401k rollover

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Annuity...yikes! At least nobody in your family will have to fight over an inheritance.

BTW, you can build your own annuity (using different funds w/varying risk levels & equity/bond balances) without paying massive fees and be able to maintain your rights to your money.
Return is 80% of the S&P with no risk to the principal or previous month's earnings. When the market crashes (err adjusts) zero will be my hero.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Return is 80% of the S&P with no risk to the principal or previous month's earnings. When the market crashes (err adjusts) zero will be my hero.

Can you explain this a little more or disclose who is offering this?

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Thanks for correcting me. I knew disclosure was better, I did not realize *everything* had to be disclosed now. But if you still have to ask for it (and most people still won't know to do so) that's not as upfront as an expense ratio. And while it's a good point about institutionally priced shares, when Vanguard is offering ETFs at 10 basis points or less it's hard to imagine getting a deal that good in any plan.

My plan offers several funds with expense ratios below 10 basis points. They also offer a brokerage window feature that allows you to purchase basically anything you want outside of the standard funds in the plan. As capcityguy mentioned, this is with a very large employer.

• Friendly
Reactions: capitalcityguy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Can you explain this a little more or disclose who is offering this?

As an insurance agent with an annuity certification I'm not able to sell you anything that puts your principal or gains at risk. If you're old like me and in Iowa or a nearby state I would be happy to talk with you further on this.

However, if you're young (under 40) we should talk about an IUL. I just set my 21 y/o son up with a policy. He'll pay $100.00/mo. until he's 65. From day one he'll have a $175,000.00 term policy. At 65 his cash value will equal the policy's face value. At that point he can continue to contribute and build wealth, take a lump sum or receive the interest as a pension type annuity. That best part is because it's post tax money there's absolutely no tax on any of it. (Basically a cross between a Roth and a Term life policy w/ the risk removed)

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Thanks for correcting me. I knew disclosure was better, I did not realize *everything* had to be disclosed now. But if you still have to ask for it (and most people still won't know to do so) that's not as upfront as an expense ratio. And while it's a good point about institutionally priced shares, when Vanguard is offering ETFs at 10 basis points or less it's hard to imagine getting a deal that good in any plan.

I don't know the exact requirements, but my assumption is that the information must be made available and in this day and age, that means it is on link on your 401k page for your personal account. I know that is where mine is, so it is always out there. I'm also assuming if someone opts out of receiving information electronically, then they probably get this mailed to them at certain required intervals (again....assuming here).

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
As an insurance agent with an annuity certification I'm not able to sell you anything that puts your principal or gains at risk. If you're old like me and in Iowa or a nearby state I would be happy to talk with you further on this.

However, if you're young (under 40) we should talk about an IUL. I just set my 21 y/o son up with a policy. He'll pay $100.00/mo. until he's 65. From day one he'll have a $175,000.00 term policy. At 65 his cash value will equal the policy's face value. At that point he can continue to contribute and build wealth, take a lump sum or receive the interest as a pension type annuity. That best part is because it's post tax money there's absolutely no tax on any of it. (Basically a cross between a Roth and a Term life policy w/ the risk removed)

So I'm guessing you don't have your securities license and aren't talking about variable annuities (since their account value is always subject to losses...even if there are protections in place)?

I can also make strong arguments for annuities for several scenarios....especially to those that are incredibly risk adverse (so the alternative is they'll just keep their money in a saving account)....and are older . There is a good chance they'll be better off in the long run given their strong aversion to risk taking.

That said, we all should understand that "when risk is removed", you are paying for that protection. As you know, the insurance (annuity) company is charging a premium one way or another to offer you that protection. In other words for the "peace of mind", a person is trading some opportunity away, due to the higher expenses and caps on performance you receive), as compared to if they fully participated in the market outside of an annuity. For some (especially the younger you are), this could be a trade-off of several, several thousands of dollars in returns.

Last edited:

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive

What would a retirement account come up with in the same scenario with an average gain of 7% over that time period? Much lower fees and all the money would be his. I have a 20 year $550,000 term life policy that costs under $300/year. I got the policy when I was 39. What type of expenses are involved with this annuity?

I've only heard insurance agents and financial advisers that get paid via commission say that annuities are good.

• Agree
Reactions: tim_redd

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Question for you. I believe we have a “Whole Life” policy on my 3 year old that builds cash value. The product you describe seems much more interesting to me. Is this something that can be done for a 3 year old? Or does it need to be an adult?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Question for you. I believe we have a “Whole Life” policy on my 3 year old that builds cash value. The product you describe seems much more interesting to me. Is this something that can be done for a 3 year old? Or does it need to be an adult?

I realize not directed at me, but my opinion is that the annuity company would likely not issue for a 3 year old . It is complicated but generally annuities are not designed and priced (from an actuarial standpoint) to be bought by anyone that age. Most people buying annuities are over 50.

General side comment. The purpose of life insurance is to replace a lost income stream a family depends on should the insured pass away. Unless you have a child in the unusual circumstance where they contribute to the family finances....e.g....child actor....I think most would suggest life insurance (or an annuity with a death benefit) is not necessary.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I realize not directed at me, but my opinion is that the annuity company would likely not issue for a 3 year old . It is complicated but generally annuities are not designed and priced (from an actuarial standpoint) to be bought by anyone that age. Most people buying annuities are over 50.

General side comment. The purpose of life insurance is to replace a lost income stream a family depends on should the insured pass away. Unless you have a child in the unusual circumstance that they contribute to the family finances....e.g....child actor....I think most would suggest life insurance (or an annuity with a death benefit) is not necessary.
Ya I was surprised you could get life insurance on a 3 year old and would be equally surprised if you could get an annuity for them

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

General side comment. The purpose of life insurance is to replace a lost income stream a family depends on should the insured pass away. Unless you have a child in the unusual circumstance where they contribute to the family finances....e.g....child actor....I think most would suggest life insurance (or an annuity with a death benefit) is not necessary.

https://money.usnews.com/money/blog...-life-insurance-policies-you-should-never-buy

2. Life insurance for children. In general, life insurance for kids is a huge waste of money. That’s because (thankfully) most children are born healthy and live a very long time. And since children don’t have any income, you don’t really have any reason to insure their lives, as cold as that may seem. Just because you don’t buy insurance doesn’t mean you don’t love your children. It means you are smart enough to put that money to better use–like saving for a college education.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

Do you have a reason behind this?

I can’t think of a scenario where life insurance on a child is necessary.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Can't do an IUL (Indexed Universal Life) Policy until they're 18.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

If your son invested $100/mo into a mutual fund that made 8% from 21 to 65 he would have $462,000 in that account at age 65.

I’m not understanding the benefit of this product to your son.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If your son invested $100/mo into a mutual fund that made 8% from 21 to 65 he would have $462,000 in that account at age 65.

I’m not understanding the benefit of this product to your son.

returns are tax free and he'll have a $175,000.00 term policy to protect his family over the next 44 years. Plus the principal and gains are never at risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunnerclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron