College Gameday in Ames?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I doubt it's the majority opinion. They're just more outspoken.
I don't disagree. I think the fanbase as a whole will be excited. But you can't blame hawk message board posters for reading this thread and others and having a field day with it. We would do the same thing.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I don't disagree. I think the fanbase as a whole will be excited. But you can't blame hawk message board posters for reading this thread and others and having a field day with it. We would do the same thing.

I'm not excited about the possibility of multiplying the number of Hok knuckle-draggers that come to Ames, but the CyHawk game would be a fantastic Gameday setting. Especially with the backdrop of the tailgating lots like Jamie wants.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I disagree. The majority opinion seems to be not wanting gameday during the Iowa game. That is born out of chicken **** fear IMO that Iowa will somehow steal all the glory. I disagree with that, and dont think it will be a problem. But I think a lot of posters here are scared of that. A TON of little brother in all the threads related to the possibility of gameday showing up for that game.

Me not wanting gameday for the ISU/Iowa game has nothing to do with Iowa stealing the glory or anything like it. My reason is simple, if we get them for that game as our first time, Iowa fans will be saying for years "the only reason that Gameday came to Ames, was because of Iowa and their fan base, and without it being against Iowa, they never would have came.".
We can get the same PR for the Texas game with a lot less crap from Squawk fans. To me that is a win/win.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
What do you mean "we"? We have a rivalry board full of dipshits that spend hours a day going back and forth with Iowa dipshits. I call them all "they".

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Me not wanting gameday for the ISU/Iowa game has nothing to do with Iowa stealing the glory or anything like it. My reason is simple, if we get them for that game as our first time, Iowa fans will be saying for years "the only reason that Gameday came to Ames, was because of Iowa and their fan base, and without it being against Iowa, they never would have came.".
We can get the same PR for the Texas game with a lot less crap from Squawk fans. To me that is a win/win.
I think we'd all prefer the Texas game but it's far enough away that neither team may deserve the showcase by then. 1 in the hand > 2 in the bush.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

So your only reason for not wanting gameday to come to Ames is you don't want Iowa fans to take credit for it? You think this is better somehow?

Also, this isn't an either or thing with the UT game. The odds of both ISU and UT being in a position where gameday would want to come to Ames is a lot less likely to happen and that is in the heart of conference play where there is bound to be a lot of decent matchups. I would rather have gameday come to the UT game as well, but the Iowa game is WAY more likely and I want Gameday in Ames to showcase our program any way we can get it.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

They will say **** no matter what. **** Iowa. Stop caring what a bunch of tavern hawks say.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
My reason is simple, if we get them for that game as our first time, Iowa fans will be saying for years "the only reason that Gameday came to Ames, was because of Iowa and their fan base, and without it being against Iowa, they never would have came.".

I would say Matt Campbell had more do with it than anything else.

• Agree
Reactions: Stewo

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
So your only reason for not wanting gameday to come to Ames is you don't want Iowa fans to take credit for it? You think this is better somehow?

Also, this isn't an either or thing with the UT game. The odds of both ISU and UT being in a position where gameday would want to come to Ames is a lot less likely to happen and that is in the heart of conference play where there is bound to be a lot of decent matchups. I would rather have gameday come to the UT game as well, but the Iowa game is WAY more likely and I want Gameday in Ames to showcase our program any way we can get it.

I was not talking about the odds or chance on which game would could get. Lets make it simple. Say Gameday calls you up and says "we will be in Ames for one game, you pick the game, here are you two choices, the Iowa game or the Texas game. Which one do you take?
Texas all the way, same PR for the university and no crap from the Iowa fan base.

That is all the any of us are saying, if its Iowa 90% or UT at 30% later in the season, then you take the almost sure thing and chose the Cyhawk game, but if we get to chose, and are going to get one no matter what, then its the UT game.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
They will say **** no matter what. **** Iowa. Stop caring what a bunch of tavern hawks say.

You are right, they will, lets not give them the opportunity. Its just like the Drake game last year, no matter what we did, that fan base was going to view it in a negative light. We would have been better off canceling the game once we became bowl eligible.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I doubt it's the majority opinion. They're just more outspoken.
I could definitely see that being it. and how many of those are unique posters saying they don't want it vs. a smaller number of posters saying multiple times that they do not want it?

Plus there's probably a number of people who would rather have gameday at a different game, but would still love it at the Iowa State-Iowa game. I would prefer to have gameday at the texas game. But that doesn't mean I don't want it at the Iowa State-Iowa game, and if my options are either that game or no college gameday, I'm choosing that game

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I just pray Iowa craps the bed their first two games. CGD for a Texas game. Loss, win, win.

And let's hope ISU doesn't let the UNI game even be interesting.

I'm not sure if I'm concerned with Iowa fans flooding Ames--afterall, it's totally surrounded by cornfields and they don't want any of that (since literally every town in Iowa is surrounded by cornfields), it's just the general annoyance of one more source of belligerence on their part.

Overall it would be really fun for the state when you get past the pettiness (including on my part).

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I want Iowa to crap the bed in every game in every season.
source.gif

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
You are right, they will, lets not give them the opportunity. Its just like the Drake game last year, no matter what we did, that fan base was going to view it in a negative light. We would have been better off canceling the game once we became bowl eligible.

Throttling Iowa on College Gameday would be a highlight of the decade for me. The place is gonna be electric. I hope they come. No better way to instantly move the needle national perception wise. Oh, and **** the hawks.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Throttling Iowa on College Gameday would be a highlight of the decade for me. The place is gonna be electric. I hope they come. No better way to instantly move the needle national perception wise. Oh, and **** the hawks.
I’m warming up to this line of thought.

Bring them for Iowa, kick their ass, change national perception, then again for TX.

K... maybe reaching there at the end.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron