Iowa State Fair 2019

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
Hello!

Sorry if this has been covered ad nauseum

~ I've mostly lived in Iowa my whole life (even born in D.M.) I have NEVER been to the Iowa State Fair

We're going Sat Aug 17.

I perused the website, and trying to cram many things in one day as we can

Any advice, recommendations, parking?, shuttles??

We're open w/ livestock viewing, the midway, exhibits, others stuff. I'm fairly clueless as to any 'must-see'
things

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Clone83

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I haven’t been there for 25 years, so can only be of limited help, but we used to show cattle when I was a kid and was there quite a bit.

The Des Moines Register used to print the schedule in a special section, which was helpful. I see nowadays they have an app, which you can download. I did. Even though it is titled Fair Food, it has the daily schedule.

Here is the link:
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...p-and-event-calendar-how-download/1956209001/

I think it is at that link too, but here is a link to their map, which I am going to refer to some below:
https://www.iowastatefair.org/upl/downloads/library/fairgrounds-map.pdf

In general terms, the fair kind of crescendos and peaks the day you will be there. Sunday, the last day, is kind of anticlimactic, everyone leaving or getting set to. I think the grounds are more than 200 acres, so you won’t be able to see everything, but you can see a lot. Take time to relax and don’t worry about taking it all in. Wear comfortable shoes. If interested you can always come back next year, or the year after ... Maybe there will even be far more people there tomorrow than you would prefer. On the other hand, the more ground you cover, the more you will see, and you sound willing. If you are there several days for quite a few years, in contrast, everything can seem the same, except for the one or two things that might have changed from the prior year. As I look at the map, most things I recognize still, but obviously quite a few things are new since I was last there.

What NWICY said above. Those buildings have been there forever and I think are on the National Register of Historic Places. Even if you aren’t interested in watching the cattle show, you might go into the pavilion just to check it out. There are little shops that ring the outside of the pavilion, like making taffy. I don’t know if they will be in the horse barn, as I recall once when I was there, but it looks like the Budweiser Clydesdales will be there tomorrow. As I recall from the schedule for tomorrow, it looks like they are also showing llamas. The Pork Producers feed a lot more people now, and that is more the kind of food I would be interested in. The sheep producers used to have a stand on the east side of the sheep barn, with burgers and kebobs that were pretty good. They used to serve malts in the Milking Parlor on the north side of the cattle barn. Only visiting there from Ames did I ever partake much in the various kinds of food there, at all the different stands. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it can be too much, and expensive.

Note that the Agriculture Building, where the Butter Cow is, also has various produce grown in Iowa. The Cultural Center has art work, carvings and such. Pioneer Hall is about the oldest building and worth stopping by, and I think near where you get on the sky glider. The Varied Industries Building is enclosed and air conditioned now I think, perhaps not too big a consideration tomorrow, but I bet it could be pretty packed on a hot and/or high attendance day.

Some little sidelines that might interest you could include the DNR and their aquariums, the law hall of fame, pioneer village, the state fair museum, the giant slide, free entertainment stages, and other things too numerous to list. There should be some large farm equipment somewhere there, too.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
At the Register app, I saw this before:

Budweiser Clydesdales Parade
WHEN
Saturday, August 17, 2019, 5:00 p.m.
WHERE
North of Gate 11

but I didn’t see this:

Horse Show: Clydesdale, Percheron, Draft Pony
WHEN
Saturday, August 17, 2019, 8:00 a.m.
WHERE
Richard O. Jacobson Exhibition Center

I’m guessing the Budweiser Clydesdales are in the house.

upload_2019-8-16_23-57-11.jpeg

Iowa State College's famous horses, the largest and the smallest. From photocard entitled "Dignity and Impertenance" in ISU Archives collection in the Parks Library, 1915.

https://www.amespubliclibrary.org/archive/1915/3134

Reactions: NWICY

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Go to the cattlmans beef quarters and get yourself a hamburger or a hot beef sundae.

Reactions: 2020cy

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
I haven’t been there for 25 years, so can only be of limited help, but we used to show cattle when I was a kid and was there quite a bit.

The Des Moines Register used to print the schedule in a special section, which was helpful. I see nowadays they have an app, which you can download. I did. Even though it is titled Fair Food, it has the daily schedule.

Here is the link:
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...p-and-event-calendar-how-download/1956209001/

I think it is at that link too, but here is a link to their map, which I am going to refer to some below:
https://www.iowastatefair.org/upl/downloads/library/fairgrounds-map.pdf

In general terms, the fair kind of crescendos and peaks the day you will be there. Sunday, the last day, is kind of anticlimactic, everyone leaving or getting set to. I think the grounds are more than 200 acres, so you won’t be able to see everything, but you can see a lot. Take time to relax and don’t worry about taking it all in. Wear comfortable shoes. If interested you can always come back next year, or the year after ... Maybe there will even be far more people there tomorrow than you would prefer. On the other hand, the more ground you cover, the more you will see, and you sound willing. If you are there several days for quite a few years, in contrast, everything can seem the same, except for the one or two things that might have changed from the prior year. As I look at the map, most things I recognize still, but obviously quite a few things are new since I was last there.

What NWICY said above. Those buildings have been there forever and I think are on the National Register of Historic Places. Even if you aren’t interested in watching the cattle show, you might go into the pavilion just to check it out. There are little shops that ring the outside of the pavilion, like making taffy. I don’t know if they will be in the horse barn, as I recall once when I was there, but it looks like the Budweiser Clydesdales will be there tomorrow. As I recall from the schedule for tomorrow, it looks like they are also showing llamas. The Pork Producers feed a lot more people now, and that is more the kind of food I would be interested in. The sheep producers used to have a stand on the east side of the sheep barn, with burgers and kebobs that were pretty good. They used to serve malts in the Milking Parlor on the north side of the cattle barn. Only visiting there from Ames did I ever partake much in the various kinds of food there, at all the different stands. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it can be too much, and expensive.

Note that the Agriculture Building, where the Butter Cow is, also has various produce grown in Iowa. The Cultural Center has art work, carvings and such. Pioneer Hall is about the oldest building and worth stopping by, and I think near where you get on the sky glider. The Varied Industries Building is enclosed and air conditioned now I think, perhaps not too big a consideration tomorrow, but I bet it could be pretty packed on a hot and/or high attendance day.

Some little sidelines that might interest you could include the DNR and their aquariums, the law hall of fame, pioneer village, the state fair museum, the giant slide, free entertainment stages, and other things too numerous to list. There should be some large farm equipment somewhere there, too.
____

thanks a bunch !

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
State Fair's great if you haven't been in a long time.

After a day of it though the best thing I got was immediate motivation to go on a long run and keep a generally healthy diet.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
There are so many tasty food items there I have a hard time getting my fill in just 1 day anymore. Went last Saturday and had the new G Migs wrap that won best new food and it was delicious. The Rib Shack is good too and make sure you get one of the fresh squeezed lemonades from a stand. Bauders ice cream is great, love their milk shakes. Going again Sunday for the Hootie concert and a Turkey leg, fried cheese curds and craft beer tent are on my list.

Growing up I used to stay on the fairgrounds for a whole week because we showed cattle and were there Monday through the last Sunday because of when the 4-H and open shows were. I miss being able to check out all the various free stages at night and being able to try out something different for nearly every meal. It was like $5 a night to stay at the Youth Inn which beat having to drive an hour 1 way from home.

• Informative

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Below is a link to the special insert on the fair published each year by the Register, with more links there, that I recalled from long ago. This is in addition to the app, which is new (or newer). It is downloadable as a pdf and looks like it was included in the print version on Sunday, August 5th.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ide-maps-events-schedule-new-foods/924832002/

Tomorrow, Sunday, is the last day of the fair. According to the Daily Schedule in that pdf, it appears the price of admission is discounted a bit. The fair will be winding down. But judging by last year’s figures, it appears attendance will still be close to whatever it is today.

Edit, 8-18-19: My bad. That guide is to 2018 or last year's fair.

It appears the Register stopped doing these in 2019, since a quick search doesn't show one for this year. You can find information for each day, or a daily schedule for 2019, by entering the date, only, and searching on it at this web page:
http://data.desmoinesregister.com/iowa-statefair/statefair_events.php

The reason I added this post originally is in case someone searches on State Fair events or a daily schedule in the future. I am not aware of any more detailed than this, the special insert the Register published in the past, or, that is still available in a different format for 2019 via the Register web page I linked in this post. Maybe they they will publish a special insert in 2020 or future years, and make it available online as a pdf download. But again, I couldn't find one with a quick search for 2019.

Note, you still have the Register's downloadable app, linked in my first post above.

Also note, there is a similar search feature as the one linked in this post, at the official Iowa State Fair website: https://www.iowastatefair.org/entertainment/fair-schedule/

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: aauummm

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Chicken Street Tacos are good but pricey, Smoke Briskey Mac and Cheese is overrated, Rib on a stick at the bud tent is good...Would suggest hitting up the craft brew tent, check out some of the free shows, avoid midway and watch out for the god damn scooters.

• Informative
Reactions: Clone83 and aauummm

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Pirtley's ice cold pickles and pickled eggs at the General Store. Never knew a pickle could be so refreshing and the pickled eggs are legit.

Help Support Us

Become a patron