Scates Fall Camp

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I think he made some bad choices, mostly related to the guys he was hanging around with. Pretty sure a couple of those guys are no longer on the team, which is a good thing. I have a lot of respect for the way Campbell is able to get most of his guys to buy into team first, even if some of them stumble a little at first.

Yep, agree. These young adults are under a lot of pressure. Thousands of miles from home at 18, new people and friends, along with the transition from high school to college. It’s not to hard for someone to make a few bad choices.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Yep, agree. These young adults are under a lot of pressure. Thousands of miles from home at 18, new people and friends, along with the transition from high school to college. It’s not to hard for someone to make a few bad choices.

Tell me about it.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

Any of you guys that went to ISU that can't remember doing something really stupid when in school is either in denial, was so drunk they forgot, or was one bored college student.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
[
Matt absolutely does speak in coach speak. Now he’s not as bad at it, or insulting about it, as McCarney was.

But he says a lot of words that all boil down to about 2 themes. Always.
Thanks, you just told me that you have no idea what "coach speak" is.

Coach speak is using vague catchphrases and euphemisms that have absolutely nothing to do with either reality or actuality. An attempt to sound generally positive, without giving away details or actually saying anything of substance. In common, non-sports vernacular, it's called "blowing smoke up your ***".

I'll reiterate. This staff doesn't engage in that.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
This isn't coach speak. From February:

“I think Joe’s got elite potential,” Campbell said. "Joe’s as good as any receiver that we’ve had in this program or any program that I’ve been around. He’s got that potential. But, it’s putting it all together.”

Only remember him saying that about 1 other receiver - Butler.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
[

Coach speak is using vague catchphrases and euphemisms that have absolutely nothing to do with either reality or actuality. An attempt to sound generally positive, without giving away details or actually saying anything of substance. In common, non-sports vernacular, it's called "blowing smoke up your ***".

Calm down and row the damn boat man

Reactions: Aclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He was running around with a BB gun, it’s not like he even needs a second chance.

Carrying around something that can easily look like a real gun at night around a college campus isn't the wisest move.

That said we used to have BB gun wars in middle school and while it was extremely stupid and nobody got hurt (bad) it was fun as hell.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
He was running around with a BB gun, it’s not like he even needs a second chance.

Pretty sure there's more to his situation than just the BB gun. But in today's climate you can't run around an apartment complex with a gun that looks more dangerous than it is.

D

Deleted member 8507

Any of you guys that went to ISU that can't remember doing something really stupid when in school is either in denial, was so drunk they forgot, or was one bored college student.
That one time in band camp . . . . wait I wasn't in band. I mean, "You Lee Harvey, that night you and your pals went out to the farm and made it with that cow, I want to party with you cowboy" Wait, I wasn't in Ag either. I guess I was pretty boring. All I did was go to the bars and work on my chugging beer skills.

• Funny
Reactions: demoncore1031

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

The climate we live in today, young black men running around with anything that remotely resembles a gun, is always susceptible to ending in tragedy

The kid was a huge recruit. We were lucky to get him. Let’s hope he had a one off, and he’s ready to be the best wr on the roster. He has the ability.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
[

He definitely does engage in coach speak. To say that he doesn't engage in coach speak means that he answers every question he gets with 100% accurate and meaningful responses and that he talks about the team exactly the same way to the media as he does to his staff and players. He doesn't do that, for a lot of good reasons. I do believe that when he makes specific positive comments about ISU players he is being genuine, but 80-90% of the answers he gives are vague and generically positive. Just in the handful of interviews I've listened to, he says the same thing in answering just about every question (he answers the vast majority of questions by either referencing the good work ethic and moral character of the players, or references to "the process"). And that's OK. For one, half the time the questions he gets have no real answer anyway, so he has to give a generic non-answer to a generic non-question. For another, he isn't going to say "Well, Player X really sucks this year. He's gotten lazy" even if it is true. We don't want him to say that. In private, he may rip that player a new one, but in public he's not going to put his own players or even players from other teams on blast.

Coach speak is necessary in a lot of situations. Some coaches do a bad job of it or try to pump up expectations just to drive excitement, which Campbell and his staff don't do. But, you can't say he doesn't do coach speak. He most definitely does.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yep, I'm the Sgt Shultz of this forum. This statement kind of dates me, but dont care. I'm just a wannabe from the Mid West.

We're in the Midwest. Ohio is in the northeast.

I'm just giving you a hard time, but if you look at a map of the country, Iowa is central and Ohio isn't.

I agree with you on Campbell. He uses a ton of coach speak. It's not a bad thing, but he frequently responds to questions with roundabout buzzword laden answers that don't directly answer the question. I'm fine with it, because it's obvious he's trying to avoid putting any locker room material out there. He isn't blowing smoke up your ass, he just isn't saying anything of substance.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
He definitely does engage in coach speak. To say that he doesn't engage in coach speak means that he answers every question he gets with 100% accurate and meaningful responses....

That’s not coach speak. That’s normal communication.

I’ll give you an example. When someone asks you how you’re doing today, do you just reply “Fine” (or “Crappy”)—or do you give them a detailed account of your day? Normal communication.

Coach speak is when you don’t give any real information—and what you do say generally evades and diverts from the truth.

• Winner
Reactions: CyFy and VeloClone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I agree with you on Campbell. He uses a ton of coach speak. It's not a bad thing, but he frequently responds to questions with roundabout buzzword laden answers that don't directly answer the question. I'm fine with it, because it's obvious he's trying to avoid putting any locker room material out there. He isn't blowing smoke up your ass, he just isn't saying anything of substance.
To this point, though, and I know others have mentioned it as well, but because CMC is so particular about the wording he uses and the answers he gives, when he does give something of substance ( a name ) it usually is because they have been showing him things. Many of the people we have seen have "break out" years, you can go back to spring or fall ball and find a quote from CMC or a position coach praising the player. So if the coaches, especially CMC, go out of their way to give props to a player (specifically ones we don't already know) then I think that is a nod to us fans that we can give that a bit more weight.

That is my approach to his interviews, at least.