Summer Concert Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
2 of my favorite live shows (and I have seen a lot) have been there. And it is just a killer setup.
My lady and I stumbled upon a concert there the first month I moved up here. We had dinner in the "clown lounge" lol and heard commotion up stairs, by the time were finished the band is all set up and doing some tests. $5 show and it sounded great (I'd never heard of the local band) but when we left I told her I needed to go back and see another show there. Seen 3 shows there since, although none bigger names. Still a great venue for sure, thats why I'm pumped for tonight lol

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Saw the Violent Femmes this summer. I had never seen them before, they are really talented it was really good. Didn’t stick around for Ben Folds, because frankly after Add It Up everything else would be downhill from there.

Also saw Dido who hasn’t toured in 15 years. She puts on a really good live show. Not what you’d imagine from her studio recordings but her different musical influences like dance, rap, etc really come through live.

I never imagined going to see either but they were good times.

We're doing Femmes/Ben Folds next week, and I'm super-excited. Huge long-time Femmes fan. I'm glad to hear they're still good live!

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
We're doing Femmes/Ben Folds next week, and I'm super-excited. Huge long-time Femmes fan. I'm glad to hear they're still good live!

I wish I would have seen the Femmes earlier, I loved it. It’s funny when they came out I thought “this is them?” because the singer seemed so little and I guess I had a different vision in my head. Then the moment he sings the first word it’s unmistakably them.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
My lady and I stumbled upon a concert there the first month I moved up here. We had dinner in the "clown lounge" lol and heard commotion up stairs, by the time were finished the band is all set up and doing some tests. $5 show and it sounded great (I'd never heard of the local band) but when we left I told her I needed to go back and see another show there. Seen 3 shows there since, although none bigger names. Still a great venue for sure, thats why I'm pumped for tonight lol
How was it?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
How was it?
Loved it. It was a pretty laid back show as far as the amount of people there. They sounded great, and his voice was exactly what I was expecting.

Played a lot of old and new stuff, and they were jamming through most of it. Midway through he did a couple solo songs where I thought he sounded great (turf clubs acoustics are top notch).

His mom was there so he seemed to be excited/more up beat.

Encored Humbug Mountain Song and When U Love Somebody and that was a lot of fun.

All around a very good show. Well worth it

Last edited:

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I saw Slipknot last week and hadn't seen them in a long time. Kinda forgot how rowdy their shows can get so I had to pretend I was young again and kick some ass in the pit...

I have no idea why Volbeat is on the tour. Good lord they are awful. Gojira is decent and Behemoth is excellent. Overall it's a good tour.

Here's a question I have been wondering about... Are any Slipknot members ISU fans?

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 0u812 and CloneFan4

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I feel like the Ben's were my sophomore year of high school go to

• Friendly

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Bring a rain jacket. Sounds like it's going to rain.

I'm not going but I checked their website just out of curiosity. All I could find was that in the case of severe weather an alternate location will be announced. I take that to mean that the show will go on right there short of a thunderstorm or worse. Anyone else find out more?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Bring a rain jacket. Sounds like it's going to rain.

I'm worried about that - if I miss Femmes again, I'm going to be enraged!

I'm not going but I checked their website just out of curiosity. All I could find was that in the case of severe weather an alternate location will be announced. I take that to mean that the show will go on right there short of a thunderstorm or worse. Anyone else find out more?

I wonder if maybe Seven Flags or similar? Nothing communicated from venue at all at this time about alternate location. Here's the "important info" email I got this morning:

Hello! We look forward to having you The Lauridsen Amphitheater in Water Works Park! Here are some helpful details:

Ben Folds & Violent Femmes with Savannah Conley

Thursday, August 15

Doors: 5:00 pm, Show: 6:00 p.m.

GETTING HERE

The Lauridsen Amphitheater at Water Works Park is located 2201 George Flagg Pkwy, Des Moines, IA 50321.

ySfMocy7dvZLPQ8Wy579CY1U89T9uys8JVuwXfgmHIjkCzfFkSr9XC3mDU2-0_2oZH9xORldDs5RqGQgH-CDIsoeWytjxdhBKX64NqU=s0-d-e1-ft

By Car

Enter from Fleur Drive, turn west into the Main Entrance of Water Works Park to enter Parking Lot A. Parking Lot B at 30th and George Flagg Pkwy will be used as well. Head turn West off of Fleur Drive and George Flagg Parkway for Lot B. Look for directional signage. Parking is $10, cash only.

By Bike

Avoid the traffic and ride your bike! Free, secured bike parking will be located just west of the amphitheater (see bike on map).

Uber/Lyft/Car Drop Off & Pick Up

Located just south of the amphitheater (see car icon on map). Use this address with your service, 2201 George Flagg Pkwy, Des Moines, IA 50321.

AMPHITHEATER ENTRANCE

After parking, walk to the Event Entrance which is in the middle of the lawn. All ticket holders (GA Lawn, Terrace Seated, VIP Pit) may use this main event entrance (purple star on map). VIP pass holders may also use the VIP Entrance, located on the southwest corner of the amphitheater next to the ADA Valet.

CASH ONLY

Please note, all bars will be cash only. ATMS will be located onsite.

FOOD

Enjoy food from our onsite food vendors. Super Heady Grilled Cheese, Karam's Mediteranean Grill, Sabores de Mexico and Family Grind Popcorn & Treats will be on location for Ben Folds/Violent Femmes.

DRINK

Beer: Miller Lite, Coors Banquet, Blue Moon, Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy, White Claw Black Cherry, Founders All Day IPA. $7 + Confluence Water Works Witbier $8

Wine: Woodbridge Red Blend, Woodbridge Pinot Grigio. $7

Liquor and Mixed Drinks: A variety of premium vodkas, Southern Comfort, Fireball, Jim Beam, Captain Morgan. $7

Non-Alcoholic: Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Mix Twist, Soda Water, Ginger Ale, Lemonade, Cranberry Juice, Bottled Water. $3 (Note: There will be a free refilling water station on site).

TERRACE SEATED

If you purchased your ticket(s) in the Terrace Seated area, they are specific and enumerated near the VIP pit area. Have your ticket (paper or on mobile device) to enter the area and find your seat.

VIP PIT

If you purchased a VIP Pit pass, remember you also have access to the VIP bar and bathrooms located by the VIP Pit. You may enter the event from the Main Entrance or VIP Entrance, which is located on the southwest corner by the ADA Valet. Please note: the VIP Pit is standing room only. Lawn chairs and blankets are only allowed in the GA Lawn section.

RULES

Chairs and blankets are allowed in the grass area. Please feel free to bring an empty refillable water bottle for refilling at our free water station courtesy of Des Moines Water Works.

Not Allowed Items: outside food or drink (empty refillable water bottles are allowed), wagons, professional photography equipment or SLRs, pets, weapons of any kind. All entrants are subject to search.

EXITING AFTER THE EVENT

Please be patient and allow for some time to exit the parking lot at the end of the night. The Des Moines Police Department will be directing traffic and monitoring intersections.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Soooo, First Fleet updated the info. The show is rain-or-shine, with only a potential change of venue if it's a safety concern.

Reactions: Entropy

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Foreigner was an awesome show last night at the State Fair. Kind of stuck out like a sore thumb there being 24 but some of the old people were even more rowdy than our group. It really was a fun experience.

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
The Ben Folds/Violent Femmes show was pretty good. Getting there was kind of a mess on Fleur. As far as the venue goes, parking was fine. There was a giant line for ticketing. Could use a couple more ticket scanner and bracelet people. Beer tents were quick. Bathroom lines were reasonable. The food vendor situation seemed to be a mess. Super long lines all night and I heard they ran out of a lot of stuff. Good time in general though.

Going to see Joseph and Deep Sea Diver on Monday night at the Englert in Iowa City. Seen Deep Sea Diver multiple times and they are always great. Unfortunately they are only the opener.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Angie and Entropy

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
This past Wednesday, we went to one of the free shows at the State Fair. "Chicks with Hits" was the name of the tour and it featured three 90s country hit-makers (combined for 29 top 10 Billboard Country Singles appearances and 11 more which made the top 20): Pam Tillis, Terri Clark, and Suzy Bogguss. I wasn't sure who was headlining and how long each would perform. But when we got there, we saw three chairs set on stage, front and center, with some acoustic guitars and other related instruments nearby. Ends up that all three came on stage together and performed essentially as a trio. They would take turns performing their songs while the other two would harmonize and play various instruments. There was no backup band or any other accompaniment. Pretty cool. For the encore, they did a giant medly of their remaining hits that weren't covered in the first 70 minutes. Good stuff. :)

Reactions: bawbie

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Went to Hootie last night and watched 2 idiots in our section just a few seats down from us get arrested about 3 songs into their set. Some girl 2 rows in front of them stood up and started dancing, some guy behind them yelled at her to sit down then proceeded to throw a drink at her when she didn't which she turned around and threw hers at him and next thing you know 2 dudes are trading punches and state troopers came rushing up.

Don't get why people get mad like that, you have to expect that people are going to stand up at a concert. Turned into a pretty expensive night for them for getting to listen to Barenaked Ladies then not even 3 songs of Hootie before leaving in cuffs. Concert itself was good. Refreshing to hear good 90's music that actually has a good tune and can sing to for a change compared to the stuff they call pop music these days.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
The Ben Folds/Violent Femmes show was pretty good. Getting there was kind of a mess on Fleur. As far as the venue goes, parking was fine. There was a giant line for ticketing. Could use a couple more ticket scanner and bravely people. Beer tents were quick. Bathroom lines were reasonable. The food vendor situation seemed to be a mess. Super long lines all night and I heard they ran out of a lot of stuff. Good time in general though.
I heard a rumor that some of the food vendors dropped out last minute. The quick beer lines meant it was easy to get a beer to drink while waiting in line for food.

It was a good show and I would love to see the Violent Femmes again. They are as fun as Southern Culture on the Skids.

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
Literally an uneventful summer for me so far. I had Ozzy tix but that got delayed a year. Finally this Thursday it's Iron Maiden in Tinley Park. I hope they get back to the studio and make another album after this so I can say I saw my favorite band in 5 different decades.