College Gameday in Ames?

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
And there within lies the problem with removing the little bro stigma.

Not really. It’s called a rivalry. We should all look forward to it. Everyone needs to stop thinking like ***** Cyclones from the 1990’s and start thinking like a TV exec for a major network. This is going to be the most electric environment for football that weekend and it won’t even be close. We all should be proud to show it off. The game could be the best springboard ever to a historical season. The Reckoning.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
I really hope we get college game day. Then people would see how intense the rivalry really is.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not really. It’s called a rivalry. We should all look forward to it. Everyone needs to stop thinking like ***** Cyclones from the 1990’s and start thinking like a TV exec for a major network. This is going to be the most electric environment for football that weekend and it won’t even be close. We all should be proud to show it off. The game could be the best springboard ever to a historical season. The Reckoning.

Yeah I get it and really do think it'd be fun for the state, but a highlight of a decade? A springboard? Isn't that the thinking of 1990's ISU? Is there much of a correlation between future success and hosting CGD? Are people going to storm the field too if ISU wins? I hope not.

There's been several moments in ISU football over the past decade (yikes, the OSU win was already almost a decade ago!) that are bigger highlights than whatever happens in the 2nd game of this season.

ISU has had two decent seasons in a row because of what happened after September and the excitement is built around actual depth and a foundation which are rarities.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I still don't think it'll happen. Iowa isn't a big enough name as an opponent. It isn't the 2000s anymore
Agreed. I still think it could be a 2-0 Kentucky with a top 10 Florida coming to town will be Gamedays choice. Also Clemson Syracuse

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Yeah I get it and really do think it'd be fun for the state, but a highlight of a decade? A springboard? Isn't that the thinking of 1990's ISU? Is there much of a correlation between future success and hosting CGD? Are people going to storm the field too if ISU wins? I hope not.

There's been several moments in ISU football over the past decade (yikes, the OSU win was already almost a decade ago!) that are bigger highlights than whatever happens in the 2nd game of this season.

ISU has had two decent seasons in a row because of what happened after September and the excitement is built around actual depth and a foundation which are rarities.

Forget that it's Iowa, how many other times has Iowa State won the national game of the week?

..That's why it's the highlight of the decade. Not because Iowa.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It’s simple. Here’s how it works.

Game Day comes to Ames to see us beat an undefeated Iowa team. Nice enough.

Then, with non-stellar matchups everywhere else, we force them to come back to Ames when we’re undefeated, beating a previously undefeated Texas team—when both of us have just beaten OU.

The stars align. Win-win, all the way around. ;)

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

It would be the biggest win of the season to date and set up expectations for bigger wins down the schedule. I embrace the rivalry and to deny it makes us no better than those pinheads. Are there more important games...absolutely. But I don’t hate any of them as much as Iowa. A win against anyone would be great, but a national showcase on College Game Day against a rival pumping up the volume on what is already primed for a big year?!! Yeah, that would be a highlight. If that is little brother then I guess I’m little brother. I’d rather have a conference title, but first things first and then they only get bigger.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Forget that it's Iowa, how many other times has Iowa State won the national game of the week?

..That's why it's the highlight of the decade. Not because Iowa.

How many times has ISU even been on a big national stage in general?

Semantics but does College Game Day mean it's the national game of the week necessarily?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
How many times has ISU even been on a big national stage in general?

Semantics but does College Game Day mean it's the national game of the week necessarily?
Not necessarily game of the week because once in a while it'll be the Fox game.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Throttling Iowa on College Gameday would be a highlight of the decade for me. The place is gonna be electric. I hope they come. No better way to instantly move the needle national perception wise. Oh, and **** the hawks.
Totally agree. It's our biggest game, and the atmosphere around Jack Trice when Iowa visits is far more intense than when Texas comes.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I always thought that hosting Gameday in football was more about showcasing ISU and the football program in general than being about the actual game. There are other ways to be a featured “national game”. Not quite the same as it is in hoops.

Am I mistaken about that?

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I always thought that hosting Gameday in football was more about showcasing ISU and the football program in general than being about the actual game. There are other ways to be a featured “national game”. Not quite the same as it is in hoops.

Am I mistaken about that?
There is no doubt there would be an outstanding Rinaldi-Jack Trice story.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
If I had the ultimate say in when we’d have Gameday in Ames it would be for the Texas game this year and/or the OU game next year, and then the Cy-Hawk game in 2021. But since I don’t have the final say, I’d be okay with taking it when we can get it. I think the first time we ever host it the show should be all about ISU, like Washington State’s was last year against Oregon, but the Cy-Hawk game would not be that way. Those turd holes out east would be smearing every camera shot up with their douchiness, probably shoving kids out of the way to be front and center like the infamous Hawk baseball fan. I hope the Cy-Hawk game gets featured someday in Ames, just not for the first time Gameday is ever here. This is not because I think we’d be outnumbered in any way, but how obnoxious the a$$hats of that fan base can be and that they have an above average number of those fans.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Everyone needs to stop thinking like ***** Cyclones from the 1990’s and start thinking like a TV exec for a major network.

The TV execs from FOX already put this game on FS1 and gave Arizona State vs. Michigan State the FOX slot. So that tells you something.

Also Syracuse hosting the #1 team in the country and getting their first-ever shot at hosting GameDay would be similarly rowdy environment.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron