College Gameday in Ames?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I've been routinely surprised how laid back Hawk fans are in far NE IA. Most of them fit the "tavern hok" definition of being big Iowa fans that didn't go to Iowa, but they just aren't douchey about the rivalry. I've gotten to the point of being completely neutral about Iowa because I'm not dealing with Hawk that feel the need to **** on ISU constantly, which is something I encountered far more in other parts of the state.

Once you get past Waterloo/CF area, they really calm down.

Even hear in the DSM metro they have gotten pretty quiet. Sure you have a bunch of anonymous twitter dorks and people who call into the radio shows but the **** talking has really calmed down. They are nervous as fu** for the game this year and for good reason.

• Agree
Reactions: Brandon

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Even hear in the DSM metro they have gotten pretty quiet. Sure you have a bunch of anonymous twitter dorks and people who call into the radio shows but the **** talking has really calmed down. They are nervous as fu** for the game this year and for good reason.

I moved up that way in 2012 and expected the same type of crap you would get in the Des Moines media, and it's just never been that way. The Hawk fans up here just don't have the superiority complex. I'm not sure why, but it's refreshing.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I've been routinely surprised how laid back Hawk fans are in far NE IA. Most of them fit the "tavern hok" definition of being big Iowa fans that didn't go to Iowa, but they just aren't douchey about the rivalry. I've gotten to the point of being completely neutral about Iowa because I'm not dealing with Hawk that feel the need to **** on ISU constantly, which is something I encountered far more in other parts of the state.

Once you get past Waterloo/CF area, they really calm down.
Interesting. Things must have changed a heck of a lot since I grew up in the Delaware, Clayton, Buchanan, and Fayette county areas. Good to know.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Interesting. Things must have changed a heck of a lot since I grew up in the Delaware, Clayton, Buchanan, and Fayette county areas. Good to know.

To be fair, I'm even farther north. Decorah, Cresco, Calmar area.

There are plenty (still obvious minority) of Clone fans in that area, and my experience has always been good natured jabs, and none of the "stupid Clowns you guys should have to play us in Kinnick instead of Cowtown Lames" garbage.

The farthest northeast I've run into over the top Tavern Hok crap was at a bar in New Hampton in '07(? - the field goal game). It was about a month after the game, and I had an ISU hoodie on and some white trash drunk chick started yelling across the bar "YOU DIDN'T WIN. DIDN'T SCORE A TOUCHDOWN SO IT DOESN'T COUNT". I don't remember my smart ass response, but it was something to the point of them not understanding how football works on any level.

• Funny
Reactions: psychlone99

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Let's play the "what if" game and say okay, CGD is coming to Ames. Where do they set up?

*SE Rec fields - construction zone
*Brand new south plaza - no
*Scheman courtyard - construction zone

The next closest places are the new MWL rec fields or central campus.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
To be fair, I'm even farther north. Decorah, Cresco, Calmar area.

There are plenty (still obvious minority) of Clone fans in that area, and my experience has always been good natured jabs, and none of the "stupid Clowns you guys should have to play us in Kinnick instead of Cowtown Lames" garbage.

The farthest northeast I've run into over the top Tavern Hok crap was at a bar in New Hampton in '07(? - the field goal game). It was about a month after the game, and I had an ISU hoodie on and some white trash drunk chick started yelling across the bar "YOU DIDN'T WIN. DIDN'T SCORE A TOUCHDOWN SO IT DOESN'T COUNT". I don't remember my smart ass response, but it was something to the point of them not understanding how football works on any level.
I'm in this neck of the woods too, probably around the same time, 08 or 09, some drunk chick at the bar screaming at me to "take off my ISU sweatshirt and burn it, how could you wear that, this is the Hawkeye State!" Knowing how trashy drunk she was, I responded with, "I wear this because I went to ISU, you wear that hawkeye shirt because you went to Walmart." That pretty much ended that conversation.

For the most part I agree though, most are pretty level headed up here.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm in this neck of the woods too, probably around the same time, 08 or 09, some drunk chick at the bar screaming at me to "take off my ISU sweatshirt and burn it, how could you wear that, this is the Hawkeye State!" Knowing how trashy drunk she was, I responded with, "I wear this because I went to ISU, you wear that hawkeye shirt because you went to Walmart." That pretty much ended that conversation.

For the most part I agree though, most are pretty level headed up here.

The incident I described is honestly the only time I can think of getting involved, or being the recipient of that unfounded, condescending rivalry crap in this area.

When I lived in Des Moines, it happened almost weekly. And ISU fans are a much larger demographic there - which maybe explains it.

• Winner
Reactions: SolarGarlic

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Let's play the "what if" game and say okay, CGD is coming to Ames. Where do they set up?

*SE Rec fields - construction zone
*Brand new south plaza - no
*Scheman courtyard - construction zone

The next closest places are the new MWL rec fields or central campus.

South Side of the stadium?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The incident I described is honestly the only time I can think of getting involved, or being the recipient of that unfounded, condescending rivalry crap in this area.

When I lived in Des Moines, it happened almost weekly. And ISU fans are a much larger demographic there - which maybe explains it.
I live in the metro and the only Iowa fan I can think of that was a jerk to me was at the fair walking by the ISU booth. Started chanting go hawks and was kind of getting in everyones face at the booth a little bit. Drunk obviously. He stumbled off pretty quickly.

The worst was in Chicago. Went to a Cubs game wearing a Cyclone hat and this hawk fan was on a drunk bus outside the stadium. He was hanging half way out the window and screaming every expletive I can think of at the top of his lungs while giving me double guns. He seemed genuinely pissed. I just laughed at him. It was so over the top psychotic looking it was funny.

I rarely get anything beyond light hearted ribbing in person and I give it back. It's way worse on the internet, present company included.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Central Campus would a decent spot but I'd sure like it if it were closer to the stadium.

Central campus is the spot IMO. The backdrop would really showcase the beauty of the campus. The only possible spot close to the stadium would be the intramural fields and that would look awful. other than the stadium in the background it is wide open and blah.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I live in the metro and the only Iowa fan I can think of that was a jerk to me was at the fair walking by the ISU booth. Started chanting go hawks and was kind of getting in everyones face at the booth a little bit. Drunk obviously. He stumbled off pretty quickly.

The worst was in Chicago. Went to a Cubs game wearing a Cyclone hat and this hawk fan was on a drunk bus outside the stadium. He was hanging half way out the window and screaming every expletive I can think of at the top of his lungs while giving me double guns. He seemed genuinely pissed. I just laughed at him. It was so over the top psychotic looking it was funny.

I rarely get anything beyond light hearted ribbing in person and I give it back. It's way worse on the internet, present company included.

This is why I avoid East Sider night at the fair...

• Winner
Reactions: Remo Gaggi