Hakeem Butler not playing

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The cardinals lost a starting corner last night with a broken leg. There other starter is out 6 weeks on a PED suspension. May have to carry some extra corners which could hurt the # of WR's they can carry.
Can't the player with the broken leg be placed on IR and return with a return designation? I believe teams have two return designations. IR players do not count against the 53 man roster. Also, I thought suspended players did not count against the 53 man roster.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Can't the player with the broken leg be placed on IR and return with a return designation? I believe teams have two return designations. IR players do not count against the 53 man roster. Also, I thought suspended players did not count against the 53 man roster.

Correct on the IR and I’m not sure if the suspended players count or not, but at the least they would be less confident in the position. Could lead to the thought of having 2 players to take the place of 1. Probably better for Butler that the injury was significant enough to likely designate the corner to the IR (felt wrong typing that but it’s the nature of the game).

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Did you actually read the box scores?
He had one catch on one target in game one
He had no catch on one target in game two

Nothing impressive but he did play in both games and had one catch.
Don't pee on his pity party

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Correct on the IR and I’m not sure if the suspended players count or not, but at the least they would be less confident in the position. Could lead to the thought of having 2 players to take the place of 1. Probably better for Butler that the injury was significant enough to likely designate the corner to the IR (felt wrong typing that but it’s the nature of the game).

Guys who have a suspension to serve will be moved to the Reserve/Suspended list during final cutdowns and won't count against the 53 player roster.

The only catch with the IR - Designated for Return rule is that the player has to spend at least eight weeks on IR in order to be eligible to return to the active roster.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
So nobody taken before him in the first three rounds is struggling? For all the work that teams put into it the draft is ultimately guesswork. If any team had cracked the code by now we'd know.[/QUOTE]
Patriots say hi

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
Just catch the damn balls thrown your way...
He did drop a very short pass over the middle his first game which am sure "validated" the stories out of ISU. But he did make a spectacular one handed TD catch in practice that got shown many times here on TV newscasts

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
As a Cards fan I am paying pretty close attention to this. I also live in Phoenix so I hear/read more than most on these boards. He has played in both games. Game 1 he had 2 targets, 1 catch for 6 yards. I went to last nights game and he didnt get in until late in the 3rd. He had 1 target, but it wasnt a ball he could make a play on. Bracketed by the corner and the safety, QB under threw it and it was broken up before he had a chance. There were a few plays where he had a step on his man, but the QB didnt look his way. He seems to be slow out of his breaks, and isnt getting open until later in the play. With the QBs not having much time they were checking down pretty quickly on most plays. Although he isnt a guaranteed roster guy most out here think he will make the 53 man roster. He is on the fringe, but right now he is on the right side of it. In other Cards notes they may want to give Hundley a shot with the 1s, he looked much better than Kyler last night.
Woof, if Hundley is outplaying Murray, that is not good at all for Murray.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I can’t believe someone that sheds Oklahoma defensive backs like children doesn’t have a place in the NFL.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You have no idea how bad Brett Hundley is.

He's at least had lots of game experience and has the timing.

Murray's still got habits from OU. That plus a bad line.

Not sure what he'll end up doing but there's not much weight to even a full first season for a player.

Vince Young was the Offensive ROY and it was pretty much downhill after that.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
The Cardinals wide receiver position is one of the most competitive on one of the worst NFL rosters. The Cardinals drafted three wide receivers this year on top of drafting Christian Kirk last year and the ageless wonder Larry Fitzgerald.

Butler has an uphill battle, but to say he isn't NFL caliber after half a preseason? Nah.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I watched the Cards the other night and it was BAD. I'm not sure Kliff's college offense is going to work in the NFL.

• Agree
Reactions: cycophagus

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I watched the Cards the other night and it was BAD. I'm not sure Kliff's college offense is going to work in the NFL.

I'm not sure if a coach that couldn't win at a place that at least was in bowls often should be an NFL coach in general.

junckerl

Feb 18, 2009
Saint Anthony
I am not a Cardinals fan so I wasn't watching the game very close but I thought in the second half I saw him coming off the field after a special teams play holding his hand a little awkwardly. Could have been wrong like I said not really paying to close of attention just watching for his number while doing other stuff.

Terrible news, but upon further review I am not crazy. "TEMPE, Ariz. -- Arizona Cardinals rookie wide receiver Hakeem Butler will miss the rest of the preseason with a fractured hand, coach Kliff Kingsbury said Tuesday."

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Terrible news, but upon further review I am not crazy. "TEMPE, Ariz. -- Arizona Cardinals rookie wide receiver Hakeem Butler will miss the rest of the preseason with a fractured hand, coach Kliff Kingsbury said Tuesday."

May work to his favor if the Cards hide him on the PUP list and see how their other WR fare out or stay healthy.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

You can choose to believe it or not, but the line out there now is that Kingsbury is intentionally keeping it very vanilla in the preseason games and that's why the offense has been bad. Personally, I'll believe it when I see it. All I know is that right now they look rough.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
May work to his favor if the Cards hide him on the PUP list and see how their other WR fare out or stay healthy.
I thought you had to have been injured prior to training camp and not played at all in the preseason to be eligible for the PUP list.

EDIT: Whoops, that's the preseason PUP list. So confusing...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron