Hakeem Butler not playing

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I checked the stats and Hakeem Butler has only played in 1 of the 2 games and it looks like the last one must have been very late. He has no catches so far. I am assuming he is just not NFL caliber since he is playing on a team that is not very good and he is still not even playing in the pre-season. I wonder if most of the issue is that he has too many drops. Dropping easy catches was definitely an issue at ISU for him.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I checked the stats and Hakeem Butler has only played in 1 of the 2 games and it looks like the last one must have been very late. He has no catches so far. I am assuming he is just not NFL caliber since he is playing on a team that is not very good and he is still not even playing in the pre-season. I wonder if most of the issue is that he has too many drops. Dropping easy catches was definitely an issue at ISU for him.

I'm not sure if one summer/preseason is enough to say he's not NFL caliber but he's certainly not seeming to get his footprint in AZ. Hopefully he can find the right situation.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I watched part of the Cardinals game last night. Murray was awful and the cardinals defense was shredded by oakland in the first half.

I said this before and got flamed for it but Butler could have definitely used another college FB year. I won't knock a guy for leaving early for a chance to make some money though.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
I read a practice report that sounded exactly like his time at Iowa State. Said he made some amazing catching but had a problem with dropping easy passes.

I saw this as well, my guess is he will be on the squad because of potential (as probably a 5th or 6th WR) but not getting a ton of PT like say David Montgomery will get with the Bears. He needs to get those drops in check before he will see the field regardless of how bad the Cards are.

• Agree
Reactions: VirginSturgeon

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I watched part of the Cardinals game last night. Murray was awful and the cardinals defense was shredded by oakland in the first half.

I said this before and got flamed for it but Butler could have definitely used another college FB year. I won't knock a guy for leaving early for a chance to make some money though.

Don't worry, I got flamed for saying he may not make the Cardinal roster...

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think it's safe to say Montgomery made the right choice as he could be the lead back in Chicago this year. Butler may eventually find a role in the NFL but he probably would not have hurt his draft stock by coming back and having a huge season while cutting down on the drops. He's now going up against much faster and stronger DB's in the NFL and those spectacular 50/50 balls he'd catch in college are probably more like 20/80 balls against NFL defenses.

Reactions: VirginSturgeon

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
You do know that isn't true. Jordan never got cut. It is something he made up, and he made a lot of things up.

Meh just going for a cheap laugh. Don't care about the actual facts on this one.