Jon Wilner ranks Iowa State #8 in pre-season AP ballot

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Nice to see some optimism from others, but I'm going to guess that he is an outlier. Shoot, I'm not sure I'm confident to put ISU 8th.

He'll definitely be an outlier with a few of those picks, notably ISU at #8. Utah is #6. Ohio State outside the top 10. A&M only 25th, although that might be prescient, that schedule is *not* smooth sailing. No Auburn; Fresno and Cincinnati probably higher than most. He isn't all that sold on Big 10 as a whole compared to rankings we've seen throughout the offseason.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
He'll definitely be an outlier with a few of those picks, notably ISU at #8. Utah is #6. Ohio State outside the top 10. A&M only 25th, although that might be prescient, that schedule is *not* smooth sailing. No Auburn; Fresno and Cincinnati probably higher than most. He isn't all that sold on Big 10 as a whole compared to rankings we've seen throughout the offseason.

That is the genius about making several outlier picks. If you get one right, you feel good about yourself and brag for the whole off-season about it.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
ISU high and f the B1G, I like this guy more and more.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Jon Wilner out of San Jose ranked Iowa State in his top 10 at #8.

Here's the rest of his ballot.

8. Iowa State: Our third sleeper pick — more because of the Cyclones’ top-10 position than their ballot inclusion. They won eight games last year, return 16 starters (including quarterback Brock Purdy) and have one of the top coaches in the country (Matt Campbell).​

giphy.gif

Rad.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Also note, this is how the voter expects the poll to end up!

3. The ballot below is a general projection of where I believe each team will end the season, so the schedule plays an important role in the evaluation. Once results roll in, we’ll adjust accordingly.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Also note, this is how the voter expects the poll to end up!

3. The ballot below is a general projection of where I believe each team will end the season, so the schedule plays an important role in the evaluation. Once results roll in, we’ll adjust accordingly.
So according to his rankings, he is predicting us to be 11-2 (or 12-1) with the only lose(s) being to Oklahoma, and facing off against Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
Everyone would have this team in their top 10 if the jerseys said Sooners instead of Cyclones.

• Agree
Reactions: flycy

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Jon Wilner out of San Jose ranked Iowa State in his top 10 at #8.

Here's the rest of his ballot.

8. Iowa State: Our third sleeper pick — more because of the Cyclones’ top-10 position than their ballot inclusion. They won eight games last year, return 16 starters (including quarterback Brock Purdy) and have one of the top coaches in the country (Matt Campbell).​
Jon Wilner is a gogdang GENIUS - I tell ya!

• Funny
Reactions: Aclone and aauummm