***Official Montgomery and Butler NFL Thread***

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Via The Athletic: Their prediction who makes the roster.

"WR (7) Larry Fitzgerald, Christian Kirk, Andy Isabella, Hakeem Butler, KeeSean Johnson, Damiere Byrd, Trent Sherfield

Changes: We’re adding Sherfield to the 53-man roster and, in retrospect, probably should have had him making the team all along. Kingsbury has praised Sherfield’s work habits throughout training camp, and the second-year receiver burnished his candidacy with his team-leading four catches for 44 yards and a touchdown against the Chargers. Sherfield also made the special teams play of the night – although Zane Gonzalez’s 55-yard field goal deserves mention – by racing downfield and drilling returner Artavis Scott as soon as Scott caught Andy Lee’s punt at the Chargers 13-yard line.

With Sherfield in, someone had to go. It came down to Damiere Byrd or Pharoh Cooper – we didn’t have Kevin White making the roster before Thursday’s game – and Cooper is the odd man out. Byrd can return kicks like Cooper and also gives the Cardinals a downfield threat with his 4.3 speed."

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...grades-week-1-kyler-murray-deebo-samuel-shine

BEARS vs. PANTHERS: David Montgomery, RB, Chicago, drafted in Round 3, No. 73 overall. I don't know if the Bears are passing out game balls after preseason games, but No. 32 deserves one following his impressive showing against the Panthers. Montgomery tallied 46 scrimmage yards and a touchdown on six touches while exhibiting the silky smooth running style and dynamic pass-catching ability that made him a star at Iowa State. Not only did Montgomery look like an RB1, but he might be a sleeper candidate for Offensive Rookie of the Year. GRADE: A

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Via The Athletic: Their prediction who makes the roster.

"WR (7) Larry Fitzgerald, Christian Kirk, Andy Isabella, Hakeem Butler, KeeSean Johnson, Damiere Byrd, Trent Sherfield

Changes: We’re adding Sherfield to the 53-man roster and, in retrospect, probably should have had him making the team all along. Kingsbury has praised Sherfield’s work habits throughout training camp, and the second-year receiver burnished his candidacy with his team-leading four catches for 44 yards and a touchdown against the Chargers. Sherfield also made the special teams play of the night – although Zane Gonzalez’s 55-yard field goal deserves mention – by racing downfield and drilling returner Artavis Scott as soon as Scott caught Andy Lee’s punt at the Chargers 13-yard line.

With Sherfield in, someone had to go. It came down to Damiere Byrd or Pharoh Cooper – we didn’t have Kevin White making the roster before Thursday’s game – and Cooper is the odd man out. Byrd can return kicks like Cooper and also gives the Cardinals a downfield threat with his 4.3 speed."
With the type of offense they will be running, 7 WR's makes sense. Butler has not been impressive from what I have heard but I doubt they will put him on the practice squad and risk someone else snagging him since he does have some serious potential. KeeSean Johnson will probably end up being their #3 WR behind Fitzgerald and Kirk.

• Agree
Reactions: ZB4CY

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I love watching Kay Adams. She’s not just a talking head, she knows her football, especially fantasy. And, her being a Bears fan, she has interest in what DM does and she’s impressed.

Reactions: Cyientist

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I only saw the box score but Hakeem didn't have any catches in Arizona's pre-season game vs. the Raiders. Kyler Murray had a rough outing.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...grades-week-1-kyler-murray-deebo-samuel-shine

BEARS vs. PANTHERS: David Montgomery, RB, Chicago, drafted in Round 3, No. 73 overall. I don't know if the Bears are passing out game balls after preseason games, but No. 32 deserves one following his impressive showing against the Panthers. Montgomery tallied 46 scrimmage yards and a touchdown on six touches while exhibiting the silky smooth running style and dynamic pass-catching ability that made him a star at Iowa State. Not only did Montgomery look like an RB1, but he might be a sleeper candidate for Offensive Rookie of the Year. GRADE: A
I love it. But, why did it have to be the Bears.....

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
May need to turn this to the "Montgomery and Butler and Lazard NFL thread"

Per The Athletic after last nights Packers game- Projecting the 53 man roster

"Wide receiver (7): Davante Adams, Geronimo Allison, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jake Kumerow, Equanimeous St. Brown, Darrius Shepherd, Allen Lazard

The last two spots in this group, assuming the Packers keep seven wide receivers, will be the hardest for Gutekunst to decide on come cutdown day."

"For now, Shepherd and Lazard earn the last two spots in a crowded receivers room. If the Packers keep only six, I’d take Shepherd over Lazard and Davis right now because of his return abilities"

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
David not playing tonight (or a lot of other Bears for that matter):

Good. They know what they have in Montgomery so no reason to risk injury. They also want to see what a couple other guys can do. That Nall kid looks really good as an athletic power back and Whyte has great speed. I'm not a Bears fan, but I kinda hope they keep Nall as their #4 RB and maybe play him at FB as well.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Should check to see if Harvey gets some run for Cleveland too.
Willie Harvey contributed mightily to Cleveland's win this afternoon versus Indianapolis. His 2nd Half contributions included 3 tackles (2 solo), but the highlight was a pass defended on 4th down with the game on the line. The play, on the Browns 11 yard line, end the Colts comeback bid on their final series of the 4th quarter.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401128189

This has to help his chances of making the roster, or at least getting placed on the practice squad. I listened on Tune-In (there is a free 7 day trial for NFL games), the the Cleveland announcer was obviously impressed with Willie's, as he called it name numerous times during the second half. The line shows 3 tackles, be he was a factor in several other plays.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Updated article from The Athletic:

WR (7) Larry Fitzgerald, Christian Kirk, Andy Isabella, Hakeem Butler, KeeSean Johnson, Damiere Byrd, Trent Sherfield

Changes: None. Sherfield followed up his four-catch performance against in the preseason opener with a 40-yard touchdown against the Raiders. He’s on the roster. Isabella, returning after a minor knee injury, had a 59-yard score and also returned punts and kickoffs. The Cardinals have a difficult decision to make with Butler. It’s clear he’s buried on the depth chart; he was targeted just once Thursday and his only significant playing time came in the fourth quarter when the third-string offense was on the field. Arizona won’t cut Butler, who was a fourth-round pick, and trying to sneak him onto the practice squad might be risky; another team, intrigued by Butler’s potential, could grab him for its 53. But if the Cardinals keep Butler he likely would be inactive most Sundays and thus a roster spot would go unused. Finally, we considered supplanting Byrd with Pharoh Cooper after Cooper had three receptions for 30 yards, but Byrd’s speed and ability to play outside still gives him the edge.