Scates Fall Camp

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
To this point, though, and I know others have mentioned it as well, but because CMC is so particular about the wording he uses and the answers he gives, when he does give something of substance ( a name ) it usually is because they have been showing him things. Many of the people we have seen have "break out" years, you can go back to spring or fall ball and find a quote from CMC or a position coach praising the player. So if the coaches, especially CMC, go out of their way to give props to a player (specifically ones we don't already know) then I think that is a nod to us fans that we can give that a bit more weight.

That is my approach to his interviews, at least.

I agree with that. If Campbell mentions a player in an unsolicited fashion, that is absolutely someone to watch.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I think a lot of what Campbell says, when asked about specific players, is the exact same message being given the players. That is, whatever motivational cues they are using, or whatever specific things they need to improve on. For example:
-has a really high potential (to encourage guys that aren't figuring it out yet)
-working on consistency (to improve focus and practice effort/reps)
-really working on his craft (complimenting diligence and effort and improvement)
etc etc
So from that perspective, it's not just "coach speak" cliches.

That said, he does use a lot of bland blather, like every coach. I mean, you have to. How could you do hours of media questions and have an insightful and meaningful answer to all that BS? You can't. So sometimes you break out the cliches. It's the right thing to do.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
That’s not coach speak. That’s normal communication.

I’ll give you an example. When someone asks you how you’re doing today, do you just reply “Fine” (or “Crappy”)—or do you give them a detailed account of your day? Normal communication.

Coach speak is when you don’t give any real information—and what you do say generally evades and diverts from the truth.

That's your definition, and that's fine. I think we both agree he doesn't do that. You set a pretty high bar for "coach speak." I think of "coach speak" the same as "corporate talk" - saying things with no substance, mostly because you have to say something when people ask you questions. It's sometimes necessary, but still mildly annoying. The majority of Campbell's answers in interviews have no substance. That's OK, but in my view it's coach speak.

An example -

Question: Coach, who is your best running back right now?
Coach Speak Answer (That Campbell would likely give): You know, all our running backs are doing really great out there in practice. Each one of these guys brings something different to the table and I just couldn't tell you that we have one best player at that position.
Non-Coach Speak Answer: Right now, we think Player X is the best because he is the one who can really drive the ball forward in short yardage situations and you can really count on him to keep the ball secure.

Anyway, I'll stop derailing the thread. I hope Scates has a great season!

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think a lot of what Campbell says, when asked about specific players, is the exact same message being given the players. That is, whatever motivational cues they are using, or whatever specific things they need to improve on. For example:
-has a really high potential (to encourage guys that aren't figuring it out yet)
-working on consistency (to improve focus and practice effort/reps)
-really working on his craft (complimenting diligence and effort and improvement)
etc etc
So from that perspective, it's not just "coach speak" cliches.

That said, he does use a lot of bland blather, like every coach. I mean, you have to. How could you do hours of media questions and have an insightful and meaningful answer to all that BS? You can't. So sometimes you break out the cliches. It's the right thing to do.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
We're in the Midwest. Ohio is in the northeast.

I'm just giving you a hard time, but if you look at a map of the country, Iowa is central and Ohio isn't.
Bate taken!
6F2iar4-24UEgUrhzlvntXayiSEaxLm3c-4tLhl5h0cD9vDNV09B08_-vE4Ak7G1Lfet7xghotcKhpk26mcdQR83DwhSRD41zf2rBxNscsNFX2RMHOi7jP94aPPNAt9zRjXeu5hR

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-19_15-17-25.jpeg
    upload_2019-8-19_15-17-25.jpeg
    5.5 KB · Views: 47
  • upload_2019-8-19_15-18-40.jpeg
    upload_2019-8-19_15-18-40.jpeg
    6.8 KB · Views: 49

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I'm aware that Ohio is included in every definition of "Midwest" there is. Probably the quintessential Midwestern state to many.

I'm just giving my own opinion. It takes as long to get to Akron from Des Moines as it takes to get to Dallas from Des Moines. Ohio is a long damn ways away from Iowa, and isn't centrally located whatsoever.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I get concerns about the Moss comparisons being thrown around when viewed through the lens of Scates' trouble last year. Because, face it, despite all of his talent and ability, Randy Moss was a knucklehead.

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
I think the scates and Wilson talk is real. Surprised Pettway hasn’t made much headway. See what I did there.

There remains length, size and speed post Lazard and Butler. The WR room is stacked. Porter and Glass will be factors sooner than later as well.

Good thing the tight ends give some time for those guys to get experience.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I think the scates and Wilson talk is real. Surprised Pettway hasn’t made much headway. See what I did there.

There remains length, size and speed post Lazard and Butler. The WR room is stacked. Porter and Glass will be factors sooner than later as well.

Good thing the tight ends give some time for those guys to get experience.
Definitely agree. The only knock on the WR's is lack of experience, but the talent level is the best this program has ever had. The depth is kinda mind blowing, really. We know what Jones and Milton are capable of, as well as Akers, but I am excited to see the young guys make big plays and I think we will see plenty of that this year.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
I am not sure about Akers. He reminds me of the old time nut-cup Cyclones who would miss an extra point to win, drop a goal line pass in OT, throw away a 4th down pass on the last drive of the game, or fumble with the lead with one minute left in the game.

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I am not sure about Akers. He reminds me of the old time Cyclones who would miss an extra point to win, drop a goal line pass in OT, throw away a 4th down pass on the last drive of the game, or fumble with the lead with one minute left in the game.

Akers is pretty good, and really fast, but I definitely could see his playing time drop this season. Not because he's gotten worse, but I feel like there's just a lot more competition this season for playing time.

I love the fact that opposing teams that don't know any better, like TOE fans for instance, think our WR position will take a step back this season without Hakeem, but I think it will actually be improved without him. Again, not because Hakeem wasn't awesome, he was, but we have a lot more weapons and depth this season IMO.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I'm aware that Ohio is included in every definition of "Midwest" there is. Probably the quintessential Midwestern state to many.

I'm just giving my own opinion. It takes as long to get to Akron from Des Moines as it takes to get to Dallas from Des Moines. Ohio is a long damn ways away from Iowa, and isn't centrally located whatsoever.

Did you see the Midwest Map I posted?