Volleyball recruiting

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
There was a libero in Iowa Macy Akers that chose to play softball at UNI. She had 599 digs and averaged 6.18 digs per set. I wish she would have chosen volleyball.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Our current team has six players over 6' but none of the 2018 recruits are over six foot from what I have read. Height is a major advantage, not and end-all be-all but, a real strength when talented.

I'll agree with this statement. I was just reading about a girl who had the second most kills as a sophomore in the history of her storied high school volleyball program, where she is an outside hitter, and she also took first place in the high jump at a recent track meet. When I read her height, I thought it was a typo. But it wasn't. She really is 5-1,

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Alexis Engelbrecht is rated by Max Preps for 2020 as the #1 player out of North Carolina- committed to Iowa State MB. Back row second from right.

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/al...a-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/volleyball-stats.htm

1033-17black.jpg

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
  • Agree
Reactions: StClone

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
Numbers are not off the charts hitting wise like you would expect out of #1 player in NC- Not saying she won't be good but those numbers surprise me.

I tend to agree with you, but without knowing who she was playing with, it's hard to tell a lot from the stats.

Perhaps the team had dominant outside(s). Schaben had more than double the swings of Lazard (295 kills),and Herbst and Holthaus had more swings as well.

Would also be interesting to know the proclivities of the setter(s) as well. Many, especially at the HS level, are not as comfortable or efficient setting a quicker offense.

We will see. She has another year to get better!

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Would also be interesting to know the proclivities of the setter(s) as well. Many, especially at the HS level, are not as comfortable or efficient setting a quicker offense.

definitely agree- There are girls out there set well over 1000-1200 times and have hundreds of kills but hit .145 so stats do not tell the whole story for sure.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I tend to agree with you, but without knowing who she was playing with, it's hard to tell a lot from the stats.

Perhaps the team had dominant outside(s). Schaben had more than double the swings of Lazard (295 kills),and Herbst and Holthaus had more swings as well.

Need to take HS stats with a grain of salt. VB prospects are primarily evaluated at the club level with a similar level of talent around them and against them. If an elite prospect doesn't have a good HS setter or good complimentary front row teammates, her HS stats will be negatively impacted.

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
The converse can also be true. I have seen very good setters have horrible stats because of ineffective hitters!

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I can count the number of good setters at 16's club level in Iowa with two fingers. Not asking for a bunch of Megan Renners but this age group is thin. 15's have 2-3 outstanding setters and 2-3 very good ones- Good setters are hard to find-

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Alexis Engelbrecht's family is from South Africa. Her sister Liesl was a strong Middle Blocker for Kennesaw State, Georgia.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Question:

Since Bond is going to get canned can the Iowa players transfer without any penalties? Just curious if we were in a battle for any of them.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I don't know if we were in for any of them early on or not. I would guess Iowa will release any of the recruits that request it.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Saintes' Petry to walk on at ISU
https://www.nonpareilonline.com/spo...cle_ac19253b-6644-54ee-b586-5cda63e1c136.html

upload_2019-8-17_18-36-19.jpeg

St. Albert junior Allie Petry was an all-city selection and third-team coaches all-state pick as a sophomore.

Allie Petry has been playing on the top team of the Nebraska Elite club volleyball program in her age group since she was 12.

It was in the eighth grade when Iowa State started showing interest in Petry, now a junior at St. Albert.

On Thursday, that relationship resulted in a chance to continue her career at the Division I level.

During an unofficial visit to the school, ISU coach Christy Johnson made the 5-foot-7 Petry an offer, and later in the visit she accepted. She will join the team in 2021 as a walk-on, with the hopes of eventually earning a scholarship. .....

... Petry missed almost her entire freshman year with a broken vertebra in her back. She was in a brace for 3½ months.

“I wasn’t sure then if I wanted to continue playing volleyball,’’ she said. “But after I came back, I just knew I wanted to play Division I.’’ ...

... “This process has been super long,’’ she said. “It was a great feeling to get it over with and commit to the school that I wanted.’’

... more at the link.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I hope it works out for her she will need to improve a lot to be able to get PT at ISU.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron