Thanks for the refresher on Marcus Robertson! He was coming through ISU when I was there. Great player at ISU, and I enjoyed following his great career with the Oilers/Titans. He's also had a steady NFL coaching/admin job ever since he retired from playing. Would be nice to see him on the sidelines sometime at an ISU game.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Another great topic and I have pissed away an afternoon of work.

This is my thought on potential NFL talent on the roster. No idea how the NFL will evaluate them, but there are currently 22 players from Toledo competing for roster spots. The league respects Coach Campbell and there will be consistent interest in the coming years. I will probably forget some and over rate some.

First/Second day
Kolar
McDonald
Rose

Third Day
Lima
Eisworth
Downing
Knipfel
Johnson
Enyi
JaQuan
Milton
Allen

Free agent
JGJ
Newell
Jamahl
Deshaunte
Spears

Maybe
Vance —could see a flyer
Kene — as a returner
Leo — will test well and could get a tryout.

That is a lot of dudes. But based on the talent profile and the fact that Harvey, Payne, and Eaton are getting looks and Campos has survived on the practice squad for a year, I think these guys fit.

Lima has great value because he is at a discounted position. Kolar, McDonald play sexy positions, and Rose is just that good.
Do you not see Purdy having a chance based on his size?