On That Note: Bang on the Drum

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Chad Sexton is a phenomenal drummer. His technique is fantastic and his creativity on fills is wonderful.
Interesting fact: He marched drum corp when he was younger. My brass caption head (basically lead director of the horn line) for Colt Drum and Bugle Corps marched with Chad in a small corps out of Omaha.

Applied Science is obviously his biggest solo recognition.
One of my favorites that has a ton of Chad featured is Feels So Good:

This album is one of the first where I listened to just the drum to try and catch all the intricacies. Great freaking drummer who doesn't get much credit.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Chad Sexton is a phenomenal drummer. His technique is fantastic and his creativity on fills is wonderful.
Interesting fact: He marched drum corp when he was younger. My brass caption head (basically lead director of the horn line) for Colt Drum and Bugle Corps marched with Chad in a small corps out of Omaha.

Applied Science is obviously his biggest solo recognition.
One of my favorites that has a ton of Chad featured is Feels So Good:

This album is one of the first where I listened to just the drum to try and catch all the intricacies. Great freaking drummer who doesn't get much credit.

He’s got a different rhythm than most people can hear in their heads. I’m not a drummer but I call it his ability to do those “on time out of time” hits if that makes sense. When I think about it, it makes sense, it is very “drum Corp” in a way.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
He’s got a different rhythm than most people can hear in their heads. I’m not a drummer but I call it his ability to do those “on time out of time” hits if that makes sense. When I think about it, it makes sense, it is very “drum Corp” in a way.

Yep, if you ever listen to snare lines in a drum corps, especially during big drum features, they'll do a ton of that syncopated stuff and mess with the time signature, all while being incredibly precise in and out of the pocket. Chad's snare work is usually prominent much more than a lot of rock drummers who spend more time on the toms and cymbals.

• Informative
Reactions: Gunnerclone

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Lots of great drummers listed in this thread!

Portnoy of Dream Theater is pretty good too..... BUT,

Neil Peart sets the standard for which others are measured.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Another one for modern drumming that all the kids want to drum like these days...Matt Halpern of Periphery

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
And one more of my personal modern favorites...Travis Orbin ex Sky Eats Airplane, ex Periphery, current Darkest Hour drummer...I love how small his kit is...

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Not exactly a specific song and/or a solo, but this Anderson Paak portion of "Movin' Backwards" with a Tribe Called Quest (starting at 2:03, but listening to it all makes it better imo) gives me goosebumps pretty much every time.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp