Vacation Question...

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Question: While on vacation would you rather have:

A) Food Poisoning

or

B) No Internet Access

Well, according to a recent survey (by Roku) more people would rather suffer from food poisoning while (47% say it is a disaster) on vacation than have no internet access (49% say it is a disaster).

In addition it takes Americans on average 26.5 minutes to ask for the wifi password at a vacation rental; and 31.1 minutes for kids to ask their parents to watch tv while vacationing.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
B. I barely use my phone on vacation. Last time I didn’t take a single photo and the only texts I sent were for dinner reservations that didn’t give me food poisoning.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Its always context:

If it is a vacation that requires a lot of information, like we are driving 8 states over 2 weeks in New England, we need Internet and phones to navigate, find places to visit, and enjoy the vacation.

If we are on a cruise ship, we lock up our phones when we get on the boat and don't turn them on until we get off.

In general, we need a vacation from the Internet and email, so for us, we look for vacations that allow us to unplug. We still use cameras for pictures.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Easy, No Internet Access.
You can and should still enjoy your vacation without Internet access. Escaping from social media, email, etc. are a part of going on vacation.
Food poisoning will ruin everything. EVERYTHING.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I mostly do an hour with my phone or laptop at the end of the night with a nightcap and usually a cigar. Minus GPS and picture taking.

**** food poisoning, I've only had it once and I would like to keep it that way

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not having Internet is good for you on vacation.

I like going overseas, putting my phone on airplane mode, and not turning it back on until I am landing at Dulles or something. No more relaxing way to be for awhile.

Reactions: STATE12

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Vacation is about doing what you want. You want to do internet? Fantastic here’s some internet.

You want to do watch tv? Excellent here’s a TV don’t let me catch you not letting me do what I want to do for vacation. Which is likely drinking, doing drugs, and driving large speedboats.

• Optimistic
Reactions: discydisc

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
If I knew I wouldn't have internet and could plan for it with paper maps and pre-selected activities and restaurants then I'd be ok. If I left home and suddenly all internet was lost, I'd be SOL. I suppose that's why the AAA lady also gave me a paper map when all I asked for was a guide book for our trip this weekend. Maybe I shouldn't have thrown it away already....

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
If I knew I wouldn't have internet and could plan for it with paper maps and pre-selected activities and restaurants then I'd be ok. If I left home and suddenly all internet was lost, I'd be SOL. I suppose that's why the AAA lady also gave me a paper map when all I asked for was a guide book for our trip this weekend. Maybe I shouldn't have thrown it away already....

I still like to have paper maps around because for me it makes it easier to make new diversions if I see a sign for something that catches my eye. Darn GPS only likes to give you one choice and sometimes I like to deviate from it and a paper map makes it easier for me to. Really like GPS for finding a specific place and getting to it though.

Have a great trip.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Somewhat unrelated, but I recently deleted my work e-mail from my phone and it has significantly improved my quality of life.

• Winner
Reactions: jcyclonee

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I am assuming that the people who chose food poisoning have never had it.

I had it nearly 30 years ago and still remember how horribly sick I felt like it was yesterday. Vomiting, diarrhea, and was covered with every blanket that I owned and still shivering. I probably should have gone to the hospital, but didn't.

I recently spent 3 days camping with no cell service and it was great.

• Winner
Reactions: cyclonedave25

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
My vacations are usually fly-in fishing trips in Canada.

The place we've been going for a few years recently built new cabins. They now have flushing toilets.
The water for showering and the toilets comes from the lake.
They fly-in the drinking water.

Solar panels and a backup generator power the batteries that provide the power for the lights and all the c pap machines for the sleep apnea folks.

Internet isnt even a thought. I suppose food poisoning could be.

And although they probably could put in satelite internet, it is quite unnecessary. They provide a satelite phone for emergencies for free and for personal use too, at a cost.

Reactions: NWICY

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
If it is a vacation that requires a lot of information, like we are driving 8 states over 2 weeks in New England, we need Internet and phones to navigate, find places to visit, and enjoy the vacation.

I think over the past year or so I've had food poisoning twice (big shoutout to the sports page in ankeny and hy-vee's grocery pickup service)

I'm picking option B over A 100% of the time: I'd rather drive lost than ****/throw up all over the car

• Funny
Reactions: SpokaneCY