Hakeem Butler not playing

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Clearly Kliff is still mad for Butler averaging 37 yards/catch on him last year.

The replay of the TT/ISU game was on ESPN+ on Tuesday, that game shows exactly Butler's problems. He made a great leaping catch and run for a TD to salt the game away, but earlier he dropped a couple thrown right to him.
Thinking about it, he catches the high passes that he has to jump and get his hands up high, but then struggles with the ball that his hands are out in front of him like a slant or back shoulder fade pass.

abd4cy

Jul 16, 2010
Phoenix
As a Cards fan I am paying pretty close attention to this. I also live in Phoenix so I hear/read more than most on these boards. He has played in both games. Game 1 he had 2 targets, 1 catch for 6 yards. I went to last nights game and he didnt get in until late in the 3rd. He had 1 target, but it wasnt a ball he could make a play on. Bracketed by the corner and the safety, QB under threw it and it was broken up before he had a chance. There were a few plays where he had a step on his man, but the QB didnt look his way. He seems to be slow out of his breaks, and isnt getting open until later in the play. With the QBs not having much time they were checking down pretty quickly on most plays. Although he isnt a guaranteed roster guy most out here think he will make the 53 man roster. He is on the fringe, but right now he is on the right side of it. In other Cards notes they may want to give Hundley a shot with the 1s, he looked much better than Kyler last night.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Need to remember he's 23 in a position that has a short expiry date. Make the money while it's there.

I'm not sure another year of college would have helped his footwork or hands much if it hasn't improved with NFL coaching.

May just need a niche and it may take time but it's not college where his best chance was a jump ball.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
As a Cards fan I am paying pretty close attention to this. I also live in Phoenix so I hear/read more than most on these boards. He has played in both games. Game 1 he had 2 targets, 1 catch for 6 yards. I went to last nights game and he didnt get in until late in the 3rd. He had 1 target, but it wasnt a ball he could make a play on. Bracketed by the corner and the safety, QB under threw it and it was broken up before he had a chance. There were a few plays where he had a step on his man, but the QB didnt look his way. He seems to be slow out of his breaks, and isnt getting open until later in the play. With the QBs not having much time they were checking down pretty quickly on most plays. Although he isnt a guaranteed roster guy most out here think he will make the 53 man roster. He is on the fringe, but right now he is on the right side of it. In other Cards notes they may want to give Hundley a shot with the 1s, he looked much better than Kyler last night.

Was Hundley playing with starters or backups? It's hard to believe that they'd go into the season with anyone but Murray under center.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Need to remember he's 23 in a position that has a short expiry date. Make the money while it's there.

I'm not sure another year of college would have helped his footwork or hands much if it hasn't improved with NFL coaching.

May just need a niche and it may take time but it's not college where his best chance was a jump ball.

He has a chance to show he can do the work and improve every day. Show them you can be a good Pro. If he does that, and I think he can, he will earn his spot on the roster and the hard work will pay off.

abd4cy

Jul 16, 2010
Phoenix
Was Hundley playing with starters or backups? It's hard to believe that they'd go into the season with anyone but Murray under center.
He was playing with the back ups. Also against back ups so it's not a true comparison. He has looked better so far. In my opinion it doesnt hurt to throw him out there for a couple of series and see what happens with the 1s.

junckerl

Feb 18, 2009
Saint Anthony
I am not a Cardinals fan so I wasn't watching the game very close but I thought in the second half I saw him coming off the field after a special teams play holding his hand a little awkwardly. Could have been wrong like I said not really paying to close of attention just watching for his number while doing other stuff.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
He was playing with the back ups. Also against back ups so it's not a true comparison. He has looked better so far. In my opinion it doesnt hurt to throw him out there for a couple of series and see what happens with the 1s.

Yikes. Gonna be a bad look for the Cards if their #1 draft pick can't beat out Brett Hundley for the job.

• Agree
Reactions: awd4cy

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
We’re heading up to MN next Saturday. Hopefully he gets some run against the Vikings.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
We’re heading up to MN next Saturday. Hopefully he gets some run against the Vikings.

I'm not sure how Kingsbury will handle it but typically Week Three is when the starters get an extended look and play the first half and sometimes the first couple possessions of the second half.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
The replay of the TT/ISU game was on ESPN+ on Tuesday, that game shows exactly Butler's problems. He made a great leaping catch and run for a TD to salt the game away, but earlier he dropped a couple thrown right to him.
Thinking about it, he catches the high passes that he has to jump and get his hands up high, but then struggles with the ball that his hands are out in front of him like a slant or back shoulder fade pass.

He is awkward on the short passes. To my amateur eye, it looks like he doesn't get his hands up until the last second. That's a technique that works on deep passes, so the DB doesn't know the ball is coming, but not advised for shorter routes. It's almost as if he's clapping and hoping the ball happens to be between his hands at the same time. Watch the OSU and KU highlights from last season. He makes a couple catches where I have no clue how he snatched them. Low and on his hip, but those same balls, he also drops often. That one against Iowa in OT 2 years ago was brutal.

• Winner
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

Yep, if the ball is in his numbers it seems like he butterfingered it.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
He’s gonna always be able to make the plays a lot of WR can’t that’s gonna keep you on the good side of coaching decisions. However, if you aren’t consistently catching balls you should, that’s gonna be really detrimental to a team that is just not very good. They need consistent pass catchers to keep their offense running. I hope he gets things figured out if that is his problem.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
The cardinals lost a starting corner last night with a broken leg. There other starter is out 6 weeks on a PED suspension. May have to carry some extra corners which could hurt the # of WR's they can carry.