Verizon vs US Cellular

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Only cost is a few minutes of your time. May save you a few hundred dollars a year.
I stopped by last night and he quoted me $170 +tax/fees and phone costs. Then I told him I have an LLC tax ID and he said it was $130 +the same. Thanks for the tip!

Apparently the prices you see with them are quoted if you have a minimum of 4 lines. So $45/line if you have 4, but if not you basically divide the cost of four into the 3 I need, or something similar anyway. With the small business discount they charge me $40 for one phone, and each additional that I add.

Thanks for the tip! US Cellular's small business discount was about $30, but 3 lines were still going to be $160.

• Winner
Reactions: BCClone

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I stopped by last night and he quoted me $170 +tax/fees and phone costs. Then I told him I have an LLC tax ID and he said it was $130 +the same. Thanks for the tip!

Apparently the prices you see with them are quoted if you have a minimum of 4 lines. So $45/line if you have 4, but if not you basically divide the cost of four into the 3 I need, or something similar anyway. With the small business discount they charge me $40 for one phone, and each additional that I add.

Thanks for the tip! US Cellular's small business discount was about $30, but 3 lines were still going to be $160.
So I went with my wife yesterday to pick phones and now they are telling me it's $45/line and I need four or more lines set up. This is getting old...

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
my only issue with US Cellular is that at least on my current plan (which is a pretty good deal for two phones at 6GB each), roaming data is limited to 500MB at full 4GLTE speed during each billing cycle.

after you hit the 500MB, you switch down to 2G speed or something like that. it's possible to load most websites slowly, but not enough to do anything relating to video. they do offer a one-time bump in roaming data for like $10 that month, if you run over and need the speed. if you do much traveling, especially in the Midwest where you could be on the edge, I would check into the data coverage map before any commitment...or see if any of their plans don't have a roaming cap. Chicago is roaming, for example, since US Cellular sold all their towers there a few years back.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Can anyone speak to their personal experience with US Cellular’s unlimited data plans? Besides the speed throttling after 22 GB data usage per month, their promo material indicates typical speeds at 3 Mbps. Is that what people are really getting? Cause that seems terribly slow. (Also video streaming at “DVD quality” 480p - seriously??)

They used to offer a faster speed option for $10 more per month, but I can’t find that anymore and they seem to have recently modified their plan offerings and pricing.

I’m a longtime customer but currently on one of their legacy shared data plans. I get data speeds more like 8.5 Mbps. Needing to add another line but have previously resisted making the jump to unlimited due to price (which seems much more reasonable now) and speed (which still seems ridiculous).

Appreciate any real-world testimonials out there.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I put my two daughters on a prepaid plan with Total wireless with our in-laws. Unlimited calls and text and 25 GB shared data. Basically $25 per line. Works great.

My wife and son and I have an old legacy plan where we share 3 GB of data and unlimited text and calls with US. Cellular. Works out to about $32 per line. Works for us as my wife and and I don’t use much data.

Those unlimited plans with the major carriers seem ridiculously expensive.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I put my two daughters on a prepaid plan with Total wireless with our in-laws. Unlimited calls and text and 25 GB shared data. Basically $25 per line. Works great.

My wife and son and I have an old legacy plan where we share 3 GB of data and unlimited text and calls with US. Cellular. Works out to about $32 per line. Works for us as my wife and and I don’t use much data.

Those unlimited plans with the major carriers seem ridiculously expensive.
No doubt on the expensive part. 5 phones and 1 IPad on a Verizon unlimited plan cost us $197 per month and that is with a military discount applied. The funny part is 2 of the 5 phones are flip phones (silly parents).