NFL: Hard to argue Kaepernick isn't blacklisted....

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/17/sport/eagles-josh-mccown-trnd/index.html

"Alex Whitcomb, manager of audience development for wired.com, wrote: "I'm a big Eagles fan, but I do have to ask: Is Josh McCown really better than Colin Kaepernick?"

A user named Flash Gordon SZN pointed out Kaepernick has four playoff wins in his six seasons and McCown has zero playoff appearances."

I'm not sure if this will affect his lawsuit or not, but this is a bit ridiculous....

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Josh McCown also understands he’s a backup, isn’t demanding pay well over his worth, has played in the last 4 NFL seasons, and isn’t going to bring any distractions to the locker room.
Isn't a system quarterback

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
If he could truly win games for an NFL team he would probably be playing. The protest thing sure doesn't help, but if you look at the last year he played, it is pretty clear that teams had figured out his unique skill set and found a way to stop it.

Also, the number of playoff games that your team is in is a poor measurement of an individual player. There have been a lot of great QBs on bad teams.

The guy is making million playing the victim, I think he will be okay.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If I made political protests while on the job, I would be fired. Welcome to the real world.

I agree. Mike Pence should be fired for showing up at a football game that one time just to stage leaving in protest.

Kaepernick's best years were while Harbaugh was working on wearing out his welcome in San Fran and since he's gone the way of RG3 and a host of others that need to be able to play in the pocket to be successful.

He's simply not good enough. Imo if he were good enough, someone would take the chance on him.

There's exceptions like Russel Wilson but he's one who can play out of the pocket.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It's just really strange to me how outraged people are that a guy sits or kneels for the National Anthem (perfectly within his rights, and not harming anyone), but yet there's guys all over the league who have beat up women, been busted with drugs, drunk driving, etc, etc, etc..... all which have harmed others, or could have, and yet that's somehow fine with these same people that are outraged by Kap.

So hypocritical. The Browns can sign Kareem Hunt, but yet teams are scared of signing Kap? The Chiefs can trade for a guy that beats women, but don't dare sign Kap!

I don't know what Kap is asking for, but if he really wants to play, he should be fine with the league minimum if he really wants a shot again IMO. But I'm sure he won't accept that, so that's on him.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
JZ will buy a team and then put him on the roster. At least that’s what I’d like to see happen.

• Creative
Reactions: RoseClone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I agree. Mike Pence should be fired for showing up at a football game that one time just to stage leaving in protest.

Kaepernick's best years were while Harbaugh was working on wearing out his welcome in San Fran and since he's gone the way of RG3 and a host of others that need to be able to play in the pocket to be successful.

He's simply not good enough. Imo if he were good enough, someone would take the chance on him.

There's exceptions like Russel Wilson but he's one who can play out of the pocket.

You can't tell me that Kap couldn't at least be a 2nd or 3rd string QB for someone. I'd take him easily as the 2nd or 3rd team QB on my Packers.

• Winner
Reactions: Cat Stevens

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think it was hard to argue in year one or two that he wasn't blacklisted.
I have trouble with the term blacklisted. That implies some kind of agreement amongst the owners that he would not be hired, and I don't think that's true. I think if someone was willing to give him a chance they could have. But do I think a bunch of old rich white dudes were like minded and wanted nothing to do with associating their franchises with his political stance, absolutely. And from a business standpoint it's hard to blame them. He was extremely unpopular after taking his stance. Is it worth making a large chunk of your fanbase irate for a backup QB? I think the easy business decision is no.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cat Stevens

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
While his outrage saga was actually one of the dumbest f***in' things on the planet for literally anyone to be upset about, I don't see any performance reasons why someone like McCown or Nathan Peterman would play over him. I'd have to first know what Kaep would take money-wise to sign. He's not getting anything near starter money after this much time away, baggage or not.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I have trouble with the term blacklisted. That implies some kind of agreement amongst the owners that he would not be hired, and I don't think that's true. I think if someone was willing to give him a chance they could have. But do I think a bunch of old rich white dudes were like minded and wanted nothing to do with associating their franchises with his political stance, absolutely. And from a business standpoint it's hard to blame them. He was extremely unpopular after taking his stance. Is it worth making a large chunk of your fanbase irate for a backup QB? I think the easy business decision is no.

This country is pretty sad when beating women is ok with owners, but a player kneeling during the National Anthem is off limits due to how much worse the PR is for the latter.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
So hypocritical. The Browns can sign Kareem Hunt, but yet teams are scared of signing Kap? The Chiefs can trade for a guy that beats women, but don't dare sign Kap!
The problem with this comparison is those guys are talented enough owners are willing to deal with the controversy. Ray Rice didn't see another snap after his incident.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The problem with this comparison is those guys are talented enough owners are willing to deal with the controversy. Ray Rice didn't see another snap after his incident.

Once all the NFL teams have made their cuts, we'll see what QB's all make NFL team rosters, and then we can go down the list and see if you wouldn't take Kap over some of them.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Once all the NFL teams have made their cuts, we'll see what QB's all make NFL team rosters, and then we can go down the list and see if you wouldn't take Kap over some of them.
I'm sure Ray Rice would have been good enough to make a roster too. Apparently you miss the whole point that it's not a question of "is this guy better than that guy". Is Kap going to be better than some of the backups in the league? Maybe. Is he going to be a starter anywhere and a real difference maker for a team? No. Does that make him worth the circus that would follow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron