G7 Parking Lot

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It seems like they are taking this much more seriously. In the past, they just gave tickets. Makes me wonder if some of the public safety folks have flexed their muscles. It wouldn't surprise me if they towed cars that park illegally and create a safety risk.

It was a no-brainer. The cost of a parking ticket was half what it would cost for a spot in a general public lot, so people just parked illegally wherever they could on side streets (or on grass medians).

The parking fine increase could have been a lot worse. They looked at what other university cities have done. One was Berkeley, where a ticket on a Cal game day could run up to $225.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

gbjames5

Oct 4, 2017
We had friends that were towed from HyVee two years ago and their bill to get the car back was $165. I wouldn't try it.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
Define small. when we were is g7 for a year we had a small bus that measured just under 24ft. I think it was 23 feet 10 inches. I emailed the cyclone club about vehicle length limit as I knew we had a biggish vehicle. I was told 24 ft. Printed off the email and took a tape measure just in case we were ever given grief. Never was an issue.
They say as long as the vehicle fits in a traditional parking spot you are good. Yes, even in g7 with the extra space, this is the rule.
Some things to consoder if you go the g7 route.

But, as others have noted g7 doesnt allow over night parking. Best bets would be haunted forest or vet med. Vet med opens 5 the evening before. Not sure about haunted forest.

Walmart parking lot maybe hy vee would always be an option to sleep the night before then get up early and move to g7. But that is fairly white trash. But also free. I would call the store to make sure it would be okay to do this though before just showing up.

Sam's Club could also be a good lot for overnight, and an easy route to the stadium. I have seen RVs there in the past.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
On a related note, are there enough spaces in G7 for a car even within an hour of kick off. First time buying parking passes and there is no way I will be there much before an hour for the 11 o'clock kick off.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
On a related note, are there enough spaces in G7 for a car even within an hour of kick off. First time buying parking passes and there is no way I will be there much before an hour for the 11 o'clock kick off.
There almost always is. Maybe not for Iowa, but there usually should be space.

Reactions: flycy

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
This is what the intramural fields between G7 and the stadium will look like when the work is all done in fall 2020. I wonder if they'll open the new small paved lot for tailgating.
upload_2019-8-15_11-33-5.png

Also, it would be nice if they'd open the new pavilion so tailgaters could have access to indoor bathrooms, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

upload_2019-8-15_11-35-8.png

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
This is what the intramural fields between G7 and the stadium will look like when the work is all done in fall 2020. I wonder if they'll open the new small paved lot for tailgating.

That'll be a gravel lot, like G6 is now.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
So G6 is operational this year? We were up there a few weeks ago, and I'm glad I"m out of that lot this year. Looked pretty torn up.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny

I was in G7 last year, with kids so we didn't show up much earlier than an hour before many of the games. They do a good job of directing traffic to fill in each slot and not letting people acquire a 1.5-2 spaces for their 1 vehicle. I also like that they direct it so much that once your line fills in you can get your set up out in the middle of land since there aren't vehicles driving down it anymore.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
So G6 is operational this year? We were up there a few weeks ago, and I'm glad I"m out of that lot this year. Looked pretty torn up.

I just asked that question last week after receiving my G6 pass, and ticket office confirmed G6 would be open.

• Informative
Reactions: NickTheGreat

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I was in G7 last year, with kids so we didn't show up much earlier than an hour before many of the games. They do a good job of directing traffic to fill in each slot and not letting people acquire a 1.5-2 spaces for their 1 vehicle. I also like that they direct it so much that once your line fills in you can get your set up out in the middle of land since there aren't vehicles driving down it anymore.

That's how they park the public grass lots too. It's awesome not having to move your stuff because a car is coming through, which is why the North lot is a deal breaker for me.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
View attachment 65704

Also, it would be nice if they'd open the new pavilion so tailgaters could have access to indoor bathrooms, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

View attachment 65705

I would bet that they'll be parking cars in the grass area to the east of that small lot. It will be the new G6. Pollard will want to capture as much of that donor money as possible. Lower level donors should be able to get into that lot vs paying $20 a game at Haunted Forest. I think that there's a reason why there are no intermural fields planned there.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Yes, but you can bet about an hour before kickoff after the lot is mostly full some goober decides they need to leave early and tries to drive down the lane forcing everyone to move their chairs and bag boards.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron