SPECIAL: On Allen Lazard's fight to make the Green Bay Packers

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think they'll take 3 with all of the run sets they'll be doing this year.. Jimmy Graham, Robert Tonyan and Mercedes Lewis.

I would've bet any dollar amount that Marcedus Lewis retired years ago. Guy has been in the league forever. Lazard was a standout on ST in the first preseason game. You'd think with their use of TEs, both in terms of quantity and style he would have some value as either the big guy they play in the slot or tighter in more of an H back role like they will with Graham. Agree that along with Sternberger that they hedge and keep all 4. Two old guys and two unproven guys.

Lazard is a smart guy and a hard worker. He could really be a guy that carves out some value with a team like GB if he can play ST like that and provide depth in multiple roles.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Lazard had a nice game last night in preseason game 2. He had 3 catches for 63 yards. This came after he got recognized by the coach as well for his "effort and energy"...

I think he is moving up the list. If GB keeps 6 WRs, he could make it. But it will be close. The top 4 I think have separated a bit (imo). But I think Lazard is putting himself in the conversation for one of the last two spots.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Per The Athletic after last nights Packers game- Projecting the 53 man roster

"Wide receiver (7): Davante Adams, Geronimo Allison, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jake Kumerow, Equanimeous St. Brown, Darrius Shepherd, Allen Lazard

The last two spots in this group, assuming the Packers keep seven wide receivers, will be the hardest for Gutekunst to decide on come cutdown day."

"For now, Shepherd and Lazard earn the last two spots in a crowded receivers room. If the Packers keep only six, I’d take Shepherd over Lazard and Davis right now because of his return abilities"

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Right now, I'd say Adams, Valdez-Scantling, St. Brown, and Allison are locks. Kumerow is darn close to locking in a spot. I'd say it's between Lazard and Darius Shepherd for the 6th spot, although Shepherd probably has a bit of an edge because of his return ability. Packers don't really have someone dedicated to that job, and Shepherd seems like a natural.

If Lazard doesn't make it, I'd bet anything they put him on the practice squad.

EDIT: Sorry, this is pretty much a rehash of the post above. Think we were typing at the same time.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
From just checking twitter feeds from beat writers that cover Green Bay, it seems like Lazard is making a case if GB keeps 7 WR's. He still has work to do to be the 6th. They like that Shephard since he's gotten a couple of TD's (although Lazard did all the work to get them into the redzone) and he is a return guy. Lazard is doing exactly what he needs to do though. I couldn't imagine him not making the practice squad at least. If that is the case he is putting film out there for another squad to sign him away.

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I think Lazard is now in if they take 7. If they only take 6, its still going to be really tough for him. The top 5 are Adams, Allison, MVS, EQ, and Kumerow. It will be him and Shepherd battling for that 6th spot, but Shepherd also returns punts and kickoffs.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
He's put out some really good tape. I think there is a good chance he gets picked up by someone else if he does get cut by the Packers.

Yeah, if he keeps making plays then they might have a tough time sneaking him through waivers to the practice squad. But it's just so hard to tell. After the least preseason games nearly 1200 players will all get released in about a 24 hour time frame, which will mean a lot of churn at the bottom of every team's roster even after they get down to 53.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Does the 53 man roster number seem slight to anyone else?

Absolutely. Plus only 46 active on game day. As the game gets more and more physical it seems crazy that the number hasn't expanded yet. But I would guess that money plays a huge part in it. Unless the player's union is getting additional revenue from somewhere else then all they'd be doing by expanding rosters is dividing up their share of the pie with more players.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Absolutely. Plus only 46 active on game day. As the game gets more and more physical it seems crazy that the number hasn't expanded yet. But I would guess that money plays a huge part in it. Unless the player's union is getting additional revenue from somewhere else then all they'd be doing by expanding rosters is dividing up their share of the pie with more players.

Seems like a no brainer when it comes to biggest issue facing the game today (physical toll it takes on the players).

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Seems like a no brainer when it comes to biggest issue facing the game today (physical toll it takes on the players).

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the current CBA negotiations. If the owners keep pushing on their goal of expanding the regular season to eighteen games then surely one of the concessions would have to be expanded rosters and a larger percentage of the league revenue. Most teams limp into the postseason after sixteen games as it is.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Per The Athletic after last nights Packers game- Projecting the 53 man roster

"Wide receiver (7): Davante Adams, Geronimo Allison, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jake Kumerow, Equanimeous St. Brown, Darrius Shepherd, Allen Lazard

The last two spots in this group, assuming the Packers keep seven wide receivers, will be the hardest for Gutekunst to decide on come cutdown day."

"For now, Shepherd and Lazard earn the last two spots in a crowded receivers room. If the Packers keep only six, I’d take Shepherd over Lazard and Davis right now because of his return abilities"

I really think AL has a good shot. He's not in the top 6 but he's excelled on special teams. Having a quality WR stashed on special teams is a nice luxury.

What's working against him is they'll likely keep 4 TEs. If the 53 has 25 O 25 D and 3 ST we're looking normally 2 QB, 5 RB/FB, 6 WR 9 OL and 3 TE. So the 4th TE already takes one spot away from the D.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA

The 46 on active game day was created to balance out injuries for teams. So if one team had a rash of injuries they weren't at a big disadvantage.

From a business standpoint. The salary cap is still quite high. A good place to look at salaries is overthecap.com

Player salaries led to the packers making less than $1 mil in profit last year

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The 46 on active game day was created to balance out injuries for teams. So if one team had a rash of injuries they weren't at a big disadvantage.

From a business standpoint. The salary cap is still quite high. A good place to look at salaries is overthecap.com

Player salaries led to the packers making less than $1 mil in profit last year

Mark Murphy himself admitted that there were multiple outliers that affected the Packers' bottom line last year. Check what their reported profits were the year before and the year before that. Let's not pretend that NFL franchises are operating on a shoestring budget.

• Agree
Reactions: cycart

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I don't know much about NFL contracts, but I thought I remember that when he was signed off the JAX practice squad, GB was required to sign him to a 53 man roster contract, and it had this year guaranteed. But I can't find a link to what I remember. Does anybody else remember the details from last year?

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
I don't know much about NFL contracts, but I thought I remember that when he was signed off the JAX practice squad, GB was required to sign him to a 53 man roster contract, and it had this year guaranteed. But I can't find a link to what I remember. Does anybody else remember the details from last year?

Yes, He was signed to the 53 man roster essentially as a 2 week tryout at the end of the season. Because he was on the practice squad, the only way GB could get him was to get him on the active 53 man roster. You are not allowed to take someone from another practice squad and place on your practice squad, they have to be promoted to the active roster.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Yes, He was signed to the 53 man roster essentially as a 2 week tryout at the end of the season. Because he was on the practice squad, the only way GB could get him was to get him on the active 53 man roster. You are not allowed to take someone from another practice squad and place on your practice squad, they have to be promoted to the active roster.

Thanks, I didn't know how that worked

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron