What music are you listening to right now?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006

Old town road. I’m not conflicted as to if this is a country song or not, since it’s pretty good. Take that as you will.

Reactions: StClone

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

Old town road. I’m not conflicted as to if this is a country song or not, since it’s pretty good. Take that as you will.

Timely.

Music interests have taken note of this song as it has gone global and the classification conflict it generates: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Town_Road

I watched a long segment on "Old Town Road" and several other songs which the music industry have successfully redirected into Country Trap genre (aka Country Rap). What I like is using a genuine Country sound (Country Music is something I really don't take seriously) as a vehicle. Rap, Hip Hop, and eclectic remix overlay the tracks while generating, yet not being totally undone by, humor verging on parody.

Curious song "Ghetto Cowboy" came to mind and I see they call this 1998! Bone Thugs-N-Harmony song the first of the type:

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA

Just picked up tickets for his show in Chicago in October as well.

You can listen to a good chunk of the album on Spotify as well right now.

For some of the older school Indie folks, David Berman (Silver Jews founder) has passed. He had just released new music with Purple Mountains and were scheduled to be in IC this fall. Super bummed. American Water and Tanglewood Numbers are some of my favorite albums.