401k rollover

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Switching jobs after a rather long time at one place, and I need to move my 401k. For those of you that have done this, what did you do? Move it into the new employers account or move it to something like etrade, ameritrade, vanguard?

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
If you roll into an individual account you already have you don’t have to worry if the new plan has bad investments. You can just make bad investments on your own. Plus if you switch jobs again, you don’t have to think about rolling it over again.

• Funny
Reactions: h-man64

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'd move it to an IRA, where you'll have a lot more choices and pay fewer fees. I kept a Hy-Vee 401k for a long time because they had Hy-Vee as an investment option but after a few years decided to just move it to an IRA and have been happy with the results/options. Then a few years later I had a Wells Fargo 401k that I also moved to an IRA.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
I rolled mine to the new employer's 401K. If they match contributions it is hard to pass up IMO

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I don’t think it matters a lot other than pay attention to investment options and fees with your new employer. A place like Vanguard or Schwab will give you more choices.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I always recommend moving a 401k into an IRA or Roth IRA. From my experience, a 401k has very limited options for investments and usually costs more than options in an IRA. For me, the vast options that are available in an IRA make it worth it to me.

To move your 401k, all you need to do is call the firm that currently administers the 401k and they should help you move it to where you want it. I am in the process of moving my 401k assets from Empower to my Fidelity IRA and Roth IRA. I called Empower to get the process started.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I rolled mine to the new employer's 401K. If they match contributions it is hard to pass up IMO
I highly doubt your new employee matched anything you rolled over.

Probably the biggest thing to look at is the administration fees when deciding where to put the roll over $. Some 401k plans have higher fees that will hurt you long term compared to other options.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Don't move it to the new employer's plan. Move it to an IRA(s). Yes, you will have another account to manage but you will suffer no tax consequences (unless you convert part/all of it) and you will have complete control over the money forever, whereas if you move it to your new employer's 401(k) it's locked in there until you change employers again.

Most employer plans have hidden administrative fees. I doubt any can match the low costs of Vanguard index funds or ETFs, and most reputable firms have similarly-priced offerings.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I changed jobs 3 years ago. My 401K is still with my former employer. I pretty much begged my new boss/company owner to get some sort of a savings plan set up as they had nothing. He started paying me extra when I started. Went a full year without investing anything into a retirement plan. He will match 2% on a simple IRA. I wanted to be a little diverse and not have everything under one umbrella.