College Gameday in Ames?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I have inside knowledge that if both teams are undefeated after week 2 CGD will be in Ames. I hope this stops the what ifs. it comes down to 1 thing. both undefeated. I cant reveal who it is so dont ask.
giphy.gif

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Not a big fan of Gameday here for the iowa game, versus Texas would be a better deal for all involved. But Keosauqua and Van Buren County is a beautiful county to drive through in the fall with the changing of the leaves. Keo not a horrible town to live or work in, if you are into fishing and hunting.

I really like that part of the state, but it’s full of stereotypical “tavern hoks”

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
No, it won't, but there will be some Hawk fans there and I don't want to share any of our "coming out party" on Gameday with some bro'd out bros from Naperville and starter t-shirt wearing "Hawk fans" that drive up in the 1994 Astro Van from some no-name town in SE Iowa like Keosaqua.

Put Hawkeyes on my belly dude as the common hawk fan and ones not familiar with hawk fans will see the hawks for what they truly are.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
ANY game but the Squawkeye game. We don't want to share that day with them. But that's what ESPN will probably do.
Effin hate that TOE.

Like it or not, but it's the one marquee game that showcases the entire state, and the weather would actually be pretty decent for it. I love that we get Texas in the middle of November, but we risk having cold, terrible weather that would mute the turnout for an early morning cable talk show.

• Winner
Reactions: TwinCitiesCy

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Agree, have lots of friends down there that are ISU Ag College alums.

Since ISU started focusing on becoming the State school for Iowa residents, and Iowa decided to become Western Chicago University, the number of ISU grads in the state has totally changed. I really see that in the under 30 crowd. Reading through the local paper for the senior spotlight, more of the kids are going to Iowa State than Iowa and its not even close down here in Southern Iowa. Give it another 10 years, and Iowa State grads will out number Iowa grads here in the state.
Our fan base is younger, which bodes well for the future, while the Iowa fan base is wealthier but a lot older.

Last edited by a moderator:

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
I have inside knowledge that if both teams are undefeated after week 2 CGD will be in Ames. I hope this stops the what ifs. it comes down to 1 thing. both undefeated. I cant reveal who it is so dont ask.
Never underestimate the influence Ray Cole has in Bristol. I think it will be coming if both teams don't lose. I do expect a politician as picker. Which I'd rather have than Kutcher, Zacheye, Shawn Johnson or any pro wrestler. I could see Hornacek as a darkhorse if they want someone with ISU ties to do it. Several MBB Alumni in town that weekend as it is shaping up.

• Agree
Reactions: dahliaclone

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Like it or not, but it's the one marquee game that showcases the entire state, and the weather would actually be pretty decent for it. I love that we get Texas in the middle of November, but we risk having cold, terrible weather that would mute the turnout for an early morning cable talk show.

If we're doing well enough that gameday would consider showing up here in November, excitement would be high enough that ISU fans would show up whenever wherever.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
They are all over, but its changing over the past 20 years. There are a lot of ISU fans down here, and it seems more every year.
We have some friends down south of Washington. We took our iowa state tailgating bus down there for a 30th birthday party. (Registered as an RV so we can drink in the living quarters while in motion) anyway, we had it parked visible from the road and probably 1 in 5 cars driving by gave honks of approval. I was mildly surprised by that as we really weren't far from that cesspool over there.
We did have to stop on the edge of iowa city to fill up with diesel. It was late at night so it wasnt busy. Dont know if that's good or bad but noone got stabbed and our bus survived. Had a person ask what our license plate stood for (F T H). I just said I bet you can figure it out. He may still be scratching his head.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Since ISU started focusing on becoming the State school for Iowa residents, and Iowa decided to become Western Chicago University, the number of ISU grads in the state has totally changed. I really see that in the under 30 crowd. Reading through the local paper for the senior spotlight, more of the kids are going to Iowa State than Iowa and its not even close down here in Southern Iowa. Give it another 10 years, and Iowa State grads will out number Iowa grads here in the state.
Our fan base is younger, which bolds well for the future, while the Iowa fan base is wealthier but a lot older.
I'm so tired of this narrative. It is a five minute jog from my front door to the Welcome to Naperville sign. You would be amazed at the number of I-State decals on cars, I-State flags flying from porches. Kids around here like ISU. Daughter confirms it. Lots of her fellow students are taking visits, and are enrolling.

Basically, if you hate Iowa because of the Western Chicago Suburbs kids, then you also hate Iowa State.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I'm so tired of this narrative. It is a five minute jog from my front door to the Welcome to Naperville sign. You would be amazed at the number of I-State decals on cars, I-State flags flying from porches. Kids around here like ISU. Daughter confirms it. Lots of her fellow students are taking visits, and are enrolling.

Basically, if you hate Iowa because of the Western Chicago Suburbs kids, then you also hate Iowa State.

The student population of ISU is over 80% from the state, Iowa is a little over 50%, most of those out of state kids are from the Chicago area, is what the numbers show.
Its not hate, when its the truth.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

I don't think he's saying that Chicago kids don't come to ISU or that ISU grads don't live in the Chicago area. Obviously they do. It's just not as much as Iowa City and Iowa. That's fairly obvious. Lower-end Big 10 school three hours away from home, it's not a mystery.

Sorry, but UI is more closely associated with suburban Chicago kids than ISU. ISU has plenty of suburban Chicago kids, but more small-town Iowa kids. If I'm being honest, I prefer the Chicago kids.

• Useful
Reactions: RedDog